lilly allen says awesome thing on telly shock

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Agree.

Also, I don't actually mind Steve Lamacq. I mean, he gets massively overexcited about quite dull music but he is at least a DJ who gives a shit and actively goes out looking for new music, turning up early because the band playing third support at the Barfly on a monday night might actually be quite good[1], rather than just picking up Q Magazine and checking out the albums they give four stars while on the phone to your agent about getting a talking head spot on I Love June 1987. Cf Colin Murray and JW, for instance.

Also, didn't taking the piss out of people for being ugly get old some time towards the end of primary school?

[1] I mean good from a Steve Lamacq point of view, not a Dissensus point of view.

He's worse than a Moyles/Steve wright etc-like figure who couldn't give a flying fuck about what music they're playing. He cares, yes, and plays desperately poor, imagination deficient stuff as a result WELL DONE SIR, have a slap on the back next time yr in some dire sump-end Camden boozer. Lamacq is such an icon of an emaciated myopic worldview of music which is now of course entirely hegemonic... His visual manifestation is worthy of comment as it dovetails so nicely into his character and taste, he's like a Dickensian character almost... Is he actually on the radio at all anymore? Maybe shuffled off to digital radio by now...?

gek-opel

entered apprentice
He's not a cunt, I have no idea what he is like personally, but I don't respect what he does at all. Its not reducible merely to a sense of taste, he is essentially a conservative figure. I don't see why I should respect the man because he goes to all that effort, the only result of which is a pile of tiresome old dreck. He's more of a sad figure than anything else really...

crackerjack

He's not a cunt, I have no idea what he is like personally, but I don't respect what he does at all. Its not reducible merely to a sense of taste, he is essentially a conservative figure. I don't see why I should respect the man because he goes to all that effort, the only result of which is a pile of tiresome old dreck. He's more of a sad figure than anything else really...

But just imagine how tiresome the world would be if every DJ suddenly jumped on your notion of radical innovative music. You'd have nothing to react against and would be pining for SL's fey retro whimsy before you can say bring back the Lemonheads.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
But just imagine how tiresome the world would be if every DJ suddenly jumped on your notion of radical innovative music. You'd have nothing to react against and would be pining for SL's fey retro whimsy before you can say bring back the Lemonheads.

This is true only inasmuch as desire for what you term "radical innovative music" is motivated by the essentially consumerist impulse towards identification, and the drawing of identities from products (in this case music) consumed. Although I am probably guilty of this to some extent, I aim to take no identity from the music I consume, or at least, as little as possible, and in as far as that is possible a world of total revolution would be desirable... Of course schmindie isn't the ONLY regressive or essentially conservative musical form out there, most of them (including those which are avowedly "avant") are guilty of a staid repetition of previous glories. But bed-soiling indie is one of the most egregious of all offenders as it has almost zero plus points, especially of the ilk pimped by Lamacq.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
(Papa STN also gave me a 900 page Che Guevara one so Lamacq is the odd one out in terms of gravitas I s'pose) but have been too lily-livered to tackle any whatsoever. You're welcome to borrow the Joyce one as I'm unlikely to get round to it any time soon.

Some sort of Martin vs Paul STN double act would be hugely entertaining...

gek-opel

entered apprentice
He's the git who introduced "zoo radio" as a format into this country.

Also weren't some of his 80s "comedy" characters blatantly racist and homophobic...?

bassnation

the abyss
He's the git who introduced "zoo radio" as a format into this country.

Also weren't some of his 80s "comedy" characters blatantly racist and homophobic...?

tedious maybe, but not racist or homophobic iirc. the only thing that sticks in my mind is "mr angry" which was basically just steve ranting about stuff. there are worse broadcasters out there on tv and radio right now imo.

mms

sometimes
Well, you've done an abysmal job so far, given that he has yet to fall down a deep hole and remain there for all eternity with nothing but a load of Younger Younger 28s singles for company.

i am using lamaq as a tool, he is performing a paradoxical task under my control, as this thread shows, his job is to show how bad things can get. cool:;)

slothshrop - so you respect lamaq for going out and making the effort to check out incredibly bad music, funny that as i'd respect the same man for staying at home.

crackerjack

tedious maybe, but not racist or homophobic iirc. the only thing that sticks in my mind is "mr angry" which was basically just steve ranting about stuff. there are worse broadcasters out there on tv and radio right now imo.

You've forgotten Camp Dave.

bassnation

the abyss
i am using lamaq as a tool, he is performing a paradoxical task under my control, as this thread shows, his job is to show how bad things can get. cool:;)

slothshrop - so you respect lamaq for going out and making the effort to check out incredibly bad music, funny that as i'd respect the same man for staying at home.

i just love the idea of someone endlessly toiling to bring awful music to the masses in a way that suggests its obviously a labour of love. surely this is zen in its purest form. anyone agree that he needs a knighthood?

Last edited:

martin

----
Slight derail - I once heard a story that the reason Justine from Elastica chucked Damon was that they were in a curryhouse and Mark E Smith walked in. Apparently Justine was a massive Fall fan, and Damon was talking really loudly and being flippant, and she was mortified in case Smith spotted them. I don't know whether it's true or not, but it sort of makes sense.

martin

----
There's a picture of Lush in my Lamacq almanac as it happens.

I think this tome should oust Don Letts' pathetic effort as the Stoke Newington Book Of Wisdom. Lush were just a grunge Cranberries, weren't they? Apparently the singer was really into Crass.

STN

sou'wester
I'd quite like Swells's novel to be the Stoke Newington Book of Wisdom, but feel that it would compel us to go to the Wetherspoons all the time for fear of being rotten snobs who spend all our time stabbing foxes and listening to Burzum.