new rock bands that don't suck

D84

bands that i SHOULD like (from description, theory, and "what they do") but don't at all:

Lightning Bolt, Wolf Mother, Motorpsycho, Acid Mothers Temple, Boris, Charalembide (spelling?)...

I know how you feel! Although I have Boris' Pink album and I rate it.

If you're looking for something heavy and stonery as per your list above, I highly recommend you check out the newly reformed Carcass live. They'll be in San Fransisco in a couple of weeks. Get bent and stand in front of the mixing desk.

Having seen them previously in the early 90s (not a great gig), I didn't expect much when I went to see them last year but was totally blown away. Hardly new by any measure but very good. And I love anyone who dedicates a song to "those who still believe in Satan, the Queen and Santa Claus" :cool:

My mate's getting into Justice. He played me their bonus live DVD which was a bit of a lads' own kind of deal - some nice/funny moments. Not sure what to think of them as a band yet though.

Cool thread. I've been thinking the same. Cheers all for the links to check out.

polystyle

The label Drag City does have a certain taste and touch, I give them some credit too.
Whether one even digs the music or not, it's great the word can get out so late ...:)

Leo

nite jewel - good evening (not "rock" per se, but pretty cool. dreamy, lo-fi, catchy but not quite easy)

Last edited:
I really like Mi Ami

One could probably dismiss them as a being simply a combination of influences that are cool in hipster circles, but fuck it, hyperactive physicality + tunnelvision repetition, I think it's great.