Suggest a Book for the dissensus book club!

IdleRich

IdleRich
Great, let's do that then.
I'll see if they've got it in Borders at lunchtime Ollie, otherwise it's Amazon I guess.

Kathy, sorry about saying "who is Kathy?", I honestly didn't remember that name amongst those who expressed an interest.

jenks

thread death
Do you not have bookshops who can order things in which arrive the next day?

It's what i shall be doing

Maybe being outside of that there London is not such a bad thing after all:cool:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Actually can probably get it ordered quite quickly through Borders (though not as cheaply as £5.50 I imagine).

Kathy

my friendly bookseller couldn't get it, nor could my unfirendly menopausal librarian. Just ordered it from amazon (£7.10 with p&p..) but it'll take over a week so don't start without me!! No offence taken idlerich, having graced this message bored only thrice it's no great surprise I have been forgotten. Future memory lapses will not be forgiven..

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Actually can probably get it ordered quite quickly through Borders (though not as cheaply as £5.50 I imagine)."
OK, can't get it through Borders so Amazon it is. Should be here in four or five days.

"Future memory lapses will not be forgiven..."
I have been warned.

jenks

thread death
Do you not have bookshops who can order things in which arrive the next day?

It's what i shall be doing

Maybe being outside of that there London is not such a bad thing after all:cool:

:eek::eek::eek: ermm...my friendly local provincial bookseller quoted me a £18 and a month's wait! So, amazon got my custom, they claim 1-2 days, we'll see:eek::eek::eek:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"ermm...my friendly local provincial bookseller quoted me a £18 and a month's wait! So, amazon got my custom, they claim 1-2 days, we'll see"
Pride comes before a fall.
Anyone got their copy yet? Mine hasn't turned up yet and I'm getting concerned 'cause I'm going away for a week on Sunday with work - if it doesn't turn up on Saturday I'm going to lose another week before I can begin.
Enjoying the Saragossa thing though, very readable, very similar to Arabian Nights but more gory.

jenks

thread death
Still waiting.

I'm trying to clear the decks for it - got On The Road for Xmas, it's the version straight from the infamous scroll. I thought maybe it would be a bit of an embarrassing reminder of my gauche adolescent reading tastes but it actually stands up really rather well.

I could do with some chapters and paragraphs but the actual story is better than I remember - much more tender and personal in this version with everybody retaining their original names and much more detail about relationships. I suppose a lot less self mythology here before the editors got hold of it and told him to amp up certain aspects of the tale.

Potocki next after Vian

you

yup mine arrived early this week, kinda only just starting it, multiple reasons why though....

After a chapter or two maybe ill be able to post some thoughts.

jenks

thread death
Me too, starting it tonight whilst all you dissensus types are out at dead cool east london all nighters, or wherever it is that you go

you

Just thought id post seeing as im 50 pages in.

Intro was interesting ( as with vians 'I spit on your graves' the writing and reading of the book is as much a part of the performance/art as the actual story in a kinda 'meta' kinda way... for me at least ) id like to try an examine this more but my brain is mush after giving full time employment a bash.... but ive kinda kept this murky undeveloped notion of mine in mind whilst reading this one... while some descriptions are purely poetic and wonderful, in a normal..errr...good (?) way, others are just awkward and very close to being non-sensical - I really think both of these aspects of the read are a consequence of the alleged 1000 translations and its a pleasure to drift between the two, burroughsesque hallucinatory scenes lunge into awkwardly exacting and scientifically broached scenes..... and the world of colin and nicolas and chloe etc feels kinda penumbral through these constant shifts of the readers awareness/immersion blahblah.....

jenks

thread death
i'm going to start a Foam of the Daze thread to keep things tidy.

Currently twenty pages from the end whilst also reading Lichtenstein's On Brick Lane. It's got a very simple style - she interviews a range of people to get a feel for the area, how it has changed, what it's like away from the tourist cheap curry house kind of thing. I read her book with Sinclair - Rodinsky's Room which i liked more because, i suppose her plain style was spiced up by Sinclair's fervid prose.

I like the way she tries to get underneath the simple myth of East end melting pot etc which is so easily dispensed by writers on this area.

jenks

thread death
What's up next?

Looks like Vian discussion didn't really take off.

I think Idle should choose next.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah, how come, was it just the three of us who read it?
Oh well.
Hmm, I'm up for suggesting something. Just give me a minute to think. I actually nicked someone's idea and started reading A Voice Through A Cloud which I'm kind of enjoying, (thanks for the tip whoever it was) but probably means that that one is out. I'll try and come up with a suggestion today... then see what everyone thinks.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Some suggestions

Just some fairly random suggestions of things that I've either randomly thought sounded interesting or worthily intended to read for years: The Good Soldier by Ford Maddox Ford, Hangover Square by Patrick Hamilton, Godlike by Richard Hell, Absalom Absalom by William Faulkner er... how's that to be going along with?
Any thoughts?

jenks

thread death
I think all sound good - I ahve read a couple but that's not a problem because I think reading something knowing that you will have to say something about a book is a good idea.

I am a huge fan of Ford and have read all manner of things by him nad would be interested to have a proper debate about his work.

I think Hamilton is always worth a read but out of all of them I am inclined towards the Faulkner but would be happy with any.

Who else is in this time round?