Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I like it in really old films when someone picks up the little separate earpiece and says into the receiver something like "Folkstone 2 please, operator" - on account of there maybe being a handful of people rich and important enough in Folkstone to own a telephone.

crackerjack

it is quite an old fashioned thing to say your phone number when you answer. Bonus points for not even saying the area code.

My landlady in south Manchester used to do that - just the last 4 digits. I think she was in mourning for when Didsbury really was a village, rather than a place in Manchester called Didsbury village

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Something that is fun to do is when someone rings you subtly acting like you phoned them. If you do it the right way, they won't call you out on it but they will get very uncomfortable. E.g.:

ringring
pick up phone: "Hello?"
"Hey man it's Steve, what's up?"
"Oh not much, just seeing what you're up to."

Etc.

whatever

Something that is fun to do is when someone rings you subtly acting like you phoned them. If you do it the right way, they won't call you out on it but they will get very uncomfortable. E.g.:

ringring
pick up phone: "Hello?"
"Hey man it's Steve, what's up?"
"Oh not much, just seeing what you're up to."

Etc.
this is brilliant, gonna try it

swears

preppy-kei
The voicemail message on my mobile used to be me pretending I'd answered the phone, like:

Hello?
*pause for other person to talk*
Hiya mate, you alright?
*pause*
Hmmm... yeah nice one.
*pause*
What?
*pause*
Ok, ok...
*pause*
Excuse me?
Hmmmm....
*pause*
Dunno

Going on for quite a while. People would actually have some quite long conversations with this recording before they realised what was up when I didn't answer any of their questions.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
The voicemail message on my mobile used to be me pretending I'd answered the phone, like:

Hello?
*pause for other person to talk*
Hiya mate, you alright?
*pause*
Hmmm... yeah nice one.
*pause*
What?
*pause*
Ok, ok...
*pause*
Excuse me?
Hmmmm....
*pause*
Dunno

Going on for quite a while. People would actually have some quite long conversations with this recording before they realised what was up when I didn't answer any of their questions.

My friend has one like this except it's completely unintentional and gets me every time. It answers all cheery, like "Hi!" and then a long enough pause for you to start talking and then "You've reached blahblahblah I'm not able to..." GOD DAMN IT!

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
^ i got a tweed driver's cap from a girl i had a crush on (my best friend's older sister) on the condition that i leave a message on her answering machine every day. after she was killed, i kept leaving messages on her machine. it must have driven her parents wild with grief each day when they heard her answering machine going off in the next room.
:eek:

zhao

there are no accidents
^^^ holy shit what! (do you know how to write screen plays??????)

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
People at bus stops who bellow "FUKKAWF!!!" in your face when you start to ask them about a bus. Jesus, just what the fuck is wrong with some people? :(

zhao

there are no accidents
People at bus stops who bellow "FUKKAWF!!!" in your face when you start to ask them about a bus. Jesus, just what the fuck is wrong with some people? :(

probably safe to say that there's a lot of discontent and vex in the general population of any culture in 2009, but it's really interesting how they express it -- you would NEVER EVER encounter this sort of thing in Berlin, where all the animosity seems to be entirely repressed and hidden from view. (which might be more scary)

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Dave - as in the repeats-only TV channel. Quite a few good shows on it, but such a lazy idea isn't it? Surely/hopefully they can't be making a great deal of money out of it. :slanted:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
People who say things like "Yeah, but", or "Maybe, but" or "Well, it is and it isn't" when what they actually mean to say is "I think you're completely wrong."

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Not getting given a job after a week's worth of being told it was a formality and they just needed to process a few things. Bastards.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Cheers John, though tbh was feeling better as soon as I posted that. The offer seemed to good to be true at the time anyway so nothing to be gained by getting bitter and twisted about it. Heading straight back out on the hunt today, seen a few adverts about. Mostly for relatively basic work but anything is better than nothing right now.

john eden

male pale and stale
somone stole my bike, which was chained up behind my flat.

I went to the doctors to ask for a referall to a physiotherapist for my RSI and the temporary doctor palmed me off with a blood test instead, for reasons which elude me.

The test involved fasting for 12 hours beforehand. And I don't get the results for two weeks.

And my arm hurts.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

But on the upside I just got a tax rebate. :)

It's been one of those weeks, heh heh.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Karma is clearly punishing you for resigning from modding. :p ;)
Seriously though, sounds like a rough week, hope you get through the various health things ok.