films you've seen recently and would NOT recommend

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I heard 'Frailty' was meant to be good gothic horror, and I really rated Bill Pullman's sense of noir in 'Lost Highway', but damn is this film lacking in atmosphere. Gave up after an hour.

slowtrain

This film is a pain in the arse...

Inclue me out is yr blog??

It's a classic bro, I really enjoy it

That said, I enjoyed the Hurt Locker, I didn't think it was the best film of the year, but as far as tense film-making goes I quite enjoyed (undecided on the political aspect though, I dont know enough to comment as of this moment)

Last edited:

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Yes, I'm the guilty party.
Thanks for the compliment.
(like many bloggers with a small readership, I'm sure, I sometimes think it's a waste of time...but then the occasional sign of enjoyment from a reader (or two) makes me reconsider)

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Re Hurt Locker, I expected more, but in what sense I'm not sure. It simply didn't grip me the way I thought it should.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Yes, I'm the guilty party.
Thanks for the compliment.
(like many bloggers with a small readership, I'm sure, I sometimes think it's a waste of time...but then the occasional sign of enjoyment from a reader (or two) makes me reconsider)

I subbed to yr blog a while back, btw. I always read what you write, even if I don't say anything much.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Saw Fellini's Satyricon yesterday on the big screen and it was just astoundingly dull. I don't get it - basically about as insane and constantly inventive as a Jodorowsky number, yet I just didn't give a shit about most any of it. Weird.

Nice Dockstader soundtrack, I suppose. Bloop bloop.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Ah shame, that's the Fellini film I liked the most I think (of the ones I've seen). Just loved this aspect of it really

"basically about as insane and constantly inventive as a Jodorowsky number"
But I can see that it's very disjointed and parts of the narrative are literally missing (I believe he adapted the fragments remaining of the original novel verbatim and made no attemp to fill in the gaps) but I thought that that contributed to the sumptuously hallucinatory quality of the film. Also, enough is there to get some kind of ghost of a narrative if I remember correctly.

nochexxx

harco pronting
not sure i trust Gattis's film tastes after watching Blood On Satan's Claw. pretty trite i thought. i guess The Wicker Man is about as good as it gets as far as 'folk horror' is concerned.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"not sure i trust Gattis's film tastes after watching Blood On Satan's Claw. pretty trite i thought."
Seems that we've got very similar taste - that's another one where I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about.

gumdrops

saw the leopard last night after much anticipation (been wanting to see it since august or so but kept missing it where it was being shown) but whether it was the film or my company (i do find it hard to concentrate when the person youre with is audibly not into a film) who were putting me off, but found it visually gorgeous/decadent but too indulgent, esp pacing wise. glad i stayed til the end though (several people left early) as i would have missed the ballroom scene otherwise. but it could have done with a sharper edit.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"saw the leopard last night after much anticipation (been wanting to see it since august or so but kept missing it where it was being shown) but whether it was the film or my company (i do find it hard to concentrate when the person youre with is audibly not into a film) who were putting me off, but found it visually gorgeous/decadent but too indulgent, esp pacing wise. glad i stayed til the end though (several people left early) as i would have missed the ballroom scene otherwise. but it could have done with a sharper edit."
What language did you watch it in? As far as I remember you have a choice of having the main star dubbed into Italian or having him speak English with everyone else dubbed. Seems a strange position and one that's not entirely satisfactory either way.

ether

I seem to be in the minority here but found 'inception' dreadful, like being trapped inside of a perfume advert, expensive, over stylized and vapid. A heady mix of trixy Escher optical illusions, ropey dreamlike surrealism and post-matrix cod philosophy all made me fell a bit woozy and cheated. -This films about as interesting as listening to other people talk about their dreams.

Benny Bunter

I seem to be in the minority here but found 'inception' dreadful, like being trapped inside of a perfume advert, expensive, over stylized and vapid. A heady mix of trixy Escher optical illusions, ropey dreamlike surrealism and post-matrix cod philosophy all made me fell a bit woozy and cheated. -This films about as interesting as listening to other people talk about their dreams.

Saw this at the cinema and I agree completely. What a pile of shite. Like you say, all these 'post-matrix cod-philosophy' films are awful. Why do people buy into this tripe?

michael

Bring out the vacuum
The main thing I'd say about Inception is it's pretty forgettable. I just can't imagine people talking about it in a few years. Could be wrong, of course...

Didn't think it was much to do with "philosophy" in the way the Matrix was trying to be - I saw it as a film about making films, and thought it was quite fun in that regard. I definitely don't think it's "vapid" at all.

That said, I found it boring, especially the action bits, was furious at the music, couldn't overlook heaps of silly plot holes, and basically felt like I'd wasted my time and money. I didn't really care to go digging for what it all meant because on the surface layer there wasn't enough that I gave a shit about.

Watched Paprika the other night and although it's a more superficial thing and guilty of the "but what is real?" Matrix yang, it was just so much more damn enjoyable a film about both dreaming and films. And it's so OTT I could ignore all the ways it didn't made sense... Or maybe enough fun that I didn't think about it too hard at the time?

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
don't axe me why but i rented Splice last weekend. even though Sinead O'connor is kinda extra freakishly hot in it i would certainly NOT recommend.