Dubstep is revolting

Logos

Ghosts of my life
The real problem here for me is that not that Rinse/Ammunition wanted sole distribution of their own radio shows, but that they've done it very poorly in the past (Rinse always down etc) and Deapoh has done it so brilliantly. If they end up offering a comparable level of service to Barefiles it would be almost forgivable, but I'd be surprised if they manage that, and I suspect the music will the loser here. Plus there were all sorts of compromises that could be reached.

Definitely OTM.

e.g. dubplate.net. It was the vacum created by that going down (a the time tempa weren't releasing anything either, it was a very barren period for the music) that started dubstepforum.com and (arguably) the spreading internationally of the sound which was aided so effectively by barefiles. The real key thing about spreading music using the web is that its the boring, mundane things that have the most effect - e.g. actually being arsed to upload shows in a timely fashion, at regular intervals to people can keep up with the micro-developments in the sound week by week. Not by having a flashy (or not so flashy - rinse) website with zero content.

Last edited:

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
^^ totally agree with Derek and Logos.

Barefiles succeeded because it executed, it delivered.

Ammunition has a tendency to fail to deliver with web projects.

ramadanman

@ the guy who was chatting earlier about why deapoh didn't sell bare files

really not as simple as that!

imagine you're DJing on rinse fm, and doing lots of work for them etc

then ammo come along and say "sell us bare files or you lose all association with us"

you could go as far to call it blackmail!

especially seeing as the money involved was a slap in the face.

Don Rosco

What I don't get, is why on earth Ammo&co would want to organise the hosting of their radiosets, if they can have both organisation and bandwidth arranged by someone else for free?

Astonishing behaviour, quite apart from the dubious legal / moral aspects. How incredibly short-sighted and mean spirited. I was wavering over the plus sign of a Tempa release on Redeye when I saw this thread. It made my mind up for me...

I can't say i'm surprised though. I know nothing about ammunition, but this seems like a typical London greed / music biz move.

old goriot

this is what I don't understand:
As a (non-subscription based) station, rinse are not selling the radio stream to the public in the first place. They are selling ad space (and dj slots) that are only made more valuable by having them archived and sent out to a larger audience. Why in the world would you not welcome someone who dramatically enlarges the market reached by your advertisers and DJs? Isn't that the whole point of a radio station? If you had a legal FM station and some superfan decided to set up a second transmitter that doubles the number of people who hear your station, what possible reason is there for telling him to cease and desist? you already give the signal away for free to as many people as you can

Last edited:

old goriot

Originally Posted by m99188868
What I don't get, is why on earth Ammo&co would want to organise the hosting of their radiosets, if they can have both organisation and bandwidth arranged by someone else for free?

lol.. I guess my point is a bit redundant. didn't notice this earlier in the thread

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
this is what I don't understand:
As a (non-subscription based) station, rinse are not selling the radio stream to the public in the first place. They are selling ad space (and dj slots) that are only made more valuable by having them archived and sent out to a larger audience. Why in the world would you not welcome someone who dramatically enlarges the market reached by your advertisers and DJs? Isn't that the whole point of a radio station? If you had a legal FM station and some superfan decided to set up a second transmitter that doubles the number of people who hear your station, what possible reason is there for telling him to cease and desist? you already give the signal away for free to as many people as you can

archived sets usually won't have ads in them, and certainly not current ones. of course that doesn't mean that something mutually beneficial couldn't have been worked out and that the archives don't work as great promotion for the station anyway.

elgato

I just dont know
i suspect that'll be what he has up his sleeve

in the extract he posted though...

"The only site/host/place that ANY Rinse sets or sets from Rinse FM
artists; including pre-records
, recordings of the stream, live
events , performances, interviews (and any other) across all formats
will ONLY be available from an official Rinse site from now on (i.e.
rinse.fm and for the avoidance of doubt this means not on Barefiles)"

CFour

in the extract he posted though...

"The only site/host/place that ANY Rinse sets or sets from Rinse FM
artists; including pre-records
, recordings of the stream, live
events , performances, interviews (and any other) across all formats
will ONLY be available from an official Rinse site from now on (i.e.
rinse.fm and for the avoidance of doubt this means not on Barefiles)"

there are ways round this that he's aware of

elgato

I just dont know
there are ways round this that he's aware of

well at the end of the day the precise words im pretty sure are mostly meaningless, it sounds to me like theyre chatting a little breeze on the legal front, but the issue is that they wield an enormous amount of power in the scene, and can (i imagine) make things very difficult for someone if they so choose...

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
New question:

Why does Deapoh want to continue running barefiles for no pay? What exactly does he get out of barefiles when he refuses another organization's offer to run it for him and pay him for his trouble?

adruu

This Is It
i think they were going for the "i got it for cheap" angle, meaning the money was not even close to covering cost, time and value...

interesting that they tried to buy dubstepforum also, which came up in the forum thread...

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
New question:

Why does Deapoh want to continue running barefiles for no pay? What exactly does he get out of barefiles when he refuses another organization's offer to run it for him and pay him for his trouble?

well for one he's built up a tremendous 'brand' and we all know there are many ways to make that pay. plus if it was your baby would you want to let it go? and then there's the principle of keeping out of the hands of people who may be a little too business minded for the common good. let's wait and see anyway...

ripley

New question:

yes, why do we all spend endless hours talking about music here on this board when it doesn't pay?

why do I buy music when it doesn't pay?

why do I play all my favorite new tracks for my friends to hear when it doesn't pay?

(some exaggeration here, but actually, your question is exactly what Microsoft, Apple, and Sony are asking about all the people who appear to do tech support for the joy of it on usergroups, and what lots of games companies rely on to have their games be good - fans writing levels and characters. Lots of people like to be involved in things for multiple reasons, of which "pay" is a small or an indirect part)

mos dan

fact music
i'd like to hear blackdown's take on this given that, afaik, he has:

1) an appreciation of what barefiles has done in spreading the word

AND

2) some ties to ammunition

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
So far the only "names" to have spoken are Pokes and Paul Scuba (in support of Deapoh) and Luke Envoy (who went out of his way to be kind to Deapoh, but broadly understood Ammunition's point of view).

adruu

This Is It
spaceboy is elsid i think

The problem with "not paying" though is that it often makes it easier for people of means (street: rich ass kids) to be involved than people who dont.

Of course this is nothing new, and I dont think its really applicable to Deapoh. It is applicable in some mash-up type stuff, where accumulation makes pastiche much easier, and is a function of digital harvest vs. talent.