Suggest a Book for the dissensus book club!

you

have not read any of those guys - Id be happy to read any although I have a slight leaning towards Faulkner.

Idle just choose if you like. I may even sit this one out, kinda dont want to put Bros K down again.

jenks

thread death
Two people? Is that the best we can do, out of the whole of Dissensus - last count 4604 registered users?

The impulse for starting the reading group was a rant of mine about the paucity of literary debate and Idle mobilised the book club.

Rubbish!

crackerjack

Two people? Is that the best we can do, out of the whole of Dissensus - last count 4604 registered users?

The impulse for starting the reading group was a rant of mine about the paucity of literary debate and Idle mobilised the book club.

Rubbish!

Haven't really been following this lately as I'm thinking my tastes might be a bit more Richard & Judy than Dissensus. But I'm up for Hangover Sq if you're doing that.

Incidentally, has anyone read this?

Looked interesting when i was flicking thru Borders, but I wasn't really into Wisdom of Crocodiles, which promised way more than it delivered (in fact i can barely remember what it was about - started brilliantly and then lost me completely)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Anyone else - Tea, Kathy, Crackerjack? - or is down to the hardcore of Jenks and me?

Hmm, I'd love to, but I'm about 100 pages (i.e. approx 11%) into my current Stephenson doorstop. I'll think about it when I've finished this one, it's the last in the trilogy.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"But I'm up for Hangover Sq if you're doing that."
In that case I think we should probably go for that to increase our membership by fifty percent - I reckon we give that a go, what say you?

jenks

thread death
So...is the internationally renowned book club going to stir its stumps one more time or should it be put out of its misery?

jenks

thread death
Ok maybe we should state what is on out to be read shelves at home and go from there.

My TBR pile is usually about ten to fifteen books deep and gets resorted as the mood takes me.

I've got soem old school travel stuff by Hudson and Thesiger there, also a bunch of Conrad, Maghern's (sp?) short stories, a biog of Picasso, an Eco, Potocki, Woody Allen's collected prose, a History of Art, Arnold Bennett's diaries and some other stuff...

Alternatively we could pick something else

IdleRich

IdleRich
I've got the Daniil Kharms thing that Ripley recommended, also Supermale by Jarry, um, Marks of Identity by Juan Goytisolo which might be a bit of a slog. Plus I've just started the Huysmans one I mentioned in the other thread and I've got Illuminatus to read as well.
So no matches there.

you

Ill be reading this soon, havent bought it yet but really really want to read it - dystopic? Yup. Russian? Yup!

Probably as a result of Bros K and Brave New world...

Also would like to read Palaniuk - but everyones read him - right? Reading Craig Davidson made me realise how much I love visceral, nihilistic fiction - yummy.

Also what about Swasticker Nights??? Inspired loadsastuff...

Id be up for anything though this time round.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Ill be reading this soon, havent bought it yet but really really want to read it - dystopic? Yup. Russian? Yup!"
I've always meant to get round to that one...could be a good choice for the book club... maybe...?