Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
i'm excited about the idea of it, i feel the buzz from a London community doing something different/opposed to grime and i love seeing the UKG patterns all over again, but 50% of the time once the DJs played Do You Mind, Apple and Yellowtail, it goes into any straight 4/4 house.

I know what you mean: any time I tune into Rinse FM now it feels like all I'm hearing is generic house music that really doesn't have anything to do with funky, or anything else Rinse FM have ever put on their station.

That's why Deja is you. Forget Rinse FM. Of course, I can't speak for what actually gets played in the clubs because I'm unable to go to them. Geographically, I mean. :)

Forget Rinse FM

Fell off on a spectacular scale, actually. Bar Spyro, Blackdown & Dusk, Vectra & Scratcha, seems pointless to me.
React FM for dubstep; 99.4, Deja & myspace mixtapes for funky; err... nowhere for grime really.

edit; and Smallz & Silencer as well.

Elijah

Butterz
lol jus clocked what u looked like blackdown, next time i see u out im gonna say hi.

anyway. everyone trying hard 2 be really different is funny right now in funky, and they lose the crowd sometimes so they have to go into bait tunes. Only people that have nailed it 4 me in the balance between tried and tested and new music are geeneus (at tubby bday and fwd vs rinse) and marcus nasty (ive seen him about 10 times since december). the rest just seem obsessed with these awful singers or apple influnced crap.

the rest of the normal "urban house" djs who been doing it 4 a while just play their normal defected type stuff alongside the good uk which isnt as exicting to me.

Circles set the other week at forward was alright but would never work in a "proper' funky rave.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Yeah, I do find a lot of rinse's funky djs quite dull - good vibe clive (great name!), taffa etc.

I think the "generic" funky that I really like is that really hard samba stuff - all drums and snatches of vocal. Boom BAP BAP b-boom b-BAP BAP boom... Drums not bass, very us garage. I haven't quite figured out how to write it but I haven't tried that hard.

I like it when funky djs mix in straight up uk house cos it kinda changes it, recontextualises it, when it,s in a funky / urban setting.

S

simon silverdollar

Fell off on a spectacular scale, actually. Bar Spyro, Blackdown & Dusk, Vectra & Scratcha, seems pointless to me.
React FM for dubstep; 99.4, Deja & myspace mixtapes for funky; err... nowhere for grime really.

edit; and Smallz & Silencer as well.

the other friday night i was listening to rinse and they played Henrik Schwarz. i mean, what the fuck.

elgato

I just dont know
Circle of all djs though have been explict in their conservatism, there was no way their sets were ever going to be anything different to that

Deja Vu is definitely the one, Marcus Nasty and Mak 10 taking it in a different direction

Footloose also i think is very very good, he plays a fair amount of US / european stuff too but i like most of it, and he also plays a lot of new UK stuff

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
So most funky is very different from, and most isn't as good as, 4x4 UKG.

And it seems to be begging for a bit more of a sneak / cajmere influence?

mos dan

fact music
i've been calling 'emperor's new clothes' on this music for a while now, for me it's a scene with promise that's produced some intriguing new ideas and memes, but is still overly dominated by watery mainstream dross.

it's all about mixing up the few edgier, more rhythmically dynamic funky bits in with global shanty house sounds and old grime and wonky dubstep, like bok bok and blackdown have been doing in their sets for a while now.

elgato

I just dont know
i've been calling 'emperor's new clothes' on this music for a while now, for me it's a scene with promise that's produced some intriguing new ideas and memes, but is still overly dominated by watery mainstream dross.

it's all about mixing up the few edgier, more rhythmically dynamic funky bits in with global shanty house sounds and old grime and wonky dubstep, like bok bok and blackdown have been doing in their sets for a while now.

i disagree, i think that that context has a role to play but alone would lead it away from what has made parts of the music exciting thus far – i would argue that the context in which it currently sits is key to its continued vitality

its to a great degree because producers have gone to raves which play us house or whatever else either with newer weirder UK tracks, or against the collective or individual memory of grime or whatever else that you have these individual and exciting tracks coming through. and really that process of deviation is only just beginning.

otherwise where does it go? would it not just become part of a 'fusion', another spice added to a mix rather than music born of a hardcore club scene (no slights to either djs mentioned by any means). but most importantly it would completely divorce it from the non-masculine, non-techy and playful context which created the exciting tension in the outer reaches of the music in the first place

finally, personally, i enjoy house a lot across the spectrum, and don't want it to be divorced from that context! i like hearing it amongst darker or other stuff, but i think i prefer it as an expansion on house than an addition to an amalgam

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Me and Dusk have talked about funky - it's only really a little bit of tempo that separates us - and what we reckon will happen is as the youngers jump into funky there will be an inevitable speed war.

We're just going to sit tight at 138bpm and wait for them to catch up and keep mixing it in as and when, while the rest of wobble dubstep uses 145bpm to chase the student ex-new school d&b dollar.

straight

wings cru

sounds a bit blog house, that ;)

But in all seriousness, i called emporers new clothes at many times over the last year as people waited for a new interesting music to happen as prophesised in all of the pieces comparing this to the mythical jump from d+b to 2 step of '98 or whatever but i spent friday night driving about with my girlfriend and the music on (presumably deja) the radio was genuinely exciting, though i guess this is the edgier side you are talking about.

Last edited:

Elijah

Butterz
Straight 4x4 house that could have essentially come out at any point in the last 10 years, minus the occasional offbeat snare...

yea, they even played whos afraid of detroit by claude von stroke werent expecting that from them.

Suppose they did play Sirens and that got a massive reaction from a Dubstep crowd which is nuts 2 me lol. How am I remembering all this stuff lol