skull disco - soundboy spanking

dHarry

kode 9 or someone needs to coax PP away from her folk-soul duets with Dr Robert and back to that Ike & Tina/Altern8/KLF madness!

pp%20mojo01.jpg

adruu

This Is It
dubstep needs more disco...it's true. especially the slow-mo cosmic stuff. going to try and bang out some primitive stuff soon hopefully.

nomos

Administrator
just heard that shackleton's doing a preview of some of his album tracks this week on mary anne hobbes. i've heard this stuff and it's fantastic. should be a few of of his 120 bpm bits and some featuring the MC he's been working with. adruu - watch for a house tempo one called 'death is not final.' big ;)

AND there's supposed to be some terror danjah material that night as well. so it's wall-to-wall riddimic mayhem.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/maryannehobbs/

zhao

there are no accidents
dubstep needs more disco...it's true. especially the slow-mo cosmic stuff.

i've said before that the future is african dubstep :) imagine the sweet haunting melodies and thick thunderous bass of afro-house coupled with half-time beats... :rolleyes: i think after that all music will stop.

mms

sometimes
i've said before that the future is african dubstep :) imagine the sweet haunting melodies and thick thunderous bass of afro-house coupled with half-time beats... :rolleyes: i think after that all music will stop.

you need to listen to shackletons new shit then.

and what he's got coming...
not quite but more.

ether

That's precisely what I was getting at- engineering stuff- how bright and rich the sounds are as much as how they are arranged etc. "2D" stands up in those terms (of sound design basically) with the cream of the minimal crop etc... Skream is a bit of a sacred cow and the man's released a tonne of dreck- I think of him as the Michael Caine of dubstep- a lot of shite but the peaks excuse the rest, and somewhat of a lovable figure...

in my experience of being involved with music production, 'engineered' literally refferes to how the sonics are treated, balanced and dynamically processed it has more to do with timbre and little to do with arrangement, 2d is probably one of the worst engineered tracks i've heard by skream, but one of the better produced and arranged. I dont like everything he does but he does build a ridiculous amount of tracks.

I tend to find alot of Shackleton tunes too busy, much prefer the appleblims of the stuff on skull disco to date, the rhythm patterns in Shackleton's tune make me feel a bit seasick, its a case of why throw one drum sample in here when i can have four, I read he listens to alot Turkish music so obviously he's inspired by that, I think i prefer tracks where the intonation changes more subtly and I'm able to digest the beats on Shackleton's rhythm excursions instead of feeling 'disorientated' to further the travel metaphor.

apart form that there a bastard to mix.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
in my experience of being involved with music production, 'engineered' literally refferes to how the sonics are treated, balanced and dynamically processed it has more to do with timbre and little to do with arrangement, 2d is probably one of the worst engineered tracks i've heard by skream, but one of the better produced and arranged.

Yes that was precisely the meaning I meant- that of eq and mix levels... rather than arrangement. 2D just sounded brighter, crisper and more sonically "full" than a lot of his other productions...

ether

strike what i just said from the record, just listened to the dubsta mix definitely made me rethink my opinions on Shackleton, I own few skull disco releases and have alway preferred the gatekeeper and blim stuff until now.

whats the deal with skull disco anyway, I can remember reading last year that Shackleton was both stopping making dubstep and skull disco was no more?

catalog

What happened to Shackleton? He went to Berlin and fizzled out? I always really liked that 'when i see the towers fall' one, but even me, at the time I was listening, I was like, hmmmm, this is quite provocative, or could be taken as such. Such a good tune tho, those stripped down drums. I saw him in Leeds years ago but it wasn't ghat memorable, loads of short edits and jams, nothing that really went anywhere.

version

What happened to Shackleton? He went to Berlin and fizzled out? I always really liked that 'when i see the towers fall' one, but even me, at the time I was listening, I was like, hmmmm, this is quite provocative, or could be taken as such. Such a good tune tho, those stripped down drums. I saw him in Leeds years ago but it wasn't ghat memorable, loads of short edits and jams, nothing that really went anywhere.
He's released tons of music since moving to Berlin. He runs another label called Woe to the Septic Heart.

boxedjoy

a lot of his music in recent years has barely qualified as techno/dubstep but has been really exciting and engaging. Nothing as obviously significant as Blood On My Hands but he's clearly not afraid to dive deep into his own niche world