skull disco - soundboy spanking

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Re: 2D--- Its one of the tightest bits of programming I've heard, and a totally nu look for dubstep, opening it up rather than locking it into duff-step monotony (ie glitch electro-step).

It could be Plaid though. I frequently miss the raw minimal drums + bass + effects of earlier dubstep.

zhao

there are no accidents
pole thing sounds very promising! is it possible to retain a massive sound and also keep the micro intricacy? i would think so.

plaid: cheap and annoying synthesizers and headache inducing messy drum programming. their lucid moments of endearing melody never lasts long before the songs succumb to juvenile hyperactivity. the bjork song is the only thing i didn't trash 4 years ago.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Bejeezus yr not looking very hard are you? 90%of dubstep still pretty much sounds exactly like this, doesn't it???

Nope. Big ravey tunes with bleeps and synth melodies. Skream, Benga, Kromestar etc... that's where it's at now, in terms of raves anyway.

Back in the day - all clipped drums and bass, and nuffink else. It was all a lot more restrained back then. Compare Benga's recent big apple EP with Skank/Dose.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Yeah I think that was more or less a deliberate attempt back then to strip things back. It's amazingly effective when you've just got a naughty drums and bass groove going on and these abstract sounds and effects that sometimes you don't even notice until they've snuck up on you.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I think you're over egging it a bit. A smattering of synth does not "big ravey tunes" make, especially when the drums are torpid, unfunky and avowedly sonically maximalist. Kromestar is probably even more overrated than Skream IMHO tho, he's pretty boring I find it difficult to imagine anyone being taken by surprise by one of his amiably chugging choons.

mms

sometimes
i miss syncopation and atmosphere, not just fucking two note ghosty horror noises. or silly rasta samples.

i want dubstep to come around a kind of opposite devil mix, syncopated atmospherics and samples/melodies which instead of having that half step and bass where the syncopation is filled in by the dancer, i want no drums and no bass, pure build up .
i also want dubsteppers to get into dj tools, mixing drums over drums over atmosphere and basslines to create new tracks, n types mixing hints at that but tracks need to be built to accommadate it..

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Some dynamics might be nice, yeah. I was thinking the other day that even in a drop-oriented format, the dynamics of treble vs bass are not properly utilised- imagine a horrifying rush into insectoid frequencies of ear shredding treble tone, then dropping immediately into an abyss of sub...

Ambient dubstep would probably work too (ie entirely drum free) providing you have enough bass-pulse rhythm to create a danceable music- (ie- imagine a club based music without drums... almost as if it takes "Sine of the Dub" as the starting point....)

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
Ambient dubstep would probably work too (ie entirely drum free) providing you have enough bass-pulse rhythm to create a danceable music- (ie- imagine a club based music without drums... almost as if it takes "Sine of the Dub" as the starting point....)

thats what i'm talking about, there is an incredible carl craig mix of a dave angel track that has no drums but is so shimmery with rhythm and melody and promises to break free so often its intense and people fill in with their own rhythms.
i think dance music might need to do this a bit overall, its got to strapped to the idea of constant mechanised rhythm.
for a genre that has rhytm as it s central element, its not half forgotten that fact.

Last edited:

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
i love shackleton, but i think kode 9 pips him to the post. for me anyway. was it that deeptime post that was talking about kode 9 being ultra dense? I love that, the claustrophobic feeling his tunes have, without being all "ohhh i'm so fucking dark mate." His new stuff is just out of this world, and i love it, his songs are like paintings in that you can trace his development thorugh each of them. I was just sitting here, listening to his sonar mix, and i suddenly realised that 9 samurai is my favourite song in the world, ever. I always said it was too hard to choose before, but now i know.

Dusty

Tone deaf
yeah its a bad route to go down, I was hoping dubstep would learn from the mistakes of 'dungeons & dragons' DnB.

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
yeh i get completely bored of it. Don't want to sound like i'm arselicking but my first proper exposure to dubstep was through your keysound radio mix Blackdown, and that is the stuff I love, the melancholy sort of vibe. A very very deep mix indeed.

dHarry

i want dubstep to come around a kind of opposite devil mix, syncopated atmospherics and samples/melodies which instead of having that half step and bass where the syncopation is filled in by the dancer, i want no drums and no bass, pure build up

gek-opel said:

This is fascinating; as well as the Wiley devil mix thing, it reminds me of Weatherall saying that back in the early 90's (I think) he'd play Strings Of Life - but only the intro/build-up, as people knew it so well and would go nuts waiting for the track proper to kick in, but it never did. May's Sueno Latino mix does this sort of thing to some extent too, but with a febrile humid rain-forest density rather than ambience/chill-space. Ditto the sun-bleached phased swirl of Scratch Perry-produced River Stone by Zap Pow.

Strangely the trad roots reggae/dub "reversed" rhythm - with an empty 1-beat, and the kick falling on the 3 (snare) beat - is rarely (ever?) used in dubstep, but I imagine it could really ratchet up the tension/intensity at half-step speed with a good b-line.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
This is fascinating; as well as the Wiley devil mix thing, it reminds me of Weatherall saying that back in the early 90's (I think) he'd play Strings Of Life - but only the intro/build-up, as people knew it so well and would go nuts waiting for the track proper to kick in, but it never did. May's Sueno Latino mix does this sort of thing to some extent too, but with a febrile humid rain-forest density rather than ambience/chill-space. Ditto the sun-bleached phased swirl of Scratch Perry-produced River Stone by Zap Pow.

I also remember discussion of MAW tunes that built to one amazing sample that was only used once. You spent the whole tune craving the sample, it passed you by quickly, leaving you craving it again. I dont know which tune the discussion referred to though.

Strangely the trad roots reggae/dub "reversed" rhythm - with an empty 1-beat, and the kick falling on the 3 (snare) beat - is rarely (ever?) used in dubstep, but I imagine it could really ratchet up the tension/intensity at half-step speed with a good b-line.

given the cyclical nature of bars, how would a snare on the first and the snare on the third sound different to the reverse? i had Benny Ill explain a similar thing about the soca beat (it's snare kick kick, not kick kick snare) but, due to cycles, they appear indistinguishable in a tune.