crackerjack

The worst thing about living in Bow is how sodding noisy it can be at night, especially in summer when it's nice to sleep with the window open. *grumble grumble*

Even worse when some poor sod gets murdered and they bring the helicopter out and hover directly over your flat for ages on end (as happened to me a few weeks back http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-st...o-death-in-east-london-attack-89520-20634903/ and people down Cable St last night http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7527468.stm ).

Seriously, given that there has to be a lag of, I guess, at least 15 minutes for the murder to be reported and the copter to go up, what's it supposed to achieve? I'd happily lose a night's sleep if it was the difference between catching a murderer or not, but there's not much chance of identifying bloodstains from a few hundred feet.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Even worse when some poor sod gets murdered and they bring the helicopter out and hover directly over your flat for ages on end (as happened to me a few weeks back http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-st...o-death-in-east-london-attack-89520-20634903/ and people down Cable St last night http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7527468.stm ). Seriously, given that there has to be a lag of, I guess, at least 15 minutes for the murder to be reported and the copter to go up, what's it supposed to achieve?

It's probably for the sake of 'being seen to be doing something', as much as anything else/

I'd happily lose a night's sleep if it was the difference between catching a murderer or not, but there's not much chance of identifying bloodstains from a few hundred feet.

Yeah, especially at night. Unless the blood's stil warm and they can spot it with some kind of Predator-style infra-red thingumy. Possibly.

Last edited:

crackerjack

It's probably for the sake of 'being seen to be doing something', as much as anything else/

Yeah, especially at night. Unless the blood's stil warm and they can spot it with some kind of Predator-style infra-red thingumy. Possibly.

Or they've now got so many CCTV cams, they've actually tracked Mr Murder all the wya back to his lair and are just hovering over his doorway, waving the David Bowie CDs at him.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Apparently most CCTV cameras aren't even switched on (or are relaying images to a screen that no-one's watching, and not being recorded on tape), and a lot of them aren't even real, they're just empty boxes. I could kind of understand if crime rates were being slashed by the use of cameras, but I gather they're not actually making much impact for precisely this reason.

On balance, I think I'd rather live in a country where the government watches us all the time than one where the government merely wants us to *think* we're being watched all the time. Although obviously a country that's not run by surveillance-obsessed authoritarians would be better still.

Edit: what's ol' blue-n-brown-eyes got to do with CCTV cameras?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Not CCTV, man under siege, helicopters overhead, reminded me of Gen. Noriega being blasted out of his house with Let's dance.

Ah, right, I didn't know they'd used Bowie for that. I think they mainly use Metallica and whatnot for that kind of thing these days - typical rockist attitude. ;)

Pestario

tell your friends
It's hotter in the office than it is outside. The Council spent the money to install these huge air con units on our floor but failed to realise that we don't have an adequate power supply to run them. Of course, there was no money to fix this so now the machines just sit there, mocking us silently as we boil.

ether

mega upload goldfish memory.

every time i try and download a mix from mega upload it asks me to wait 45 seconds, I always start doing something else and by which point my goldfish memory has forgotten about it...doh i've just done it again.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
Fucking Banksy. :mad:

Ooh look, a policeman taking drugs! Genius! Which is, like, *such* a headfuck, because it's actually the policeman's job to ARREST people who take drugs! OMFG, that's the cleverest, most dangerously subversive thing I've seen in all my born days! Legend!

In real life he'd be a joke in a cheap Xmas cracker. :)

Last edited:

crackerjack

In real life he'd be a joke in a cheap Xmas cracker. :)

That's it with Banksy, isn't it. I don't mind his stuff, but it's a t-shirt for a teenager or a bit of (oh, right) graffiti that distracts you for a second or two on the bus. It's the knobhead film stars paying zillions for his genius that are the real butts of the joke.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
That's it with Banksy, isn't it. I don't mind his stuff, but it's a t-shirt for a teenager or a bit of (oh, right) graffiti that distracts you for a second or two on the bus. It's the knobhead film stars paying zillions for his genius that are the real butts of the joke.

I'd like to think this, but I suspect he genuinely believes in his own myth as the 'guerilla prankster'. Which is a shame, as he's obviously a pretty decent graphic artist and he does some nice visual puns sometimes.

That doesn't make the knobhead zillionaire filmstars any less knobbish, of course. :)

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"keep your milk in a soy milk carton. Should stop most of them."
Or just spit it in - won't stop 'em using it but should give you some satisfaction every time you observe that the level has fallen below your latest pen mark.

Client Eastwood

The fuk who stole stole my rhubard pie from the fridge, yeah and the milk thiefs from work at least leave enough for a brew, leaving the empty bottle in the fridge is just rubbing salt into the wound.