lilly allen says awesome thing on telly shock

martin

----
Ha! I just compared Steve Lamacq to a pedlar of vile fascist propaganda! If that's not an overreaction, I don't know what is.

There was one time on Dissensus that MMS slagged him off, 'tapping his DMS', and minutes after reading it, me and someone from work went to a nearby pub for lunch and we saw him in there - scribbling stuff down on his own, and tapping his DMs to Dexys on the jukebox.

I can't believe he's done an autobiography, what maniac commissioned that?

matt b

Indexing all opinion
**PS can we please start spelling jo wHiley's surname right? i don't want to get her confused with the godfather of grime if i can possibly help it.

surely it would be better if we just all agree never to mention her again on this forum- one of the mods can turn on the 'swear word censor' functionand add "jo" and "whiley", just to be on the safe side.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
and talking of parents/books- my dad gave me 'the people's music' by ian macdonald.

what a cunt he is.

macdonald, that is

gek-opel

entered apprentice
shouldn't he be picking on someone his own size? also someone who's yknow, less of an easy target. sounds a bit pathetic imo. although a link would clear up the matter if it's online..?

i think there are far worse individuals in modern pop music than lily allen and kate nash, people (mostly whining men) need to get over themselves.

**PS can we please start spelling jo wHiley's surname right? i don't want to get her confused with the godfather of grime if i can possibly help it.

True enough Dan but Kate Nash (who must be distinguished from La Allen as although I find Lilly's music to be pretty meh she does have an undeniably attractive singing voice. Whereas Nash either cannot sing or is choosing to sing in a ludicrously affected mess of acquired accents, whose purpose is not to play sophisticated games with identity but rather to triangulate her appeal in terms of the purely commercial imperatives of the marketplace...) she singles herself out as being a new flavour of irritating... I think we are numb to the solipsistic whining of bed linen soiling young indie boy-men, and have moaned sufficiently on such matters to exhaust every permutation of insulting epithet and derisive analysis. On them I feel everything has already been said.

Last edited:

STN

sou'wester
Thinking about this, my dad always gets me bleedin' biographies. Generally of fairly unattractive, cadaverous chaps. The old man has given me, over the years, biogs of:

Walter Sickert
Lord Haw Haw
Bob Marley
Miles Davis
Che Guevara
Andre Malraux
Wyndham Lewis
Steve Lamacq

The last three share a strangely sunken, pallid visage and Lewis and Lamacq have pretty much the same haircut, if memory serves. In terms of the magnitude of his deeds he's certainly the odd one out, what can Pater have been thinking?

In regard to Martin's comments on Lamacq Prophecy fulfillment. If MMS's dissing of him came true within the hour, does that mean he's currently spouting racist filth on Radio 1 in between records by Dweeb and Scarfo?

martin

----
If Mick Jones had grown up near Chernobyl and lived on a handful of kidney beans a day, he'd look like Lamacq

STN

sou'wester
lol, what do Dweeb sound like?

I have to hear a band called "Dweeb".

They sound exactly like all of those bands. 'Punchy' guitars, boring drums, inaudible bass, stupid lyrics. Rubbish.

Actually, they sound a bit like Steve Lamacq looks.

mms

sometimes
In regard to Martin's comments on Lamacq Prophecy fulfillment. If MMS's dissing of him came true within the hour, does that mean he's currently spouting racist filth on Radio 1 in between records by Dweeb and Scarfo?

Only i can control lamaqs destiny

STN

sou'wester
Well, you've done an abysmal job so far, given that he has yet to fall down a deep hole and remain there for all eternity with nothing but a load of Younger Younger 28s singles for company.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
shouldn't he be picking on someone his own size? also someone who's yknow, less of an easy target. sounds a bit pathetic imo. although a link would clear up the matter if it's online..?
Agree.

Also, I don't actually mind Steve Lamacq. I mean, he gets massively overexcited about quite dull music but he is at least a DJ who gives a shit and actively goes out looking for new music, turning up early because the band playing third support at the Barfly on a monday night might actually be quite good[1], rather than just picking up Q Magazine and checking out the albums they give four stars while on the phone to your agent about getting a talking head spot on I Love June 1987. Cf Colin Murray and JW, for instance.

Also, didn't taking the piss out of people for being ugly get old some time towards the end of primary school?

[1] I mean good from a Steve Lamacq point of view, not a Dissensus point of view.

mos dan

fact music
lol, what do Dweeb sound like?

I have to hear a band called "Dweeb".

i have their only album on cd. i am probably in a minority of about ten people in the uk who can say that.

and they were great, leave em alone. they were like bis only not scottish. hairslides, drugs, casio keyboards, buzzsaw guitars, a bit of androgyny.. there are worse musical movements one can grow up with than c96...

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/keith.dumble/hopper/dweebint.html
http://www.last.fm/music/Dweeb

i agree about steve lamacq. at least he clearly gives a shit about supporting new music, even if it's not to my taste anymore.

STN

sou'wester
I remember them sounding more like Three Colours Red. Obviously I'm thinking of some other band...

They reformed and toured about two years ago...

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
Thought the show was very poor, like an indie X Factor - pointless and probably all scripted, go a wet your bed somewhere else :)

Allen is kinda OK, but you just know there's not much to back up her "this is rubbish" comments, at least her Dad had that. In short, Shite.

tom pr

It's free Dan, get off your arse and find a copy. ;)

I found it very funny, but I'm fond of K-Punk picking on crap pop singers. He did a similar piece about Sandi Thom a few issues back that was in a similar vein...