Do not read this.
chennai bernard, it's pronounced CHEN-I

not CHENI-EEE, it's not a jungle track, chennai, chennai

CHEN-I

again

CHEN-I

alex

Do not read this.
i will get around to this.. in the meantime just think of whatever makes you cringe the most, multiply it to the ultra-my-skin-is-turning-inside-out-cringe level and you will just about get the experience.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
@ Alex: yep, i know people like that too, f'sure....

Another PBIDMHI:

getting (in this case) homophobic abuse for the second week running from the same person on Brixton High St, and no-one passing bothering to even say anything. people are such cowards.

bandshell

Grand High Witch
People are most definitely cowards. My mate told me an unsettling story the last time I saw him.

He's at uni in Edinburgh and was out in clubs one night. One of his mates was in the toilet and two of his other mates walked in and grabbed the guy from behind as a joke. Pinned him to a wall like they were going to rape him.

All the other people in the room quickly filtered out and just left him.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
People are most definitely cowards. My mate told me an unsettling story the last time I saw him.

He's at uni in Edinburgh and was out in clubs one night. One of his mates was in the toilet and two of his other mates walked in and grabbed the guy from behind as a joke. Pinned him to a wall like they were going to rape him.

All the other people in the room quickly filtered out and just left him.

I've seen so much of it this week (cowardice), and it's really fuckign me off. in fact, I'm going to start a thread on it tomorrow, when my blood has stopped boiling... :/

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
getting (in this case) homophobic abuse for the second week running from the same person on Brixton High St, and no-one passing bothering to even say anything. people are such cowards.

Was the guy giving abuse (I'm assuming it was a guy) scary-looking? Not that that excuses no-one saying anything, but you know...actually, did you say anything?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Homophobia can be kind of funny though, as long as there's no one particular person who's the victim of it, just because it shows up people's stupidity and insecurity. One of my housemates told me about a time he was in the petrol station/offy across the road from our house and this big butch-looking black guy asked the bloke at the till for a lighter. The guy picked one up obviously without considering the significance of its colour (you know, those cheapo lighters that come in five or six colours) and had the temerity to hand this gentleman a pink one, eliciting: "ARE YOU CALLING ME A BATTY-MAN?!?!" My mate said the other people in the queue started 'backing him up', but he was either too angry or too thick to realise they were all taking the piss... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Was the guy giving abuse (I'm assuming it was a guy) scary-looking? Not that that excuses no-one saying anything, but you know...actually, did you say anything?

Yep, he was. Last week it was OK, this week, no. I told him he was a boring cunt. No-one else did anything, which is my main problem with the whole affair. People. Are. Cowardly. Zombies. In the main, hoping dissensians are different...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Homophobia can be kind of funny though, as long as there's no one particular person who's the victim of it, just because it shows up people's stupidity and insecurity. One of my housemates told me about a time he was in the petrol station/offy across the road from our house and this big butch-looking black guy asked the bloke at the till for a lighter. The guy picked one up obviously without considering the significance of its colour (you know, those cheapo lighters that come in five or six colours) and had the temerity to hand this gentleman a pink one, eliciting: "ARE YOU CALLING ME A BATTY-MAN?!?!" My mate said the other people in the queue started 'backing him up', but he was either too angry or too thick to realise they were all taking the piss... :rolleyes:

I know what you're saying, but...no. It's OK as a vaguely unfaimliar thing, but on a regular, I'm gonna shank the next person who dares (not really , but)

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
You sort of have to pick your battles though, don't you? It's not like anything is going to be gained by trying to point out the finer points of why a psychotic bastard is a psychotic bastard, so you're basically left with calling him something equally nasty and increasing your probability of getting shanked. Best to let him just continue on in his mental little world.

I agree that a lot of people are cowardly, but you can't really expect total strangers to jump in like Clint Eastwood for you. At most you can just hope Clint Eastwood is walking by at the crucial moment.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
You sort of have to pick your battles though, don't you? It's not like anything is going to be gained by trying to point out the finer points of why a psychotic bastard is a psychotic bastard, so you're basically left with calling him something equally nasty and increasing your probability of getting shanked. Best to let him just continue on in his mental little world.

I agree that a lot of people are cowardly, but you can't really expect total strangers to jump in like Clint Eastwood for you. At most you can just hope Clint Eastwood is walking by at the crucial moment.

Ha! I disagree though. I've stepped in when total strangers have been being abused, because at that time they needed it. Not about being Clint Eastwood, just about telling someone they're being a twat.

Also, the stuff he was saying to me in Brixton (boring homophobia agogo) was much more likely to lead to me being abused by other people. His world is mental, but what he said could've had very real knock-on effects for me. Picking one's batttles in totally true, but that was one I couldn't evade. Won't accept general cowardice any longer - being a total stranger is no excuse.

luka

i think london is the capial of cowardice though. its the paranoia. everyone thinks they are likely to get stabbed by a 12 year old at any minute. i am a coward generally speaking. i would never do extreme sports or anything like that. i will back my mates, and did so this weekend, but i dont go around, as sickboy says distributing vigilante justice everywhere i go.

grizzleb

There's another problem in getting involved in people's barneys if you haven't seen exactly what's happened; I've heard of numerous accounts of people trying to intervene in altercations and ending up getting abuse back from both parties. Fuck trying to help someone and getting an earful of abuse (or worse) for your troubles.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
There's another problem in getting involved in people's barneys if you haven't seen exactly what's happened; I've heard of numerous accounts of people trying to intervene in altercations and ending up getting abuse back from both parties. Fuck trying to help someone and getting an earful of abuse (or worse) for your troubles.

Have you seen Code Unknown by Haneke? All about this, fascinating....

hmmm, it's all very complicated, just felt really shit yesterday about no-one intervening.

@luka, yeah London is definitely world capitla of cowardice. Maybe I should make an award to Boris Johnson or something.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I used to get shitloads of abuse. Not for being gay but the way I looked, had stones and bricks thrown at me once, randomly punched in the face, all that. God the laughs.

Best one though - though there's quite a few - was when me and a mate who was quite camp and submissive and used to get loads of aggro (we were a lethal combination) were walking through a car park and this Range Rover pulled over with three yardies in it and the driver lent out and went 'Yo, are you gay?'.

It was a difficult question. Should I say I was bisexual and tell the truth? Stand true to two decades of gay lib? Or look after my mate who by now was starting to shake.

"No, we we're not" I said.

And the bloke just goes, 'Oh, ok' and drove off.

It was so weird. Were they looking for a gay club? Did they fancy us? Or they wanna kick the shit out of us. Never know. It was such a weird question though. It still bothers me. What answer did they want? Or was the mere fact of asking infliction enough?

Worst thing about any of that stuff is the perpetual autopsies the brain does afterwards, going over and over different ways events could have happened. I think that's what it's meant to inflict, making someone else waste their brain time because they're wasting theirs, kinda like brain-time vampirism.