skull disco - soundboy spanking

UFO over easy

online mahjong
i also want dubsteppers to get into dj tools, mixing drums over drums over atmosphere and basslines to create new tracks, n types mixing hints at that but tracks need to be built to accommadate it..

How you can talk like that without mentioning Youngsta but mentioning N-Type is totally beyond me. That sort of mixing is completely not the point of an N-Type set, and pretty much all Youngsta ever does!

PS: http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=5079&

gek opal said:
I think you're over egging it a bit. A smattering of synth does not "big ravey tunes" make, especially when the drums are torpid, unfunky and avowedly sonically maximalist. Kromestar is probably even more overrated than Skream IMHO tho, he's pretty boring I find it difficult to imagine anyone being taken by surprise by one of his amiably chugging choons.

Once again, they are big ravey tunes whether you like them or not. They are tunes that are capable of tearing a 1000 person plus rave to bits.

Dubstep is in a position now where the major producers can fill absolutely enormous rooms - when most people go out to raves like that I don't think they necessarily want to be taken by surprise.

Go out and watch people smiling and going nuts to Kromestar tunes - you won't be surprised and neither will they, but I guarentee they'll be having more fun than you.

Last edited:

viktorvaughn

How you can talk like that without mentioning Youngsta but mentioning N-Type is totally beyond me. That sort of mixing is completely not the point of an N-Type set, and pretty much all Youngsta ever does!

Once again, they are big ravey tunes whether you like them or not. They are tunes that are capable of tearing a 1000 person plus rave to bits.

Dubstep is in a position now where the major producers can fill absolutely enormous rooms - when most people go out to raves like that I don't think they necessarily want to be taken by surprise.

Go out and watch people smiling and going nuts to Kromestar tunes - you won't be surprised and neither will they, but I guarentee they'll be having more fun than you.

Yunx is such a good DJ. At last FWD the music got a bit relentless (tho lifted by Doctor and Badness on mic) but he was dropping tunes straight into each other (with no actual mix) in perfect time. And he did wicked crunked up and request line teases too. i don't really understand some of the more complex shit but it sounded great!

dHarry

given the cyclical nature of bars, how would a snare on the first and the snare on the third sound different to the reverse? i had Benny Ill explain a similar thing about the soca beat (it's snare kick kick, not kick kick snare) but, due to cycles, they appear indistinguishable in a tune.
Maybe I didn't explain it very well - instead of a typical

1---2---3---4
k------ sn

reggae often uses:

1---2---3---4
---------k

with side-sticks on off-beats - that kick on the expected snare (3) beat is very dub-skanking-friendly and would probably sound great slow and intense in a dubstep track

not sure why [snare kick kick] would sound the same as [kick kick snare] - they count the same time I suppose, but wouldn't the different sounds feel different?

Last edited:

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Also snare-kick-kick surely wouldn't necessarily sound the same as kick-kick-snare if the bar structure of the rest of the music (ie where the phrases loop or chord patterns shift) implied the beginning of the bar on the snare.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
yeh i get completely bored of it. Don't want to sound like i'm arselicking but my first proper exposure to dubstep was through your keysound radio mix Blackdown, and that is the stuff I love, the melancholy sort of vibe. A very very deep mix indeed.

Meet Mr Me Too on that one, absolutely classic mix...

mms

sometimes

i kinda want something else, something thats more like a live performance with decks n efx rather than just djing i guess. with lock grooves and all that shit.
I like n types style as its unapologetically ruff, none of youngsta's famous timing, more risky more like ghettotech djing or something, he seems to know when a track is just riddim and know when to switch it up, he treats tracks with the respect they deserve, which is a good solution to the amount of wack trax coming out.

def check that mix.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
i kinda want something else, something thats more like a live performance with decks n efx rather than just djing i guess. with lock grooves and all that shit.

Vex'd have been experimenting with that a bit, with Jamie doing the DJing and Roly doing live effects, samples and stuff like that. Last I heard they were still changing things up and trying to get it to work exactly how they want it, but they're trying, and the couple of times I've seen them do it it's been excellent :)

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Has anyone got a copy of the DubSta Shackleton mix that they could upload? I've looked on the SkullDisco site but can't seem to find it any more. Am just starting to get into Shackleton - loving the skeleton polyrhythmic percussion.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
if i were to make dubstep i think i'd probably use timbaland's big pimpin' instrumental as a starting point. that would answer many of these rhythmic problems. i'd also have lots of girls singing on my tunes and not in a creepy, breathily atmospheric kind of way, but a genuine reforging of the links with garage and disco - total screaming diva mayhem. this is one of the most important things missing from the genre as a whole for me. also if i were to remix any one-drop reggae hit, i'd try to maintain the positive and upful nature of the song in question, not drag it into some skunked out paranoid hell. as much as i like some of it, a lot of dubstep is so horribly dour and crusty. real songs and some idea of contrasting vocal and rhythmic textures could do a lot to counteract the spotty adolescent boys-club doominess of it all, as far as i'm concerned.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
if i were to make dubstep i think i'd ... have lots of girls singing on my tunes and not in a creepy, breathily atmospheric kind of way, but a genuine reforging of the links with garage and disco - total screaming diva mayhem.

Hold tight for the two Yolanda tracks on the Pinch album then. Your time...