Grime Top Tens

mos dan

fact music
best endz video (and possibly my favourite piece of grime) ever, southside allstars:
female allstars is worth a mention too for those who haven't seen it:
how can no lay be so amazing on that and yet her mixtapes have been so.. meh?

female allstars is worth a mention too for those who haven't seen it:

I always wondered who Queenie was on that and why I've never heard of her again. Little skinny girl with glasses and an alright flow but never mind.

(Presuming this is "Grab Dat Mic")

mos dan

fact music
I always wondered who Queenie was on that and why I've never heard of her again. Little skinny girl with glasses and an alright flow but never mind.

(Presuming this is "Grab Dat Mic")

it is indeed.

fire camp - war riddim is a fav (tune and video): just for 2face, jokes in this. and the video concept - erm, some guys, in a tunnel, spitting. that's it.

great to see skepta's private caller again, haven't seen that in years!!

replace "audio" with "download" in the link, see if that works?
zshare is problematic these days, for me at least.

slakk that is in no way the same riddim as the one crazy spits over

at least, not the one you've put up

there is another version with armour (or is it hyper>?)- which kicks off with the bars "you're not from my way.."

massive

Last edited:

outraygeous

Tee

were out numbereddddddddddddd/
like spartanssssssssssssss/

and he also says 'brap' in slow motion

best mc in grime ever

viktorvaughn

there is another version with armour (or is it hyper>?)- which kicks off with the bars "you're not from my way.."

massive

Armour! There's an older name. I quite like him 'Armour AKA Big Timer, Big Beater'. Some of the NASTY sets c.2003 with Stormin, Nasty Jack, Shark Major et al are ridic. He does blend into Hitman Hyper a bit in my head though, guess they both have that slightly US influenced garage-y style.

Nasty Jack is SO SO amazing at his best and totally underrated. He spews out non-sequiturs that would make Wiley jealous

I get pissed on a bottle of Becks
Becks and a zoot yeah rocks my head
I might buy an armoured vest
I might draw a fat girl to my bed
I think the wife might be vexed
She always trying to tell me she on her reds...

POW

Last edited:

massive

just guesswork from names alone with youtube blocked- i think i know which one you mean now though.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Originally Posted by Diggedy Derek
I've thought about my top 1 a lot, and although "All Day Long" is a good shout, for me, the GOAT grime-wise is "Destruction (VIP)", with Wiley, D-Double E, Kano and Durrty Goodz.

Truly one of the 'wtf?' moments (in a complimentary sense of course) in 2000s popular culture.

completely agree...was pitching this idea to a grime-fan film-maker the other day saying that a great grime documentary, would be one based on this tune - the career ups and downs of its five protagonists - Wiley, D Double, Kano, Goodz & Jammer - since it was released

That's an amazing, amazing idea. It sends shivers up my spine to think of that.

What I think is astonishing about the track, really, is that none of the MCs bears a major debt to hiphop, they all have totally off the wall flows. That one track condenses everything that was fresh in grime into a track that's almost less than three minutes long (and that condensing, that kind of succinctness, was itself a key thing with grime)

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktorvaughn
I love the bit on Destruction VIP where Doogz comes in and shouts 'Over all...Over all - who be the best outta all?' It sounds like some strange war-cry
EXACTLY - that's one of my favourite bits in any piece of music ever

Although it's not my favourite bit, at that stage you're thinking, cor, the fourth MC is going to have to do something pretty fresh to stand out after the first three... and then it's like some utterly possessed nutter has walked in the studio. It's so off the wall.

Immryr

i think that crazy t gunshot riddim might be a skepta thing. it sounds like a remix of one of the tunes on the b side of thuggish ruggish.

That's an amazing, amazing idea. It sends shivers up my spine to think of that.

What I think is astonishing about the track, really, is that none of the MCs bears a major debt to hiphop, they all have totally off the wall flows. That one track condenses everything that was fresh in grime into a track that's almost less than three minutes long (and that condensing, that kind of succinctness, was itself a key thing with grime)

Although it's not my favourite bit, at that stage you're thinking, cor, the fourth MC is going to have to do something pretty fresh to stand out after the first three... and then it's like some utterly possessed nutter has walked in the studio. It's so off the wall.

i dont think anything beats d doubles bars on that track - talk about off the wall, its completely off the radar of comprehension, just mental

i think the 6minute version is more epic though - and sharkie major comes in with some good bars - crazy t also vocalled the destruction riddim for lord of the decks one or two, i forget which, but that version was also massive

@ slackk - would love to know the name of that riddim also, (if its not just known as gunshot riddim)

Last edited:

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
i think the 6minute version is more epic though

What what what? There's a longer version? Please, someone give it to me?

This is like finding out that the 3 minute version of "Rapper's Delight" is a mere excerpt from the real deal.

pulse eskimo IS gunshot.
I'll look at youtube tomorrow anyway.

Back to lists, my top 10 pirate sets because why not. This is just right now, off the top of my head;

1/2; Young Man Standing 1 & 2.
The encapulation of the concept; bags of MCs and hype, beats that still get me aggy now, EVERYONE on their one-line flows and biggest bars. Perfect.
3; 25/12/05, Roll Deep B2B Slew Dem B2B Ruff Sqwad.
Just look at the line-up. Xmas day sets always hold a soft spot in my heart- they're all drunkish, upbeat, just barring. First time I ever Tempz.
4; Roadside Gs, 1Xtra Halloween.
Cameo basically just plays all the beats from Lesson 2, few others obviously, bare slewing. RSGs are kind of a myth to me, I only have 2 of their sets, they're both amazing. Shame.
(not on the site yet, slipping)
5; Bionics ft Kano, Ghetto, Demon and Big Seac.
It's painful to even think about Kano I think. To think how sick he actually was and what he is, wow. This is his peak, for me. Big Seac is badly underappreciated, Ghetto less frenetic than normal and it just clicks.
6; 08/03/04, SLK and Ruff Sqwad
I've never understood why the internet ignores SLK (bar VIP2), such a heated crew. Ruff Sqwad you already know. Also has a beat I wheel myself on the mp3 that I've only heard there. 50 minutes of those on early 04 beats? Boy.
7; 27 minutes of Musical Mobb.
J-Wing, Dizzman and Rugrat in a mountain of distorted hype, all three of those are just madly underrated if not forgotten by most. I used to listen to this smoke weed with my cousin to this in my old Nova driving round Lewisham so much we knew every bar.
8; Durrty Vs Wiley, with Dizzee, God's Gift, a bit of waste.
If it wasn't for Dogzilla etc turning up, top 3. As it is, the biggest 1st half of a set going. Doogz, Wiley and Dizzee ciphering, turns into a clash, Wiley gets HYPE, it's sick.
9; Chronik and Tempz (slew dem) slewing Ghetto and Demon.
Needs to be heard to be heard, simple as. Angriest, funniest set ever.

I'll finish there, there are dozens I want to write about tbh and I'm going the pub in a minute.

outraygeous

pulse eskimo IS gunshot.
I'll look at youtube tomorrow anyway.

Back to lists, my top 10 pirate sets because why not. This is just right now, off the top of my head;

1/2; Young Man Standing 1 & 2.
The encapulation of the concept; bags of MCs and hype, beats that still get me aggy now, EVERYONE on their one-line flows and biggest bars. Perfect.
3; 25/12/05, Roll Deep B2B Slew Dem B2B Ruff Sqwad.
Just look at the line-up. Xmas day sets always hold a soft spot in my heart- they're all drunkish, upbeat, just barring. First time I ever Tempz.
4; Roadside Gs, 1Xtra Halloween.
Cameo basically just plays all the beats from Lesson 2, few others obviously, bare slewing. RSGs are kind of a myth to me, I only have 2 of their sets, they're both amazing. Shame.
(not on the site yet, slipping)
5; Bionics ft Kano, Ghetto, Demon and Big Seac.
It's painful to even think about Kano I think. To think how sick he actually was and what he is, wow. This is his peak, for me. Big Seac is badly underappreciated, Ghetto less frenetic than normal and it just clicks.
6; 08/03/04, SLK and Ruff Sqwad
I've never understood why the internet ignores SLK (bar VIP2), such a heated crew. Ruff Sqwad you already know. Also has a beat I wheel myself on the mp3 that I've only heard there. 50 minutes of those on early 04 beats? Boy.
7; 27 minutes of Musical Mobb.
J-Wing, Dizzman and Rugrat in a mountain of distorted hype, all three of those are just madly underrated if not forgotten by most. I used to listen to this smoke weed with my cousin to this in my old Nova driving round Lewisham so much we knew every bar.
8; Durrty Vs Wiley, with Dizzee, God's Gift, a bit of waste.
If it wasn't for Dogzilla etc turning up, top 3. As it is, the biggest 1st half of a set going. Doogz, Wiley and Dizzee ciphering, turns into a clash, Wiley gets HYPE, it's sick.
9; Chronik and Tempz (slew dem) slewing Ghetto and Demon.
Needs to be heard to be heard, simple as. Angriest, funniest set ever.

I'll finish there, there are dozens I want to write about tbh and I'm going the pub in a minute.

i would take a copy of all of those please thanks

NICEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE