Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
i dont get the hype over spongebob. i like the angry riff but its somehow still quite boring/stiff/conservative.

that newish mala one (lean forward?) is good, but only the a-side.

I like Spongebob because it's really what should have been an end to the who-can-make-the-biggest-banger pissing contest. Whilst everyone was poring over their LFO knobs, meanwhile Coki is going "fuck it" and injecting a speedball right into the neck of that sound, creating this monstrously over-wobbled track that is so exaggerated it's almost parody. For me it's the perfect end to a sound that past that point really started to get a bit played out.

Also, I'll take this opportunity to join in the chorus of praise about D1. D1 is a badman. He has bad manners.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
I like Spongebob because it's really what should have been an end to the who-can-make-the-biggest-banger pissing contest. Whilst everyone was poring over their LFO knobs, meanwhile Coki is going "fuck it" and injecting a speedball right into the neck of that sound, creating this monstrously over-wobbled track that is so exaggerated it's almost parody. For me it's the perfect end to a sound that past that point really started to get a bit played out.

please PLEASE!

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Fabric Live 37 - Caspa & Rusko

http://www.fabriclondon.com/press/beta/archives/714-Press-Release-FABRICLIVE-37-Caspa-Rusko.html

Looks kind of useful - something like a concentration camp for all the big wobblas. Just get it out of your system so you don't have to worry about it again.

01. Caspa - Born to do it - Sub Soldiers
02. L-Wiz - Girl From Codeine City - Dub Police
03. Caspa - Cockney Violin - Dub Police
04. Uncle Sam - Round the way Girls - Tes La Rok RMX - Argon
05. Rusko - Jahova - Sub Soldiers
06. Caspa - The Terminator - Sub Soldiers
07. Cotti - Legacy - -30
08. Matty G - 50K VIP - Argon
09. The Others - Africa VIP - Dub Police
10. Distance - V - Chest Plate
11. Caspa - Big Headed Slags - Sub Soldiers
12. Rusko - Too Far - Sub Soldiers
13. Coki - Sponge Bob - DMZ
14. Caspa - Louder - Pitch Black
15. Caspa & The Others - Well ‘Ard - Sub Soldiers
16. Unitz - The Drop - Dub Police
17. Rusko - Hammer Time - Sub Soldiers
18. Rusko - Mr Chips - Dub plate
19. Orien - Look At My Eyes - Dub Police
20. The Others - Fun House - Dub Police
21. Rusko - 2 N A Q - Sub Soldiers
22. Rusko - Cockney Thug - Sub Soldiers
23. Rusko - Cockney Thug - Buraka Som Sistema RMX - Sub Soldiers
24. Skream - Guru - Dub plate
25. Rusko - Beta Max - Dub plate
26. D1 - Im Loving - Tempa
27. Caspa & Rusko - Rock Bottom - Destructive
28. Orien - Rainbow Tear Drops - Dub Police
29. ConQuest - Forever - Dub Police

mos dan

fact music
http://www.fabriclondon.com/press/beta/archives/714-Press-Release-FABRICLIVE-37-Caspa-Rusko.html

Looks kind of useful - something like a concentration camp for all the big wobblas. Just get it out of your system so you don't have to worry about it again.

01. Caspa - Born to do it - Sub Soldiers
02. L-Wiz - Girl From Codeine City - Dub Police
03. Caspa - Cockney Violin - Dub Police
04. Uncle Sam - Round the way Girls - Tes La Rok RMX - Argon
05. Rusko - Jahova - Sub Soldiers
06. Caspa - The Terminator - Sub Soldiers
07. Cotti - Legacy - -30
08. Matty G - 50K VIP - Argon
09. The Others - Africa VIP - Dub Police
10. Distance - V - Chest Plate
11. Caspa - Big Headed Slags - Sub Soldiers
12. Rusko - Too Far - Sub Soldiers
13. Coki - Sponge Bob - DMZ
14. Caspa - Louder - Pitch Black
15. Caspa & The Others - Well ‘Ard - Sub Soldiers
16. Unitz - The Drop - Dub Police
17. Rusko - Hammer Time - Sub Soldiers
18. Rusko - Mr Chips - Dub plate
19. Orien - Look At My Eyes - Dub Police
20. The Others - Fun House - Dub Police
21. Rusko - 2 N A Q - Sub Soldiers
22. Rusko - Cockney Thug - Sub Soldiers
23. Rusko - Cockney Thug - Buraka Som Sistema RMX - Sub Soldiers
24. Skream - Guru - Dub plate
25. Rusko - Beta Max - Dub plate
26. D1 - Im Loving - Tempa
27. Caspa & Rusko - Rock Bottom - Destructive
28. Orien - Rainbow Tear Drops - Dub Police
29. ConQuest - Forever - Dub Police

i'm not sure i can handle listening to this, but is this the kind of definitive what's-made-dubstep-shit mix? when people talk in euphemisms about 'coki clones', is it people like rusko and caspa that you think are generally responsible? i'm interested, cos no-one ever names names. as far as i can see coki's done enough damage himself, in terms of putting out flatulent, one-dimensional dross.

nomos

Administrator
yeah but what makes spongebob truly genius is that it was made using only scissors, a shoe, and a bank of can openers, all played live through a delay pedal.

Last edited:

noel emits

i'm not sure i can handle listening to this, but is this the kind of definitive what's-made-dubstep-shit mix? when people talk in euphemisms about 'coki clones', is it people like rusko and caspa that you think are generally responsible? i'm interested, cos no-one ever names names. as far as i can see coki's done enough damage himself, in terms of putting out flatulent, one-dimensional dross.
The mix actually looks like fun, wall to wall jump-up sillyness and head banging by the looks of it. I suppose the worry if there is one is that stuff ends up dominating because it's just so obvious and immediate.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
as far as i can see coki's done enough damage himself, in terms of putting out flatulent, one-dimensional dross.

coki is a genius, he hasn't put out anything like that man - what tunes are you talking about? there's a lot going on in there, and sonically they're so different to everything else out there. coki-clones simply don't exist; people might be trying to imitate it but failing - he's totally his own guy with his own sound on his own level

mms

sometimes
coki is a genius, he hasn't put out anything like that man - what tunes are you talking about? there's a lot going on in there, and sonically they're so different to everything else out there. coki-clones simply don't exist; people might be trying to imitate it but failing - he's totally his own guy with his own sound on his own level

oh come on he's done alot of very samey boring tracks lately.
that big apple ep was the worst example.

on another note have buraka som sistema done anything else apart from that brill yah record?

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Coki is grossly overrated and a malign uninteresting influence.

Sponebob is good as its cartoonish excess is almost like a self-aware self-parody.

hopper

Coki is grossly overrated and a malign uninteresting influence.

Sponebob is good as its cartoonish excess is almost like a self-aware self-parody.

Coki's an interesting one who I think at his best can be pretty peerless but recently I've grown a bit tired of some of his newer stuff as I've been completely ready for it. I wouldn't say that the recent EP on big apple shows that he's samey and boring although I was kind of disappointed with some of it. I gather the sign and beep are old tunes and were released simply as they were requested, but I think redeye is an incredible tune, hidden treasure is to a formula I guess but his production is so spot on. He's got a good release on ringo that's worth checking out called mad head as well..

straight

wings cru
on another note have buraka som sistema done anything else apart from that brill yah record?

not much available here yet but theyve just signed to modular so some stuff will be coming out soon. They really dissapointed me when they played last week, they were playing klaxons and justice tunes and pretty much showed themselves up as bonde de role style pretenders

mixed_biscuits

Was in the Record/Tape Exchange on Berwick Street a couple of weeks ago and the guy behind the counter was playing some fanbloodytastic dubstep. I asked him who it was by and he told me it was unsigned stuff by a friend of his (who he didn't want to name, for some reason). I know it's a long shot, but does anyone have anything more on this lead?

noel emits

I preferred the reply you deleted yesterday UFO ;)

Did Bloodthirst ever come out? That was really fresh sounding when it first showed up on dub.

mos dan

fact music
ben, i am ill-equipped to back up what i said about coki, i admit - i can't name you individual tracks. i've always been useless at naming instros (not being a dj and also having a bad memory). i do know that i've heard a lot of boring dubstep sets this year that have been dominated by wobble and have no swing or subtlety. i cede to better-informed people on who is 'responsible' for this :)

that link you posted is fun though.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
i do know that i've heard a lot of boring dubstep sets this year that have been dominated by wobble and have no swing or subtlety.

for sure :) me too

coki's busting with swing though

noel - haha, I'm an idiot eh :D bloodthirst never came out I don't think, one of those that was supposed to be on the big apple EP at one point.

boomnoise

♫
Was in the Record/Tape Exchange on Berwick Street a couple of weeks ago and the guy behind the counter was playing some fanbloodytastic dubstep. I asked him who it was by and he told me it was unsigned stuff by a friend of his (who he didn't want to name, for some reason). I know it's a long shot, but does anyone have anything more on this lead?

:)