new rock bands that don't suck

zhao

there are no accidents
a shame, as I really like the idea of them

Re: Light Bolt - just a little more finesse with the sculpting of feedback... would do the trick. ok maybe a LOT more.

would some deep tones and almost "musicality" be too much to ask for?

and some kind of engaging rhythm section / bottom end wouldn't hurt either.

also, saw A.M. Temple at Terry Riley's 80th B-day concert last year and almost completely blocked it out of memory. inviting every hateful insult to hippies ever uttered -- drug damaged, pathetic over-the-hill losers swaying in a pseudo trance in Royce Hall, UCLA, while producing boring boring annoying cliche sounds without a hint of swing or psychoactivity. fucking embarrassing.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yikes. Sounds like a really, really shit version of Mogwai.

Any Moggers fans out there? I don't listen to them so much at home but they're brilliant live. I reckon.

have just heard 1 mouthus record based on high recommendations. verdict: big unlistenable screechy pile of hysterical annoy. same as lightning bolt.

I found Mouthus to be rather meditative... it takes a while to zone in, but under all the screeching and rattling is a monk's choir. Lightning Bolt is a very differint thing for me, I think they are ok but too gimmicky for me.

spooky girlfriend

Wild Horses
I saw Mika Miko some weeks ago, a great set, lots of positive energy. Judging from the EP I bought after the show they don't sound as great on record as on stage, but still pretty good. They played with No Age, a relatively new band with members of Wives. Great combination of 80s skatepunk and dreamy ambient/noisy loop stuff, very beautiful.

Related to Mika Miko (they share the sax player): Silver Daggers. Another great band right now, if hyperventilating no wavey noiserock is your thing.

have checked out the no-wave revival bands centred around L.A's 'the Smell' club on myspace...not impressed..they all just sound like Erase Errata. but i guess if you like no wave then it's the shizzle. there was some ok stuff but it's the spirit in which it has been made i admire as opposed to the music which seems derivative. most of it seems to sit on the noise/music divide. not to the extent of the aforementioned lightning bolt mind.

Chris

fractured oscillations
I love Black Moth Super Rainbow. Good call on Fujiya & Miyagi too.

Hadn't heard Unsolved Mysteries yet, but I really like the atmosphere to their stuff.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Ponytail, The Death Set, Mika Miko, Baroness, Asobi Seksu, Bearsuit...

Not all super-new, but all good. I assume that's Baroness' myspace, it won't load for me.
Really like what I've heard of the new Ponytail record. They probably get associated with a lot of stuff I hate for being pointlessly mathy or annoyingly twee, but this is great fun. Sounds like OOIOO meets Oneida but it feels like The Feelies sitting in for early Kraftwerk or something. Good vibes.

polystyle

A Place To Bury Strangers

They were pretty good live Friday night.
The sound got better , things really picked up when the singer/guitarist put the vocal mic in front of his amp and the volume went up to where expectations began to be met !
The press blurb read 'Joy Division meets Ministry' but live (and on their myspace) they sounded like JD + distortion on bass,
drummer with some Steve Morris minimalist kit and reverb and the Jesus & Mary Chain banner noted by the guitarist / vocalist ...

zhao

there are no accidents
gave Mouthus another try: and i see what someone was saying about meditative now - i put on the wrong headache record, and should have started with Sister Vibration: good subdued gray-scale tones.

Magik Markers easy and catchy for psych but heavy enough. great.

feeling some of these "shitgaze" bands too now.

(almost) restoring my faith in rock'n'roll... ok ok lets not get hysterical: i simply think some of them don't suck. very much. more just kinda poo-like, in a very good way.

Blank Dogs: sweet lo-fi goth wave genius sound. if Bauhaus wasn't so full of themselves? cheap synthesizers so crappy! so good! definitely nostalgic but more than that somehow... kind of magical. i can listen to them for quite a while.

Pink Reason: depressive candle light drug rituals... nice.

must explore more of these, like Place to Bury Strangers...