Grime Top Tens

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
its a crazy idea. but there was a lot of media hype around the time of his not very good first album. all that bristol stuff is pretty dire. tricky i spose is at least the best a of a bad bunch.

Nah you're deluded or deliberately missing the point.

Tricky - and the rest, but especially him - was the voice of second generation UK youth who were too young for the Specials. That's all it is, but for the people it was important to, it was very important. A black kid covering Siouxsie? Do you know how little the mixed race or black population was within the rock and alternative gig goers (in London, I can't talk for Bristol) in the 80s? I can count them on two hands. That doesn't mean that Tricky meant a shit to anyone outside of that, but I knew what he was saying, which was 'I'm black and I cross-dress and I like alternative music.' I think that - and he - stands for alot, and it was deeply important to say that at that time, but it's a cultural thing rather than a purely music one, hence the media being able to talk about it.

Portishead were and are conceptually brilliant, Massive Attack I don't care about, but sonically they got there. I really don't know what you're talking about, or how you can be so blithe, unless you weren't living here under Thatcher or you're stupid.

The greatest failure of Wiley et al is that they've chosen merely to rep their endz rather than being culturally further with their ideas. No-one cares about what endz you rep.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
The greatest failure of Wiley et al is that they've chosen merely to rep their endz rather than being culturally further with their ideas. No-one cares about what endz you rep.

Absolutely. Also, I wasn't living in England during Thatcher years.

EDIT: Tell a lie, yes I was. But I was also 0-4 years old. So Tricky wasn't really doing it for me so much as Assorted Disney Classics Vol. 4 was.

Last edited:

luka

i was born in 79. thats the year thatcher came to power.
what i think, and i'm sorry if you don't agree, but this is what i think,
all that music is shit. thats all. tricky is shit, portishead are awful and masive attack are the worst of all. i bracket portishead and massive attack with m-people. tricky is a little more deserving of respect cos he had one or two songs that i quite liked but thats one chapter of engsh music hisotry i hope gets rapidly forgotten. bristol is an insignisicant little backwater and so is its little trip-hop scene.

luka

dunno... never heard it. i'm just talking about the big three that got all the hype.
theres bristol people that made good music. roni size and his little mates made some alright records. dunno what new forms would sound like now, maybe shit, but before that i remember liking his records.

luka

yeah poems is one of the songs of his i like. and i actually love 'makes me wanna die' to be honest which detracts from my rhetorical stance but i can't help myself, i really love the soppy song.

Benny Bunter

his first album (Maxinquaye) is way overrated, but stuff like "Pre Millenium Tension', 'Angels with dirty faces' and the Grassroots EP is way underrated. And Poems from nearly god with Terry Hall, martina and tricky on vocals is one of the most beautiful songs i know. Everybody was always complaining that he never equaled maxinquaye, i think for a time he only got better

'PMT' is waay underrated!. 'Tricky Kid' is an amazing tune. I wonder what he'd sound like slurring over a slow grime beat (something like Dizzee's 'Cut em off' maybe?).

'Blowback' is possibly the shittest record in my entire collection though. What happened?!:mad:

benjybars

village elder.
i was born in 79. thats the year thatcher came to power.
what i think, and i'm sorry if you don't agree, but this is what i think,
all that music is shit. thats all. tricky is shit, portishead are awful and masive attack are the worst of all. i bracket portishead and massive attack with m-people. tricky is a little more deserving of respect cos he had one or two songs that i quite liked but thats one chapter of engsh music hisotry i hope gets rapidly forgotten. bristol is an insignisicant little backwater and so is its little trip-hop scene.

haha. deep. (but probably a bit harsh)

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I thought the question wasn't whether Tricky was any good or not, it's whether he had any cultureal impact / influence or not. I would originally have said he was but he didn't, although Sloane makes an interesting point.

But I guess it wouldn't be Dissensus without people treating their personal likes and dislikes as being indicative of some sort of universal truth, would it....

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Really?

Can anyone really explain why Tricky could even be considered this at all?
I'm probably not clued up at all, or too young or something, but I've never heard anyone mention Tricky in this way before.

Tricky, Goldie, Massive Attack, Portishead, Roni Size, etc. were HUGE worldwide at one point and they changed the entire face of the music scene and had everyone following their lead. You couldn't find a publication that dealt with music that didn't do regular features on them and music fans literally couldn't wait to hear what they made next. This was all between 1994-1999 mostly so if you weren't of music buying/music publication reading age back then you would've completely missed it all.

"Blowback" did suck and Goldie's "Mother" was jokingly referred to as "the song that almost killed Drum n' Bass" stateside back in the days. Some kid stole my VHS copy of the Metalheadz documentary way back in 2000.

One.

benjybars

village elder.
no, the question was whether this was true: 'wiley is the most important musician of the last 20 years'

so do you think this is an universal truth, or are personal likes and dislikes playing their part here as well.

what percentage of people have ever even heard of wiley do you think? (as you seem to want to make it "objective") I guess people will tend to think Oasis or Radiohead might be more important.

nah it was a completely subjective statement!

LOADS of people standardly have no idea who wiley is. i just meant that personally, he's the british musician i get most pleasure from listening to (er, no homo i guess) and, combined with that, i just think it's amazing how big a role he played/plays in grime (musically and culturally).

basically i was feeling a lot of love for wiley when a wrote that.

(one of my secret fears is taking pills/mdma at a club where wiley is performing, and getting really high and buzzing off my face and then going up to wiley and telling him how amazing i think he is and how much i love his music and how important he is.. hahaa. i really hope that never happens.)

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
nah it was a completely subjective statement!
Ah, okay, I took it as being fairly objective - there's loads of bands / musicians that I don't like that much but would consider more Important in terms of influence, cultural impact, scene building etc than bands that I like more. Certainly I wouldn't take the fact that Luka doesn't like much of Tricky's material as a sign that Tricky is 'unimportant', just that he's not to Luka's personal tastes.

benjybars

village elder.
top 10 grime vinyl releases anyone?

i'm gonna go away and think about it.. i suggest you lot do the same. ;)

benjybars

village elder.
i think this is mine ...

1. wiley - eskimo (single sided) (wiley kat)
2. spooky - joyride / firing range (slew dem recs)
3. rapid - who's mercs / good old days (adamantium)
4. dizzee - stand up tall / give u more (XL)
5. roll deep & ruff sqwad - sidewinder / tragedy (white)
6. wiley - ice rink vocals vol.2 - (white)
7. DJ wonder - what / asia - (dumpvalve)
8. footsie & tubby - it's war / morbid (braindead)
9. Y.G.C - countdown riddim (jammer remix) - (white)
10. ruff sqwad - anna - (white)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
D Double E/Wiley/Trim/Skepta (a while ago)/Riko

Terminator MC is my favourite of all time though. Mums blouse > Nans cardigan