new rock bands that don't suck

I saw Mika Miko some weeks ago, a great set, lots of positive energy. Judging from the EP I bought after the show they don't sound as great on record as on stage, but still pretty good. They played with No Age, a relatively new band with members of Wives. Great combination of 80s skatepunk and dreamy ambient/noisy loop stuff, very beautiful.

Related to Mika Miko (they share the sax player): Silver Daggers. Another great band right now, if hyperventilating no wavey noiserock is your thing.

tate

Brown Sugar
The new Magik Markers record will receive a lot of attention when it's released next month, I'd guess.

The new Magik Markers record will receive a lot of attention when it's released next month, I'd guess.

Which label will release that? Have you heard it? I'm interested to hear what they're up to now, haven't heard anything by them since Leah left except the Sada Jane album from last year, but that's pretty good.

tate

Brown Sugar
Lightning Bolt and Sightings are still the greatest
If we're going down the Sightings/Magik Markers/related road, there's a whole crop of great bands worth mentioning. The mighty Mouthus, for one, who are just ridiculously perversely sicko great. I wouldn't typically call them 'rock' though. But yeah, Mouthus.

Chris

fractured oscillations
Ok, if weird noisey bands count,

Agreed on, or adding: Magik Markers, Excepter, Indian Jewelry, Om, Silver Daggers, Residual Echoes, Psychic Ills, Boris, Pissed Jeans, Gay Against You, Comets on Fire, Circle, Fiery Furnaces, Turzi, Charalambides, Bardo Pond, Mouthus, No Age, Acid Mothers Temple, Beach House, Thunderbolt Pagoda, Gang Gang Dance, Ariel Pink, Electroputas, Rolo Tomassi, Dead Meadow, Joakim, Hypo... and so on. Some not rock, some not new, but whatevs.

tox

Factory Girl
Another vote here for Bardo Pond as worst live band ever. I actually had to go and sit outside the venue for the duration of the set - first and last time that's ever happened.

On the recommendations tips I thoroughly enjoyed Late of the Piers set at Field Day at the weekend. Check out the myspace although I'm not really digging the new "Bathroom Gurgle" single tbh...

petergunn

plywood violin
Lightning Bolt and Sightings are still the greatest

i used to dj at ALOT of noise rock shows in NYC in 2000-2003... Lightening Bolt are awesome the first time you see them and get progressively worse each time after, as they are exactly the same and the schtick wears off... Sightings, i never liked ever, and have seen like 10 times... i have heard they have gotten better, but they used to be unbearable...

to me, VAZ blow both of those bands away easy... just as much energy and noise, but with fucking amazing songs... they are my favorite rock band around... in an ideal world, they would be huge... one of the few bands around (easy action and the cro mags (various incarnations) are others) that i will go see anytime they are playing...

spooky girlfriend

Wild Horses
tell you what as well, maybe too 'mainstream' for yez or what have you, but i think the Grinderman album is pretty damn good. It's indicative of how ABSOLUTELY FUCKING WANK, RETRO AND BEREFT most 'popular' guitar music is when a bunch of hoary old 40-somethings kick the fucking arses of all these little 80s wannabe posh young shavers.

sounds tired when you put it up against classic Birthday Party though in my opinion. you can see why they had such a kinship with the Fall, nobody sounded like them at the time.
i'm prepared for a chiding for this but the only commercially viable rock band that don't annoy the fuck out of me at the moment are the cribs.. their stance in the music press and sound may not be original and i can't believe it's taken this long for somebody in the limelight to stand up and point out the fucking obvious, but they write decent alt-indie hooks that wouldn't sound out of place next to pavement or stuff of that era.
maybe the sophomore efforts of maximo park and kaiser chiefs have drawn me in aswell:eek: they're covered in classic Britpop sauce and they probably love the smiths so i can't resist...

it's encouraging that somebody that charts in this day and age wrote 'hey scenesters!'
on that note i can't believe i was considering going to Vice's 'tales of the jackalope' in my home county...

zhao

there are no accidents
have just heard 1 mouthus record based on high recommendations. verdict: big unlistenable screechy pile of hysterical annoy. same as lightning bolt.

i would put it on next time desperately in need of a migraine but i've deleted the files... maybe I'm getting old... maybe it just wasn't the right one? (sorry don't remember name) but kinda soured me on them, for now at least.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
have just heard 1 mouthus record based on high recommendations. verdict: big unlistenable screechy pile of hysterical annoy. same as lightning bolt.

From what I've heard of Lightning Bolt - not a lot, I grant you, just a couple of tracks - I've come to the same conclusion. Which is a shame, as I really like the idea of them, and have heard rave reviews from people with not-dissimilar musical tastes to mine.

Can any LB fans out there recommend some stuff by them that'd be good for a newbie to get into?

Last edited: