Iraq: U.S. Troop and Mercenary Escalations

vimothy

yurp
Background on the "surge"

The MNF strategy in Iraq is COIN, facilitated by the "surge". So, IMHO, the real question is: Is the new MNF strategy in Iraq working?

This is a good article for putting the surge into perspective alongside COIN:

Counter-InSURGEncy, a primer on our impending victory

The Army's COIN Field Manual:

FM 3 - 24

It's worth reading all of (COIN advisor to Petraeus) Dave Kilcullen's stuff on strategy. In particular:

Understanding Current Operations In Iraq

Countering Global Insurgency

Articles on the people behind the new strategy:

Knowing the Enemy (COIN as social science - amazing article)

Brainiac Brigade

Frederick Kagan:

Choosing Victory: A Plan for Success in Iraq

Understanding General Petraeus's Strategy

Iraq: Is the Escalation Working?

Al Qaeda in Iraq

Kimberly Kagan:

Iraq Report

William McCallister:

Anatomy of a Tribal Rebellion

COIN and Irregular Warfare in Tribal Society Pamphlet

Anthropology controversy:

Human Terrain System & Human Terrain Team

AAA statement

Lots more stuff to follow ...

Guybrush

Dittohead
Thanks for the links Vimothy! I have probably read about half of them now. Dave Kilcullen seems an able and intelligent man. Very impressive.

vimothy

yurp
Thanks for the links Vimothy! I have probably read about half of them now. Dave Kilcullen seems an able and intelligent man. Very impressive.

Yes, Kilcullen's really interesting. Part two -- assessments of the surge -- to follow when I get a spare minute at work!

vimothy

yurp
Is the "surge" working?

Just a couple of articles for now, from today's Financial Times.

Troop surge and Iraq factors curb bloodshed

US reports ‘phenomenal’ drop in Iraq violence

Violence in Iraq has fallen at a rate that has surprised military commanders and even one of the architects of the “surge” that boosted US troop numbers in the country this year, according to figures gathered by the US.

The figures show the numbers of suicide attacks, roadside bombings, mortar and other attacks on US forces and on the Iraqi population have more than halved since 30,000 extra troops in June.

The military attributes the decline to the surge, the spread of local ceasefire deals across Iraq, a ceasefire by radical Shia militias and an improvement in the Iraqi security forces.

Jack Keane, the former army general who helped persuade George W. Bush, US president, to increase troop numbers in Iraq, said the decrease in violence was “phenomenal” and had occurred far faster than he had expected.

“When you understand you are dealing with the complexity of a counter-insurgency operation which can take years to resolve, to have this dramatic a success in a short period of time, it’s unprecedented,” he said.

The US military says the number of civilian deaths has also fallen 60 per cent since the surge took effect, with a drop of 75 per cent in Baghdad. According to icasualties.org, the average monthly US death toll dropped from 96 for the first half of 2007 to 66 in the past four months. The average monthly death toll for Iraqi civilians and security forces has dropped from 2,157 to 1,223 in the same period....​

EDIT: A few more things,

How They Did It -- Executing the winning strategy in Iraq - Kimberly Kagan, Evening Standard

Baghdad’s Weary Start to Exhale as Security Improves - Damien Cave, NYT

Iraq Coalition Casualties

None dare call it 'victory' - Cal Thomas, Washington Times

On Iraq, a State of Denial - Charles Krauthammer, WaPo

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"The US military says the number of civilian deaths has also fallen 60 per cent since the surge took effect, with a drop of 75 per cent in Baghdad. According to icasualties.org, the average monthly US death toll dropped from 96 for the first half of 2007 to 66 in the past four months. The average monthly death toll for Iraqi civilians and security forces has dropped from 2,157 to 1,223 in the same period...."
So I guess that's lower than before the invasion then?

vimothy

yurp
So I guess that's lower than before the invasion then?

That's back to the level of January 2006. I'm not aware of any serious statistical analysis of the numbers that died under Saddam or anything like a daily death toll of Saddmite Iraq. (Though I guess you could add up estimates of the Iran-Iraq war, the invasion of Kuwait, plus the number of Iraqis killed by Saddam directly. So maybe 2 million over twenty years = 8333.3 per month, and half that if you exclude the two wars).

vimothy

yurp
I have found a "Black Book of Saddam Hussein", by Chris Kutschera. Review here. Kutschera puts the number at 2 million, making Saddam perhaps the greatest butcher of Muslims since Stalin. In office for 24 years, that makes 6,944 per month, half if you exclude the wars (i.e. nearly 3,500 civilian deaths a month under Saddam).

zhao

there are no accidents
so after how many years of bodies piled to the ceiling, the first sign of a drop in death rate and "YOU SEE IT'S WORKING! THE SURGE, THE WAR, IT'S FOR THE GOOD OF THE IRAQI PEOPLE!"

there may be 3,496 other reasons for the death toll falling other than the "surge". and no one knows it will prove to be a temporary thing.

even if the situation calms down and a relative peace persists, it will in no way justify any action on the part of the americans.

vimothy

yurp
so after how many years of bodies piled to the ceiling, the first sign of a drop in death rate and "YOU SEE IT'S WORKING! THE SURGE, THE WAR, IT'S FOR THE GOOD OF THE IRAQI PEOPLE!"

:rolleyes:

there may be 3,496 other reasons for the death toll falling other than the "surge". and no one knows it will prove to be a temporary thing.

It's not the surge in any case -- its the spread of the "Anbar awakening", the al-Sadr ceasefire, the improvements in Iraqi security forces, and the new COIN strategy.

even if the situation calms down and a relative peace persists, it will in no way justify any action on the part of the americans.

Regardless of that, surely you can still agree that the fall in violence is a good thing, which should be encouraged and supported. And if it persists, and Iraq develops into a stable, prosperous country with a representative government -- even better.

dHarry

heh, I knew it meant laughing a lot, but thought it stood for (laughing) Right Out F*cking Loud, or something :confused:

Mr BoShambles

jambiguous
Roll On the Floor Laughing.

Roffle means the same thing.

LOL ≈ Kind of funny
ROFL ≈ Actually funny

Right gotcha thanks.

A "representative" government? roffle.

Thus the question that has to be asked: Why is the notion of a representative government in Iraq funny? Aside from the fact that - according to public choice theory - there can be no such thing as 'the common public good' since in any one state there are always a[ny] number of competing interest groups vying for influence/power meaning that so-called public servants are just as likely to engage in self serving activity as not.

The most representative states are the ones with well established institutional frameworks and comprehensive systems of checks and balances, which ensure that the interests of different groups are mediated. This kind of compromise can never be perfect IMHO - there will always be some who feel more hard done by (i.e. have compromised more) than others - but it is surely the only way to achieve peace and stability.

[Unless of course anyone is advocating systematic and bloody partioning/seperation in states around the world along the lines of ethnic origin / religous beliefs / political persuasions etc]

I don't think that a representative government for Iraq is to be scoffed at. A mediated peace between the different factions leading to stability is surely the most desirable outcome. Better than the current situation and certainly better than the tyrannical rule of Saddam.

The question is how is this best achieved?

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Thus the question that has to be asked: Why is the notion of a representative government in Iraq funny? Aside from the fact that - according to public choice theory - there can be no such thing as 'the common public good' since in any one state there are always a[ny] number of competing interest groups vying for influence/power meaning that so-called public servants are just as likely to engage in self serving activity as not.

The most representative states are the ones with well established institutional frameworks and comprehensive systems of checks and balances, which ensure that the interests of different groups are mediated. This kind of compromise can never be perfect IMHO - there will always be some who feel more hard done by (i.e. have compromised more) than others - but it is surely the only way to achieve peace and stability.

[Unless of course anyone is advocating systematic and bloody partioning/seperation in states around the world along the lines of ethnic origin / religous beliefs / political persuasions etc]

I don't think that a representative government for Iraq is to be scoffed at. A mediated peace between the different factions leading to stability is surely the most desirable outcome. Better than the current situation and certainly better than the tyrannical rule of Saddam.

The question is how is this best achieved?

I think Nomad was laughing at the notion that the government in Iraq is anything but a U.S. puppet -- in other words, not representative of the Iraqi people.

If we want to talk about the inherent flaws in "representative" political systems... maybe another thread is needed.

N

nomadologist

I think Nomad was laughing at the notion that the government in Iraq is anything but a U.S. puppet -- in other words, not representative of the Iraqi people.

If we want to talk about the inherent flaws in "representative" political systems... maybe another thread is needed.

Yes, this is what I meant.