bandshell

Grand High Witch
The Wilshere hype is crazy. He's only 19. People are acting like he's the saviour of English football. He's a great player, with bags of potential, but the amount of building pressure on him is pretty damaging.

The press do seem to latch on to particular players. Gareth Barry, in the World Cup, is a good example of this. Everyone was screaming for Barry. Suddenly everyone was saying how essential Barry was to the English team.

Same with Joe Cole

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The Wilshere hype is crazy. He's only 19. People are acting like he's the saviour of English football. He's a great player, with bags of potential, but the amount of building pressure on him is pretty damaging.

The press do seem to latch on to particular players. Gareth Barry, in the World Cup, is a good example of this. Everyone was screaming for Barry. Suddenly everyone was saying how essential Barry was to the English team.

Same with Joe Cole

Same with Hargreaves in the 06 World Cup. etc etc etc. It's so stupid, because it undermines what Enlgand needs, which is a good team. The country has always had very good individuals.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Well he looked as cultured as Xavi and Iniesta which is no mean feat. Still, anyone can have a good game, it doesn't make a career. Football is about consistency really.

bandshell

Grand High Witch
Werd. They never seem to gel despite being great players.

The Denmark game was a step in the right direction. Looked a bit more like a team.

crackerjack

These aren't really comparable scenarios. The Cole*/Barry clamours were more a suggestion for improving the balance or cutting-edge of a failing side. Much as I rate Hargreaves (or did, belatedly, in 06, like most people) no one's ever called him a match-winner.

With Wilshere there's clearly the expectation that he will be a world-class player, the best we've had since Rooney.

*In Cole's case it was pretty obviously a few hacks doing the bidding of a few Chelsea players. Anyone who thought he was gonna sort that rabble out just cos he scored one great goal in the previous WC was certifiably insane.

nomos

Administrator
^^ there are some amazing youtubes of him. i think the fact that arsenal fans aren't complaining about their #1 for the first time in two years says a lot.

this pretty much sums me up yesterday...

arsenalgk2.gif

http://arsenalaction.com/2011/02/17...medium=rss&utm_campaign=the-wojciech-szczesny

Last edited:

bandshell

Grand High Witch
City game was great. Five goals, Balotelli knocked himself out and Viera got his head kicked open.

(I support City. I'm not a venomous hater lapping up injuries.)

tom lea

Phil Neville can kiss my arse
yup - millionare and still looks like his parents dress him. i'd love to see cole put one straight through heitinga's shin when we next play them.

definite quote of the weekend: "Largely anonymous up to that point, Balotelli was immediately replaced by Tevez - much to the clear frustration of the former Inter Milan youngster who threw his snood to the ground as he stomped down the tunnel." he'd fit right in at the bridge right now.

bandshell

Grand High Witch
definite quote of the weekend: "Largely anonymous up to that point, Balotelli was immediately replaced by Tevez - much to the clear frustration of the former Inter Milan youngster who threw his snood to the ground as he stomped down the tunnel." he'd fit right in at the bridge right now.

Balotelli's great. The angriest man in football.

He scored two goals in a Europa league fixture and didn't even celebrate. Just walked back into position. Loved that. That's what I like to see.

tom lea

yeah, he's brilliant. there's that great story about how he got pulled over by police, and they asked him why he had 4 grand in cash on his person (or some figure like that). he simply replied "because i am very rich." i hope it's true.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
*Voice of John Motson* He's one of the great characters of the Premiership, where would football be without characters, heh heh heh

bandshell

Grand High Witch
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...nderful-world-of-mario-balotelli-2219125.html

Though his family life became a settled one, the colour of his skin has been a more intractable problem. The racism he experienced as a player at Internazionale was overt – Juventus were ordered to play a match behind closed doors a few years ago, such was the racist abuse – but as a child it manifested itself in Balotelli feeling that he was invisible. "Two things were close to my heart, like all boys at a certain age: girls and getting attention," he reflected in one of the few interviews he granted in Italy. "But it was like I was transparent. I'm no Clooney but I couldn't explain it why I was ignored. My friends explained. They told me people didn't like blacks."