optimum

Poochie
Listening to these new Kryptic Minds + Leon Switch tunes on Loefah's label, it seems to me that there's a similarity in aesthetic with tunes by people like SP and Fracture (of Fracture and Neptune). Similar use of film dialogue, warped sub etc... Basically like techy DNB with a half-step beat. It's funny cos I loved dark half-step beats when Loefah, Skream etc. were making them but these tunes don't really do it for me quite so much (maybe just because I've heard it all before?). Not bad tunes either, would like to hear them on a big rig as I may get to since KM+LS are apparently playing DMZ on the 3rd. I'm sure they're very well engineered, which presumably is part of the appeal of them to Loefah (who I remember talking about his obsession with engineering to Blackdown in an interview a while ago), along with the obvious dark half-step connection.

I dunno though, there's just nothing as shocking and awe inspiring about them as in a tune like 'Mud'. But then that's a tough act to follow for ANY producer, including Loefah.

I agree, 'one of us' seems spectacularly ordinary

gremino

Moster Sirphine
Listening to these new Kryptic Minds + Leon Switch tunes on Loefah's label, it seems to me that there's a similarity in aesthetic with tunes by people like SP and Fracture (of Fracture and Neptune). Similar use of film dialogue, warped sub etc... Basically like techy DNB with a half-step beat. It's funny cos I loved dark half-step beats when Loefah, Skream etc. were making them but these tunes don't really do it for me quite so much (maybe just because I've heard it all before?). Not bad tunes either, would like to hear them on a big rig as I may get to since KM+LS are apparently playing DMZ on the 3rd. I'm sure they're very well engineered, which presumably is part of the appeal of them to Loefah (who I remember talking about his obsession with engineering to Blackdown in an interview a while ago), along with the obvious dark half-step connection.

I dunno though, there's just nothing as shocking and awe inspiring about them as in a tune like 'Mud'. But then that's a tough act to follow for ANY producer, including Loefah.
Man, they're not the same thing at all!! Loefah and '05 tunes still had groove in them although being very sparse. These Kryptic Minds + Leon Switch tunes sounds more like neurofunk, than that bleak, blurred, hazy, spacious and meditative Loefah sound.

For '05 sound, check out tunes:
Breakage - Callahan
DLX - Matter Of Fact (Breakage's Relatively Speaking Mix)
Zomby - Liquid Dancehall
Grievous Angel - Lickle Friction

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Yeah I think you're right, they're more rigid and functional... There's not the same use of space as in a tune like 'Ruffage' or 'Root'.

Dry.

ether

Yeah I think you're right, they're more rigid and functional... There's not the same use of space as in a tune like 'Ruffage' or 'Root'.

Dry.

their seems to be a slew of striped down well engineered and very functional, halfstep tunes at the moment, dnb producers like chase and status and kryptic minds etc. seem to take a more by numbers approach to building beats which leaves me cold.

Loefah to be fair reduced his palette down too so few elements, that he's had little room to maneuver, pure half steppin' 808 kit and bass'ed out rumbling atmospherics. Which could be why he's had had such a meager output off late.

I can see a big chasm between the sort of over engineered stuff Ntype hatcha etc. play (which sounds alot like dnb to me) and the more intricate sonically rich wonky and percussively led B-tech stuff.

boomnoise

♫
their tunes don't really grab me but what is interesting is the idea of harking back to a gone by dubstep aesthetic. it's something for me that hasn't really ever been totally realised by anyone out outside of the south london and affiliates of 02-05 since then and something which even most of those producers have moved past. these tunes do have something of that vibe but lack an nebulous rawness and groove. perhaps this is symptomatic of overproduction but these tunes are certainly closer to it than a lot of the genre’s current output. this isn't necessarily a good or a bad thing in my view but it's certainly a curious observation.

Ory

warp drive
loefah's halfstep tunes always sounded to me like they were challenging their own inherent sense of restraint. like there was a full-on hardcore tune underneath the surface waiting to get out. bass filter opening up, ravey whooshing sounds..

these new techy tunes don't really have that kind of tension..

doom

Public Housing
I always felt Loefahs tunes had actual wieght, a legitimate minimalism, you could hear that Loefah had gone thru a process of taking elements out, of filtering down, of re-focussing. These neu-halfstep tunes don't carry that wieght cos they are just simple, almost empty tunes, there is / was no process of whittling away. You can hear the producers thinking 'bugger me, that seems easy, I'll have a crack at that' so the resulting work is empty, having no history, lacking that internal struggle - the violence of removal. Those tunes are just immaculate surfaces, with no depth.

ether said:
Loefah to be fair reduced his palette down too so few elements, that he's had little room to maneuver

this is the end game of radical minimalism, eventually you back yourself into a corner, where you either pack it in or contradict / betray your original intentions. Part of the legitimacy of Loefahs work is that in perfecting his vision he has destroyed his ability to imagine a way forward... that takes king kong balls. His tunes where like the perfect weapon, the person that pushes the button first wins, but you've reduced the battlefield to a smoldering nothing, that no one in their right mind would want to win.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
i agree with most of the sentiments expressed about loe here but i would urge people to check "One of Us" by Kryptic Minds and Leon Switch on a big system rather than myspace. when Loe dropped it at DMZ it was incredible and we've since cut it and it still sounds amazing. its detail, mood and impact are amazing.

Yes it owes a debt to Loe's early sound but i feel about it like i feel about 2step beats in dubstep - it's been done before but if people dont do this style well it will die out of dubstep...

ether

loefah sort of created his own space, he added so much physicality to the the low-end in his tunes by burying it in its own acoustic space, the percussion always seemed to be given the same amount of attention as every other element, so it never seemed just functional, how the sparse elements where arranged really allowed the bass fall where it should, in that in-between space, which never really felt on the bar or syncopated it just felt right.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I have a series of complaints already lined up, mate...

1) Drinks are too expensive

2) There's loads of pricks here

3) I can't smoke weed

4) I can't smoke fags

5) The system in room 2 isn't loud enough, and all the good stuff should be in room 1

6) I just got jacked

7) Do you remember when it was like this? When I wasn't into it? It was much better then.

8) Why hasn't he played Mud yet?

mos dan

fact music
The line-up is crazy, I keep looking at the flyer and going into fresh ecstasies:cool:.

i've said never again lots of times before with fwd @ the end, but this line-up, and especially the year-by-year way they've structured it, is just something else... also i suppose this time i could say 'never again' and really mean it lol.

fwd nye tonight!! i wonder if anyone will actually play any dubstep. a party set from youngsta? hehe hmm... headhunter is billed too, i feel like he would suit quite a late slot. basically i want kode9 banging out ukg at midnight... :)

powerpill

yeah he is supposedly playing a garage set :D i cant see youngsta playing anything out of the ordinary. im well hyped to see marcus with tippa over the top..