baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Absolutley, great way of putting it. Difficult not to mull overt hsoe things afterwards.

Brilliant story, made my office crack up :cool:

Lichen

It was so weird. Were they looking for a gay club? Did they fancy us? Or they wanna kick the shit out of us. Never know. It was such a weird question though. It still bothers me. What answer did they want? Or was the mere fact of asking infliction enough?

Perhaps they were betting men.

IdleRich

IdleRich
A slightly similar thing happened to a guy I knew - walking through (a provincial) town at kicking out time he and his friend were approached by two lads who asked them if they wanted a fight. They replied in the negative and the other guys said "fair enough, we'll probably find someone who is up for it further down the road" and just walked off.

slowtrain

I used to get shitloads of abuse. Not for being gay but the way I looked, had stones and bricks thrown at me once, randomly punched in the face, all that. God the laughs.

Best one though - though there's quite a few - was when me and a mate who was quite camp and submissive and used to get loads of aggro (we were a lethal combination) were walking through a car park and this Range Rover pulled over with three yardies in it and the driver lent out and went 'Yo, are you gay?'.

It was a difficult question. Should I say I was bisexual and tell the truth? Stand true to two decades of gay lib? Or look after my mate who by now was starting to shake.

"No, we we're not" I said.

And the bloke just goes, 'Oh, ok' and drove off.

It was so weird. Were they looking for a gay club? Did they fancy us? Or they wanna kick the shit out of us. Never know. It was such a weird question though. It still bothers me. What answer did they want? Or was the mere fact of asking infliction enough?

Worst thing about any of that stuff is the perpetual autopsies the brain does afterwards, going over and over different ways events could have happened. I think that's what it's meant to inflict, making someone else waste their brain time because they're wasting theirs, kinda like brain-time vampirism.

Heh, yeah - the town I grew up in was just like this, big enough to attract people from smaller towns of a night, small enough to still have dickheads distributed fairly evenly...

Used to get towns of obscure shit shouted at me and my friends - funniest was from a fat kid (about 12) yelled 'homo' at us from the back of his parents SUV...

"Get a new pair of pants" was another classic (torn jeans)

BareBones

wheezy
I don't like him but it's not so much him that does my head than the turgid bores that are his fans. They're like their own unique subcategory of smug people.

The number of people I remember at university who had that poster which was essentially just a list of Bill Hicks quotes. And they were the sort of people who would be really snarky about those who had eg a Bob Marley poster, as if they were somehow more enlightened or less of a cliche.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I think Hicks was, or at least often was, great - but yeah, I can certainly see that he's the kind of figure who'd attract irritating fanboys. Like guys I knew in high school who could (and often did) recite the entire script to Pulp Fiction... :mad:

See also: Kevin Smith fans.

luka

i think hicks was the real thing. whether hes funny or not is another matter. maybe hes not hilarious. i cant remember actually if he made me laugh much.
'the scent of these armpits aroma finer than prayer'
whitman.
i didnt go to university so i dont care what students think. that didnt scar me.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah, he was the real thing alright. I think whether or not you consider him hilarious isn't really the point, he was great because he was cynical in such an honest, old-fashioned way. People these days are cynical for all the wrong reasons, their hearts aren't really in it and it makes me sick. What does cynical stand-up mean today anyway - Ricky Gervais? Frankie Boyle? Ugh.

Last edited:

luka

thats right. seinfeld. mean spirited. small minded. spiteful. hicks was none of thos things. its genuinely cathartic i think. not all the time but whn hes got he has that real power, that fire....its a pure energy that is very rare and sacred.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I'd agree with the fact that he was a very good orator, and his heart was in the right place. I'm sure I'd have liked the guy on a personal level if I'd met him. I just get irritated when people describe him as hilarious - he's not.

Agree that Seinfeld, Larry David, Gervais etc are shit. Self-absorbed, 'ironic' shit.

Best comedy of the last ten years = Arrested Development.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Dissensus Pro-Tip:

- Criticize things based purely on blanket generalizations about the people who enjoy them as if that has anything to do with the value of the work itself, and not your desperate self-conscious attempts to distance yourself from whatever it is you think being one of "those people" entails

This, btw, does my head in.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
It is also no coincidence that the only two genuinely funny people on this board are the two people who are defending him.

BareBones

wheezy
oi! if you read what i said, i wasn't trying to criticize bill hicks! just as tea said, his irritating fanboys. i know that's a blanket generalisation, i'm sorry. there's just a couple of them at my work and i find them very irritating.

but yes i am quite desperately self-conscious and i'm sure i myself am hugely irritating to bill hicks fanboys.