kode 9 sonar mix

Blackdown

nexKeysound
We can't be listening to the same mix. When he isn't doing some kind of fade he is beat matching for about 8 bars and cutting at awkward moments making for really clunky transitions. If he isn't doing that he's drenching the track he's mixing out of in effects and carrying it on for way too long

Great producer.

Poor DJ.

people who complain about lack of ultra perfect beat mixing have lost the wood for the trees. "Let's all make mistakes..."

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
people who complain about lack of ultra perfect beat mixing have lost the wood for the trees. "Let's all make mistakes..."

Yeah yeah yeah punk rock and all that. I'm not hating on this mix at all - I've been playing it nonstop for about 12 hours - but one can imagine what a mix with his selection and some better mixing skills would sound like.

Shoot me.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
To my mind he's far and away the best DJ in dubstep- in that when he plays you hear a broad variety of stuff, a balance between the head and rump, instrumental and vocal, low end and high end, the dub and the technoid. His mixing skills are basically irrelevant, he's not really about flow per se... he manages to display the variety there really is in dubstep, (rather than the emaciated breadth displayed in too too many sets) and for that alone (despite his uneasiness with the genre-signifier) he is its greatest proponent.

nomos

Administrator
i thought it was just fine.

i recently heard a pair of dnb-turned-dubstep dudes mocking someone else's beatmatching skills then go on to perform a precision-matched set that was boring as all fuck. i'll take vision in selection over anal retentive technicity any day.

viktorvaughn

i recently heard a pair of dnb-turned-dubstep dudes mocking someone else's beatmatching skills then go on to perform a precision-matched set that was boring as all fuck. i'll take vision in selection over anal retentive technicity any day.

Fo Sho.

It has some guts and heart to it, it's the type of mix i can imagine myself making which is kinda reassuring and inspiring! I love watching Kode9 DJ, wish he would put some more Grime in there though.

I get depressed when i stand up near Youngsta and watch him DJ cos he's so precise.

spotrusha

i don't see the big deal about his mixing on this, there's a couple shakey points and you can hear him correct himself every once in awhile and i like his use of the effects, it suits the style. however, i'm not one of those people who think that a good mix is 99% selection, 1% mixing skill. i think that all big name dj's (or producers who decide to dj) should be at a professional level of mixing, then we can judge by selection. with that said, this is a great mix.

bassnation

the abyss

yeah, exactly, totally misses the point. precision beat matching has to be the most overrated thing in dance music. unless someones seriously clattering the beats, horses hoof style i don't really notice. what i do notice is the mood of the mix, the feel, the mix as a whole.

just like to second what everyone else has said - kode9 is so far ahead of the game its untrue. absolutely loving the basic channel style refix - 2562. anyone know anymore about this?

plus this mix has made me revisit some tracks i've heard previously but for one reason or another dismissed - bengas electro beats being a case in point. and this is the whole raison de etre for a dj like kode9 - recontextualising tunes and opening peoples ears and minds. couldn't ask for more. probably my mix of the year so far, no question about it.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
plus this mix has made me revisit some tracks i've heard previously but for one reason or another dismissed - bengas electro beats being a case in point. and this is the whole raison de etre for a dj like kode9 - recontextualising tunes and opening peoples ears and minds. couldn't ask for more. probably my mix of the year so far, no question about it.

defo. it's ace because you get a sense that mr nine is forcing the tunes to go together because they should, not because they do.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Anyone get the mag?

Isn't it time someone did a nice high quality rip of this????????

Please, you should have recovered enough by now.

:D

ChestHair

yeah, thing is though, fuck dnb and everyone involved
anyone who listened to dnb at some point is a wanker, through and through
so these dubstep guys who used to listen to dnb must be morons

how should it be done though? i am curious...
just vision in selection?

haaaaaaardlyyyyyyyyyy

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
this mix absolutely cleans the floor of any other recent mix apart from that autonomic podcast....i'd lsitened to this one before, on the stream and not paying close attention but nah...kode 9 is a god. i'm gushing like a fan boy but i guess i am.

nomos

Administrator
yeah, thing is though, fuck dnb and everyone involved
anyone who listened to dnb at some point is a wanker, through and through
so these dubstep guys who used to listen to dnb must be morons

how should it be done though? i am curious...
just vision in selection?

haaaaaaardlyyyyyyyyyy

i listened to dnb.

and btw, in light of PM i just received, if you think you know who or where this was then you're probably wrong. i've been traveling a lot lately. anyway, all i'm saying is that i'd rather hear a selection of interesting tracks put together in an interesting way than a bunch of boring ones mixed perfectly.

Last edited: