Dubstep is revolting

Blackdown

nexKeysound
i thought as a journalist you would see the worth of this being aired out in public seeing as it concerns two very important parties in dubstep.

Though everyone else is enjoying the hype to others' detriment, airing it in public has inflamed the situation and made it harder to resolve, not easier. i dont see this as remotely beneficial to either party.

furthermore, in my experience, if i were to be the one to first 'air' these disputes, i'd find myself becoming the target of both parties frustrations. if you'd like to pursue this role gumdrops, it's all yours.

Last edited:

gumdrops

obviously for you thats more difficult as youre part of the scene, youre not just a journalist reporting on it, so the stakes are higher for you, and your ties to the people involved make it harder to separate relationships from exploiting the journalistic merits of the story. but if anyone else was to write a story on it, id see nothing wrong with it. it would be good to get both sides of the story. so far we only know deapohs. like matt mason, i think exposing these sorts of things can often be a good thing. but in fairness, we should probably get ammunition and rinses views on it first. cos we have nothing to go on as far as finding out what they think about it.

mos dan

fact music
sorry martin, didn't mean to put you on the spot! tbh i think it's a bit deadlocked now anyway, difficult to see a way forward in terms of resolution or furtherance of the debate.

and gumdrops, ammunition have responded now - check the dubstep forum.

mms

sometimes
i dunno i think the 'ammunition/tempa have the dubstep scene sewn up' is tempa/ammunitions party line from now on sadly and what they will puroport to the press, in advertising etc...
sadly they put out comparably wack records nowdays too.

ramadanman

i dunno i think the 'ammunition/tempa have the dubstep scene sewn up' is tempa/ammunitions party line from now on sadly and what they will puroport to the press, in advertising etc...

gotta disagree. benga 12", d1 double pack, skreamizm 3, headhunter 12" - all sick sick records!

benjybars

village elder.

also gotta disagree

nomos

Administrator
i'm with mms. you can't really say tempa is leading the way right now. more that it's playing to the market. the real fwd momentum is elsewhere. i'm not necessarily buying everything they put out anymore - put it that way.

ramadanman

i don't think that all music released has to be forward thinking in its attitude

also, tempa has a release every month or more, whereas DMZ and hyperdub release fewer records.

elgato

I just dont know
for me tempa pretty much represents orthodoxy in the scene now. in a way it has to be someone though i guess. and i still have ridiculous respect for them for pretty much all of 001-020

some of those d1 tracks are next imo, the tribal one with the pitched 808 cowbells is unreal

i think the next skream (if they choose the right tracks) could be quite amazing too

nomos

Administrator
and i still have ridiculous respect for them for pretty much all of 001-020

Me too, give or take either side of 20.

for me tempa pretty much represents orthodoxy in the scene now. in a way it has to be someone though i guess.

This is basically what I mean though. It's not that they have to reinvent the wheel each time. But as often as not, their recent ones leave me cold. They seem to be consolidating an idea of what dubstep, as a recognizable and marketable thing, 'is'. No reason for them not to, but it doesn't do much for me either.

mms

sometimes
i don't think that all music released has to be forward thinking in its attitude

not if it's going to have a scene all sewn up, no.

also, tempa has a release every month or more, whereas DMZ and hyperdub release fewer records.

exactly, quality being more important than quantity??..

not just dmz and hyperdub, also skulldisco, hotflush, tectonic, deepmedi even... all releasing consistently better records than tempa.

Last edited:

UFO over easy

online mahjong
the d1 release is one of the most incredibly varied releases ever in dubstep, absolutely fantastic release, I'm really surprised you can't find something you like there. Malfunction and Quantum Jazz are just incredibly deep... skunk tip by benga is also incredibly deeply strange :)

I don't think tempa represent orthodoxy in dubstep at all, I think they represent what's popular.. and that's not the same thing at all.

mms

sometimes
the d1 release is one of the most incredibly varied releases ever in dubstep, absolutely fantastic release, I'm really surprised you can't find something you like there. Malfunction and Quantum Jazz are just incredibly deep... skunk tip by benga is also incredibly deeply strange :)

I don't think tempa represent orthodoxy in dubstep at all, I think they represent what's popular.. and that's not the same thing at all.

i think there was one good track on it, but i found it very dull, compared to d1's other stuff too. that bring it back chip munk track is absolutley awful too, regardless of whether anyones done that before or not, it sounds horrible. i already said i liked the benga release.

to be honest Blackdown

it sounds like your sitting on the fence...but that still means you need to watch out for splinters...

I understand what you mean though

I can't find this reply on that website - link?

Blackdown

nexKeysound
To be honest Tactics...

please dont chat my name. thanks. this dispute has nothing to do with me. i dont have any insider knowledge on it to add and i think both sides have come out of it looking bad. that's not fence sitting, that's my position on it.

calm down man

please dont chat my name. thanks. this dispute has nothing to do with me. i dont have any insider knowledge on it to add and i think both sides have come out of it looking bad. that's not fence sitting, that's my position on it.

its an opinion. everyone has one. lets not get...

anyway

what I'm meaning is that you as a distinguished journo and steeped in the scene, its history blah blah your the only one who could do a good piece on it. others have given pointers (mason especially)...I'm sure you've thought about it...that's all...i'm sure if this was a grime issue you might wanna write something or expect someone to...somehow lol

actually...I guess we'll see this on your pitchfork bits. so its cool

nothing to see here lol

Last edited: