Tanadan

likes things
you can get hardware that 'warms up' cds as well, gives it a level of analogue feel.

Aha - do you know any specific names or brands? This issue (whether vinyl sound, which I think is essentially a specific type of distortion vinyl gives to the original signal, can be replicated by other means) really interests me.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
someone told me that forthcoming models of the Pioneer CDJ 1000s was going to have a "vinyl" setting that mimics the format's sound signature. now if they could only sort the stupid turn wheel on the top...

optimum

Poochie
Just need to put some kind of eq and/or limiter on the final output of the track to make it sound ok off cd innit?

viktorvaughn

I spent YEARS waiting for a used one to pop up after being too broke when it was out. Such a monster it's ridiculous.

Huge! On Slimzos as i recall? Love that period of music. The bit on Alias' Gladiator with the vocal sample ramping up the pressure before the drop of the dark rusty metallic beat is up there too with the Pulse X gong-noise.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Sadly I don't have the slimzee cd... :(
Good to see the dubstep thread slowly morphing into the grime thread, creating new hybrids...
As I recall the issue is that Plastic People has an extremely good vinyl front end, but only a so-so CD / line in front end...

mms

sometimes

i'll burn that for you paul - also i think i have two copies of alias ' gladiator' if anyone is interested, there is a regular version and one with a good r n' g song on the b side.

boomnoise

♫
just as a lilttle aside to the thread i've got LD in the studio on the show on sub fm tonight at 8. little interview and mix thing. will also be dropping some funky for those interested.

benjybars

village elder.
True. I can imagine going to some shit party instead though maybe I'll go to FWD on my own and then trundle along to the shit party afterwards.

Slimzee Spyro Kode and Marcus I would pay 20 quid for anyway lol

yeah think i'm gonna go this for at least some part of the night... then u can come with me to a shit party at my mates house.

Now then…

I think it's also about how the CD is mastered. Maybe CD needs different mastering to avoid that harshness and metallic sound. You might never get that vinyl warmth, but sure you can do something.

It's geeky, but how about using convolution software such as Nebula 3?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convolution_reverb
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb08/articles/nebula3.htm

Convolution (in audio terms) is a way of simulating physical spaces (Notre-Dame Cathedral, jams jars etc.) by recording their 'response' (how things sound in them) and applying this 'blueprint' to your audio. You get the response by playing and recording an 'impulse' in the chosen space such as a sinewave sweeping from hi to low in pitch.

Soooo: In theory you could rock up to Transition (although the scheme may not be that popular with them...)with 10 seconds of sinewave, cut it to dub, and get the response from it. Then apply this to tracks before burning to cd.

It wouldn't sound as warm as a plate, as the audio would still be coming from cd, out of the cdj's output, but might be worth a pop.

Last edited:

jambo

slip inside my schlafsack
Hmm, I think the mastering process is bit more involved (rather than convolved ;)) and interactive than that and will depend on the content of each track but it might help to capture the character of some nice EQ. Like Liquid Mix?

Just rolling off a little top end and not over driving the signal usually helps quite a bit as well though. ;)

Now then…

yeah I was referring to the quick and dirty home "mastering" most ppl do before burning a track to cdr, and wasn't suggesting that this would make a better alternative to a mastering engineer's ears and racks of outboard gear.

What it could well do though is simulate the natural bass boost / top end roll off and harmonic distortion that the sound of acetate imparts.

ramadanman

part of the reason why vinyl sounds 'warmer' than CD:

There are certain high frequencies and levels of high frequency that just can't be cut to vinyl without distorting. Therefore any (Decent) cut to vinyl will take out these frequencies before cutting, otherwise you'll be left with nasty hi end on the vinyl. EG horrible sounding tamborines on a fair few records i own

With a CD you burn any (audible) frequencies you want, so theoretically you could have a massive resonant hi hit at 14k in a tune, and obviously it would still burn and play. It's just that on a system it will sound shit and probably painful

It's just a question of production approach if you are playing off CD. And of course the fact that dubs and vinyl go through a mastering engineer before being cut obviously helps

hint

party record with a siren
nah, shackout and skyankout never got released, which is a shame. i remember zed playing one of them at plastic people and it finding the natural resonance of the ceiling and nearly taking it out...

Ah... shame. So many great tracks from that period.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
There are certain high frequencies and levels of high frequency that just can't be cut to vinyl without distorting.

definitely. i've had to filter tunes in the 15k-20k region for vinyl cut. and these are exactly the frequencies that cause tinitus. so loud club play of CDrs = not the one.