Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I haven't really been listening to dubstep recently so I don't have much of an answer for this, but is anyone getting the fear that dubstep is spinning its wheels?

It looks, from my vantage point, that the three main types of dubstep are the stuff that is now getting called 'wonky', the 2-step garage-revival thing (is this still going strong?), and the populist wobbly rave stuff a la Rusko, Caspa, etc.

Because to me, that sounds like dubstep has become three things that don't really sound like dubstep at all - with perhaps maybe allowances for the latter: it sounds like dubstep the most, I just don't like it much.

And what with Kode 9 pretty much packing his bags, sweeping up the rest of the good artists who were sitting on the utmost fringes of dubstep and then playing funky...

Is there much still going that really carries the dubstep torch? This thread seems to be entirely about "wonky" people now. I really liked that Silkie and Quest set from the Generation Bass special...

PS: This is not a bait "dubstep is dead" post. This is an honest-to-god inquiry.

mms

sometimes
it's going to be an interesting year, but i think quite honestly that some of the bigger artist with their feet on the ground like mala and loefah (also got to remember
silkie and quest, both mala proteges) also joker if he keeps his strengths, some of the europeans, def martyn will outgrow what dubstep is right now like the hyperdub roster has, as yeah dubstep is now a kind of split between wobble and technodub stuff and looking back to 2 step stuff. The wonky, or curdled stuff as i like to call it is kinda cross genre, like a sort of patch between genres, but as soon as something becomes wonky as a noun it might start to get shit.

Ory

warp drive
the rusko type stuff is starting to remind me of electroclash/hipster-continuum nonsense. fits right in with french/electro-house/fidget/nu-rave and all that pish doesn't it.. :eek:

maybe not quite the same demographic overall? though people in certain places around the world are telling me that wobble is what the trendies listen to. who knows..

UFO over easy

online mahjong
will outgrow what dubstep is right now like the hyperdub roster has

have they? to me they are still very much part of dubstep and one of the major reasons im still excited by it

don't agree with the way you compartmentalised the various sounds either. they're all leaking into one another at the moment, i don't think they're necessarily independent of each other

Last edited:

hint

party record with a siren
the rusko type stuff is starting to remind me of electroclash/hipster-continuum nonsense. fits right in with french/electro-house/fidget/nu-rave and all that pish doesn't it.. :eek:

maybe not quite the same demographic overall? though people in certain places around the world are telling me that wobble is what the trendies listen to. who knows..

The Rusko album has been signed up to Diplo's Mad Decent label - an equation tailor made to get Dissensus hot under the collar.

Trendies don't listen to wobble.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
have they? to me they are still very much part of dubstep and one of the major reasons im still excited by it

All of this newer Hyperdub stuff sounds far more like the experimental west-coast left field hip hop/electronica sound (and in some cases actually is), than say, Loefah, Digital Mystikz, Skream, etc.

This newer "wonky" sounding dubstep sounds like dubstep the same way The Bug sounds like dubstep. Incidentally. Which is totally cool, I'm all for diversity and music without labels, but I'm not sure how this bodes if this is considered the bright, new future of the dubstep scene.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes

well rusko is the guy who gets into dj mag and other places where dubstep doesn't usually get, like annie mac show etc, there was a caspa and rusko fabric mix too.

mms

sometimes
The Rusko album has been signed up to Diplo's Mad Decent label - an equation tailor made to get Dissensus hot under the collar.

haha, yes the rusko stuff with its naff cockney ganster samples always strikes me as a near parody of the 'dubstep lndn ting' kind of attitude, he's a leeds guy isn't he, wonder if people from outside the world, think it's exotic local music and 'gangster' like baille funk?

mms

sometimes
#
don't agree with the way you compartmentalised the various sounds either. they're all leaking into one another at the moment, i don't think they're necessarily independent of each other

sure but those are the dominant sounds in large, this will change though, it's funny how european minimal guys think that the more linear dubstep stuff could be a sea change for minimal same way as i'm excited about wonky stuff.
yeah i think hyperdub create a new take on dubstep practically on each release, that's what i mean i guess.

gumdrops

wobblestep being seen as exotic or the 'real dubstep' might explain why pharrells dubsteppy track with lil wayne is like that.

gragy10

Veteran Lurker

True story - to the hipster crowd wobble is indistinguishable from big room Ram/Playaz style dnb which is generally sneered at as chav scum music..
Tbh i think Rusko's a bit of an anomaly within even the wobble subdivision - the Annie Mac/Switch patronage and ott photo shoot's are pretty far away from say N-Type, Cluekid or even Caspa

Blackdown

nexKeysound
i think this is pretty much the 'what is dubstep' discussion.

to me the wobble and techy camp are pretty much the largest parts. the interesting stuff happens inbetween.

the 2step stuff is bubbling under. there's not enough of it about, but what there is, is great. sully, burial, greivous = badmen. we make some 2step too.

the wonky stuff continues to amaze, especially as it's so gloriously undefined right now.

we're still massively into the overlap with grime, i dont care how much everyone else doesnt care. it mixes great with wonk.

i still like pinch, martyn and pev, but 99% of the techy dubstep is boring and stiff. anodyne headspace music that probably only sounds innovative if you're coming from scenes that are 4x4 ultra reductionist.

i think the 140 jungle stuff from LD, Cluekid and skream is really fun in a revivalist way.

but as for classic dubstep skream continues to make great music, he's really diverse right now, probably a lot more as a producer than as a DJ. and the kryptik minds album on loe's label is really good, holistic, stripped back, edgy but well restrained. and then there's the anti social boys for straight euphoric rollage.

igore the idiots and add in funky and hyperdub and things look rosy.

Last edited:

Badga Tek

Flushing MCs down the loo
igore the idiots and add in funky and hyperdub and things look rosy.

Exactly this. Its impossible to deny that in some ways today's dubstep doesn't seem to sound that similar to the way it did back in, say, 05 but, to me and plenty of others, its still dubstep. Its always covered quite a broad swathe of styles and I think the assertion that dubstep is simply 140bpm with an emphasis on sub-bass (although recently some of the techy stuff has even seemed to move away from the second part of this with much of the bass being centered solely in the kicks) still holds true. I'm still excited by the scene and appreciate the diversity that abounds at the moment.

And MMS, with regards to Rusko; he's originally from Ealing but lived in Leeds for a few years. His tunes aren't a parodic outsider's take on dubstep, he just loves hyped, jump-up music. He's a very genuine guy even if his tunes might sound like a complete piss-take. Personally, I've not always been a fan of his tunes (in fact, I've thought some of them have been dire - '2 Far' particularly stands out in my mind) but I have enjoyed a fair few of them even if its just been in a particular context and at a certain time.

mms

sometimes
And MMS, with regards to Rusko; he's originally from Ealing but lived in Leeds for a few years. His tunes aren't a parodic outsider's take on dubstep, he just loves hyped, jump-up music. He's a very genuine guy even if his tunes might sound like a complete piss-take. Personally, I've not always been a fan of his tunes (in fact, I've thought some of them have been dire - '2 Far' particularly stands out in my mind) but I have enjoyed a fair few of them even if its just been in a particular context and at a certain time.

yeah not saying they're an outsiders take, they seem cartoonish as hell to me though, not that dubstep has never had a problem with that, there was certainly a time when rastaman samples, were derigeur. i do agree that alot of dubstep could do with more energy though. i've never really enjoyed his tracks, or the kind of laddish mentality that is behind them. Whether he's a nice bloke or not is beside the point since i'm talking about his music.