Trance

echevarian

babylon sister
My first impression of hearing Rhythms was "This is a DJ tool?"

I'm perhaps not getting it.

And 23 is plenty old to start appreciating this techno business, wouldn't you say?

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
My first impression of hearing Rhythms was "This is a DJ tool?"

You're right, that's how they presented it.

I really do like the total stripped back nature of it though, no waste. They used to play extended jams on those tracks live and it just drove people nuts.

echevarian

babylon sister
I could imagine you could get some serious mileage out of those tracks if you knew how to handle them right, they give me the same feeling as some of Villalobos' stuff.

Its like "If I wasn't such a shit DJ, this beat could sound amazing".

noel emits

I think it's track C1 I really rate. Annoyed I still haven't got a copy of the garage version of The Key (Disciples Ov Gaia). Saw it for a quid once and completely inexplicably didn't buy it.

echevarian

babylon sister
I've got some of the stuff some of the members released on ISIS.

And a Dogon release, Return of the Space Echo.

Wasn't aware there was a garage version of the Key, we are talking like 2-steppy garage here?

Thats sounds way too good to actually exist.

echevarian

babylon sister
I'll try and track it down.

PWOG making 2-step would probably end up sounding like Toastyboy does nowadays.

Troy

31 Seconds
Maybe I'm showing my age here, but to me RAVE MUSIC (what you all call hardcore, I guess) was the best music of all time. Jungle/DnB make it's break from rave and just DOMINATED! Yeah, I love Jungle. But I'm not going to pretend today's version is carrying on the spirit of the original. Trance also evolved from rave, and when I say Trance I mean the BIG TUNES from around 99 like xpander, beautiful, Greece 2000, cafe del mar. All that stuff everybody slags. To me it was the last rave dog still running, making a break for it before it got shot . The speed, the melodies, the synths, the emotion, the cheese, but most of all the dont-look-back forward-into-the-future energy. Of course it's dead now too. Nothing today had the rave blood that died with trance. Minimal? Electro? Whatever it is that passes for techno these days. Give me a fucking break! Doesn't move me.

noel emits

Maybe I'm showing my age here, but to me RAVE MUSIC (what you all call hardcore, I guess) was the best music of all time. Jungle/DnB make it's break from rave and just DOMINATED! Yeah, I love Jungle. But I'm not going to pretend today's version is carrying on the spirit of the original. Trance also evolved from rave, and when I say Trance I mean the BIG TUNES from around 99 like xpander, beautiful, Greece 2000, cafe del mar. All that stuff everybody slags. To me it was the last rave dog still running, making a break for it before it got shot . The speed, the melodies, the synths, the emotion, the cheese, but most of all the dont-look-back forward-into-the-future energy. Of course it's dead now too. Nothing today had the rave blood that died with trance. Minimal? Electro? Whatever it is that passes for techno these days. Give me a fucking break! Doesn't move me.
So you're talking about the spirit of 'dont-look-back-forward-into-the-future' while pining for some remembered golden age? :slanted:

I don't see anyone claiming that modern 'minimal' or 'electro' have much to do with rave beyond being dance music that has come after 'rave', plus there are some far more obvious and plausible candidates for where the 'rave blood' has gone, and I don't mean the Jeremy Klarksons.

Also I don't think the link from rave music to trance is all that strong either, with trance owing more to synth-pop and German electronic music (T-Dream / Klaus Schultze) than to rave, which being in the UK I tend to think of as breakbeat music.

Last edited:

DJ PIMP

I don't see anyone claiming that modern 'minimal' or 'electro' have much to do with rave beyond being dance music that has come after 'rave', plus there are some far more obvious and plausible candidates for where the 'rave blood' has gone, and I don't mean the Jeremy Klarksons.
Contentious! Name names.

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
I don't think the link from rave music to trance is all that strong either.

Not globally, but in the UK I think it's there, especially in the north. I think Gatecrasher was the closest UK clubbing has come since the hardcore era to approximating hardcore's subcultural intensity. Trance is massive at free parties too, especially with the younger rigs.

noel emits

Not globally, but in the UK I think it's there, especially in the north. I think Gatecrasher was the closest UK clubbing has come since the hardcore era to approximating hardcore's subcultural intensity. Trance is massive at free parties too, especially with the younger rigs.

Of course it's there but I don't really get this perspective unless by rave you just mean how many pills people are boshing.

What Troy was saying was that the 'rave blood' died with trance, not that trance had no rave in it.

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
cosmic baby?

I haven't listened to any cosmic baby in years, but he was definitely a part of that scene, yes. That era of german artists had a kind of semi-detached relationship to megadog/crusty techno, and they used to get quite a lot of press in the NME/MM.

I saw Sun Electric supporting the Orb in 1993 and got Kitchen off the back of that - I still think it's the best techno album ever (apart from SAW1 maybe). Sun Electric and Alter Ego are both massively, massively underrated.

noel emits

This forum was practically founded on post rave music that is not 'minimal' or 'trance'.

Heck even Breakcore and Skweee have more rave genes than trance, Gabba Flamenco!

Of course you can contend that the 'rave blood' is not present in d****** and g**** but citing 'minimal' and 'electro' as conclusive evidence of it's demise is like saying that the blues died because you can't hear it in Stockhausen.

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
This forum was practically founded on post rave music that is not 'minimal' or 'trance'.

Heck even Breakcore and Skweee have more rave genes than trance, Gabba Flamenco!

Of course you can contend that the 'rave blood' is not present in d****** and g**** but citing 'minimal' and 'electro' as conclusive evidence of it's demise is like saying that the blues died because you can't hear it in Stockhausen.

Sorry mate, you've lost me. :confused:

When did I say minimal was proof rave had died?

noel emits

I haven't listened to any cosmic baby in years, but he was definitely a part of that scene, yes. That era of german artists had a kind of semi-detached relationship to megadog/crusty techno, and they used to get quite a lot of press in the NME/MM.

I saw Sun Electric supporting the Orb in 1993 and got Kitchen off the back of that - I still think it's the best techno album ever (apart from SAW1 maybe). Sun Electric and Alter Ego are both massively, massively underrated.

Sun Electric link back to NDW innit. And Cosmic Baby was basically Klaus Schultze with a 909.

The crusty / london acid techno was people into Crass / Terminal Cheesecake / Digidub trying to do acid house. And taking too many drugs. Club Dog did put on some class stuff though.

dHarry

wasn't cosmic baby a slightly arty techno take on ardcore pianos & beats iirc?

anyone else think that Orbital's brown (2nd) album was the blueprint for all that megadog stuff, and possibly another best techno album in the world, ever?