Suggest a Book for the dissensus book club!

jenks

thread death
How do you mean? Choosing one that everyone liked? (Well, almost everyone, I think PeterGunn's first comment was that he was finding it incredibly boring so far and as there weren't any more after that I'm guessing it didn't pick up.) I actually don't think that's the most important thing.
Anyway, looks as though the Vian is the most popular so far.... anyone else got any suggestions, violent objections etc?

I suppose you are right about us all not having to like it. I think though it's kind of good if some of us do.

I think we were lucky in choosing Austerlitz in the sense that it was such a rich book and people seemed, on the whole, very enthusiastic to discuss it (look what happened when Regeneration was chosen!)

What I don't want to end up with are utterly entrenched positions where no-one else is listening to what others are saying anymore ( like various other threads on this board at the moment.) It hasn't happened so far and probably says something about the way the dabates have been conducted over in this dusty corner of Dissensus.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I think we were lucky in choosing Austerlitz in the sense that it was such a rich book and people seemed, on the whole, very enthusiastic to discuss it (look what happened when Regeneration was chosen!)"
Yeah, was some good debate I thought, but the same was true of RR in my opinion. The book club may be getting smaller each time but it's a dedicated few who are keen to do it I reckon. Who is still in, by my count it's You, Lichen, Jenks and Me. Anyone else fancy a go? Mr Tea, Crackerjack, Ripley etc?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm still in, it's just a case of synchronising with everyone else. I'm on the penultimate chapter of the Rushdie I'm reading at the moment, so I'll be up for starting something new this week. There's a pristine copy of GR sitting on my bookshelf at home, though of course the choice of what to read next has to be by concensus.

jenks

thread death
I've done GR and it really dragged (sorry), don't know if i could rally the enthusiasm to do it all again (then again it may all cohere into something meaningful this time:slanted:)

IdleRich

IdleRich
Well, it seems a bit counter-productive to me to deliberately pick something that at least two of us have read - especially if one didn't enjoy it.
Are you in for this then Mirror? What do you think to Boris Vian (which is looking most popular)?

you

Hey idle, Id be very happy to read Vian, however, as an aside i would like to mention ive already Bought "the fighter" by Davidson, and so has Kathy.... ( shes already finished it too ).

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Hey idle, Id be very happy to read Vian, however, as an aside i would like to mention ive already Bought "the fighter" by Davidson, and so has Kathy.... ( shes already finished it too)."
Who is Kathy?

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
Are you in for this then Mirror?
I'm afraid I can't join y'all as I'm committed (as it were) to finishing Magic Mountain and I am not one to read more than one novel at a time. But I admit I'd be thrilled if you picked MM...

Also, maybe you guys would want to consider Denton Welch's A Voice Through a Cloud; Burrough's favorite writer; I think these books about sanatoriums (sanatoria?) are perfect for these bleak winter months; a great book; autobiographical, slightly morbid yet life affirming. Really good book, not too long...

you

She suggested gravitys rainbow a few pages back..

Idlerich - do want to go through the whole PM voting system again??

Welch looks interesting EM.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Not really. I thought that seeing as there are only about four people interested we should be able to reach a consensus. Especially as I'm basically happy to read the Welch one or the Vian or even the Davidson.

you

So im not going to decide - Vian or Davidson ;-)

That was kinda what I trying to get at, but I didnt want to be the guy to say "its this" especially seeing as Davidson and Vian were both my suggestions originally, and Regeneration was my choice too and a bit of a flop. I just thought id mention Davidson as I know another user who has read it and ive ordered it anyway. But im always ordering books id be happy to read any other book.

You mentioned Welch first, is that a preference???

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Six - I'll get in synch with everyone else this time. Rich, can you get me a copy, like you did with Austerlitz?

It sounds good from the Amazon review - "It makes new eyes grow, take my word for it" - positively Lovecraftian! :)