lilly allen says awesome thing on telly shock

martin

----
Have you ever read Bruno Brookes' biography? It's utter filth, 80% recollections of cocaine sex binges with schoolgirls, housewives and wine bar yuppie women. Plus stuff about how he used to wank into Gary Davies' lasagne in the canteen and how he tried to sabotage Mark Goodier's car. He also reckons he played the swearword version of that Rage Against the Machine song on air deliberately, and that he called the BBC controller a 'poof' afterwards.

STN

sou'wester
No, I've not but I'm sure I'll get a copy for Christmas soon enough.

It sounds an awful lot like Klaus Kinski's autobiography though.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Have you ever read Bruno Brookes' biography? It's utter filth, 80% recollections of cocaine sex binges with schoolgirls, housewives and wine bar yuppie women. Plus stuff about how he used to wank into Gary Davies' lasagne in the canteen and how he tried to sabotage Mark Goodier's car. He also reckons he played the swearword version of that Rage Against the Machine song on air deliberately, and that he called the BBC controller a 'poof' afterwards.

And to think this man took it upon himself to warn us all about the perils of Cake.

*shakes head sadly*

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
slothshrop - so you respect lamaq for going out and making the effort to check out incredibly bad music, funny that as i'd respect the same man for staying at home.
The thing is, I'd rather have a media (specifically a BBC) where I can ignore Steve Lurpack and get excited about the stuff Mary Ann Hobbes or Bailey or Ras Kwame are playing and indie kids can get excited about the stuff that Steve Lurpack's playing (horrible thought though that is, takes all sorts etc) and ignore MAH or Bailey than one where we all get bored shitless by lowest common denominator 'personality'-driven mush like Colin Murray and Jo Whiley all the time for ever.

mos dan

fact music
steve lamacq is responsible for unearthing and promoting some really good music for the first time as well you know. it wasn't all northern uproar, jesus you lot are so dogmatic.

i really have a shocking memory and can't back up my argument properly, but i'm sure he played records by people like arab strap and liars first, in what was a relatively early slot on NATIONAL RADIO (it's not even like he was in the breezeblock-esque 1-3am slot ffs). i'm not making excuses for all the dross the evening session used to play, but yknow, he played 'the first big weekend' first as i recall. which as a 14 year old i was astonishingly grateful for - nabbed one of the few vinyl copies from rough trade.

one other thing i remember is him playing a FULL LENGTH, uninterrupted session version of mogwai's 'my father my king' (20 minute long instrumental version of a jewish hymn, i'm sure you know). is that not pretty effing daring in the context?

so please at least tone down your vitriol.

STN

sou'wester
In fairness he did that UK Hip Hop session thing at Maida Vale studios some years back with enthusiasm and aplomb so mos dan is right, it wasn't all Kingmaker.

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
Another nice thread derail, STN.

Thinking about this, my dad always gets me bleedin' biographies. Generally of fairly unattractive, cadaverous chaps. The old man has given me, over the years, biogs of:

Walter Sickert
You might want to give that one a go. They've recently fingered him for being Jack the Ripper, you know.

There's a picture of Lush in my Lamacq almanac as it happens.
"Lamacq Almanac" made me spit out my coffee laughing. We should consider refering to crap books as "Lamacq Almanacs" from now on.

STN

sou'wester
The Ripper thing is widely held to be cobblers, by the way. I think he (Walter Sickert, I mean) has been proved to have been in France at the time of (at least) one of the murders.

Edit: I know this cos the Sickert one is the only one I've actually read.

Last edited:

mos dan

fact music
The Ripper thing is widely held to be cobblers, by the way. I think he (Walter Sickert, I mean) has been proved to have been in France at the time of (at least) one of the murders.

Edit: I know this cos the Sickert one is the only one I've actually read.

didn't that american novelist whassername spend $1m pursuing the idea that it was sickert? i remember seeing her docu on itv about it years ago. weird that jack the ripper's come up in two music threads in the space of as many days.. (also burial thread)

STN

sou'wester
Patricia Cornwell. She'd decided it was him before looking for evidence, I think. When people get really into this 'ooh, it was Walter Sickert/Queen Victoria/Henry James' I just want to smack their chops and scream 'there were other people around at that time, people you haven't heard of!'

mos dan

fact music
Patricia Cornwell. She'd decided it was him before looking for evidence, I think. When people get really into this 'ooh, it was Walter Sickert/Queen Victoria/Henry James' I just want to smack their chops and scream 'there were other people around at that time, people you haven't heard of!'

one docu i saw years ago was saying it was a liverpool builder called james maybrick, and one of their many bits of flimsy 'evidence' was that his name is JAmes maybriCK.. i.e. 'JACK'

lol