Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Dissensus Pro-Tip:

- Criticize things based purely on blanket generalizations about the people who enjoy them as if that has anything to do with the value of the work itself, and not your desperate self-conscious attempts to distance yourself from whatever it is you think being one of "those people" entails

This, btw, does my head in.

Yep. Nailed it.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Luka is the most right here. There is something not only sacred, but also undeniably funny about a man having a genuine king-hell catharsis on stage, alone, in front of a microphone and a room of baffled people who are there to judge him. Most people cite Hicks' least funny period of his career as the one where he was just a spiteful, nasty alcoholic. The purity is part of what makes it funny.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Dissensus Pro-Tip:

- Criticize things based purely on blanket generalizations about the people who enjoy them as if that has anything to do with the value of the work itself, and not your desperate self-conscious attempts to distance yourself from whatever it is you think being one of "those people" entails

but you're obv desperately worried about being defined as one of 'those people', and therefore are worried when such criticisms occur. Otherwise it wouldn't do your head in so much. Works both ways round. You're as desperately self-conscious as anyone else on here ffs, as you've just illustrated!

Which is not to say that I don't get riled by similar things, just that you have to realise what that entails about you - being self-conscious about being self-conscious!

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Luka is the most right here. There is something not only sacred, but also undeniably funny about a man having a genuine king-hell catharsis on stage, alone, in front of a microphone and a room of baffled people who are there to judge him. Most people cite Hicks' least funny period of his career as the one where he was just a spiteful, nasty alcoholic. The purity is part of what makes it funny.

but Peter Cook was a similarly nasty, spiteful alcoholic, and was still funny. Aaaaaanyways.

The last sentence is an interesting debate to have, and sounds mildly comparable to "hearing the pain in the music is what makes it compelling". Which is something I haven't decided whether I agree with or not.

Last edited:

BareBones

wheezy
I kinda wish i hadn't said anything to begin with now, or at least instead of saying what I did just put "two people at work are annoying me".

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
You flatter me, Sick Boy, but I fear Ianugo is far funnier than I could ever hope to be...

I also can't stand Seinfeld, however I love Curb.

bandshell

Grand High Witch
I like Bill Hicks. I like Seinfeld (the show, not the man). Never watched Curb.

I don't like irritating fanboys regardless of whether they like Bill Hicks, Kevin Smith or anything else. They're irritating fanboys whatever they like.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
but you're obv desperately worried about being defined as one of 'those people', and therefore are worried when such criticisms occur. Otherwise it wouldn't do your head in so much.

Uh, no. I'm worried when those criticisms occur because they are shit. I think I've said enough to sufficiently make myself an irritating Bill Hicks fanboy here now. I'm comfortable with that.

Last edited:

luka

i was thinking just the other day about how nice dissensus is. i dont see it as a a bad thing. i like it. there cant be many forums like that. when cunts do turn up everyone turns on them like a pack of savage poodles and gently ravages them.

slowtrain

i was thinking just the other day about how nice dissensus is. i dont see it as a a bad thing. i like it. there cant be many forums like that. when cunts do turn up everyone turns on them like a pack of savage poodles and gently ravages them.

i have to pitch in and say i also love this - too much time on black metal forums has made me very weary...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Uh, no. I'm worried when those criticisms occur because they are shit. I think I've said enough to sufficiently make myself an irritating Bill Hicks fanboy here now. I'm comfortable with that.

ha! fair enough. i was irritated about other stuff yesterday, some of it may have sprayed out at you accidentally. ah, the perils of using forums when annoyed....!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
so, in explanation:

passive-aggressive people annoy me more than anyone (talking about ppl in life now, no judgemnt on any Dissensians implied). they should be shot! everyone is p-a sometimes of course, but for people for whom it is their major mode of communication, death is the answer. and when they're snide too....shooting is too good....

Living with such people is of course, even worse. :eek:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I hate passive-aggression, at least you know where you stand with straight-up aggressive-aggression. Does seem to be more of a female trait, in my experience. A bloke who's pissed off at you for some reason will generally not deny that he's pissed off or make you guess the reason...

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
Worst thing about any of that stuff is the perpetual autopsies the brain does afterwards, going over and over different ways events could have happened. I think that's what it's meant to inflict, making someone else waste their brain time because they're wasting theirs, kinda like brain-time vampirism.

Yup, this is hell of phrasing. Bravo!

you

Worst thing about any of that stuff is the perpetual autopsies the brain does afterwards, going over and over different ways events could have happened. I think that's what it's meant to inflict, making someone else waste their brain time because they're wasting theirs, kinda like brain-time vampirism.

The most intrinsically negative facet of such an occurrence is the resulting infinite and negative regressions impressed upon the victims psychosphere.... the eternal diegesis the victims consciousness enters into, temporality warping, reality diminishing upon the vectors of analysis. This voracious event is a consequence of such an infliction and perhaps the evil intent of the misanthropic genesis. To sap energies, to rob another human of ones faculties, leaving them ( the unfortunate recipient ) sinking amidst a whirlpool of regressions and flagellating diegesis. The perpetrators of such crimes are vampiric predators who stalk their preys intellectual faculties, vicariously, through their ( the preys ) own cerebral tendencies and introspection - know your enemies! Namely chronosuccubi, neurosuccubi and psychosuccubi.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The most intrinsically negative facet of such an occurrence is the resulting infinite and negative regressions impressed upon the victims psychosphere.... the eternal diegesis the victims consciousness enters into, temporality warping, reality diminishing upon the vectors of analysis. This voracious event is a consequence of such an infliction and perhaps the evil intent of the misanthropic genesis. To sap energies, to rob another human of ones faculties, leaving them ( the unfortunate recipient ) sinking amidst a whirlpool of regressions and flagellating diegesis. The perpetrators of such crimes are vampiric predators who stalk their preys intellectual faculties, vicariously, through their ( the preys ) own cerebral tendencies and introspection - know your enemies! Namely chronosuccubi, neurosuccubi and psychosuccubi.

fuckngn hell, this is great - I'm presuming you are quoting from someone! Please let me know who :D

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound

Yeah psychic vampires we call em.

Been thinking about this with reference to the current 'discussion' about rape in the UK, and how, really, rape is for life - you don't 'recover' from trauma, you just learn to incorporate it into your own narrative - and, for me, the sentence for rape should be life.