nomos

Administrator
i agree that it's not totally there (how could it be when there are only about a dozen releases so far?) but i do think the potential is starting to fulfill itself without anything being too formalized yet. lots of loose ends to be picked up and that's always more exciting to me. at the same time, i don't care about trying to convincing anyone. i'm enjoying seeing where it goes and the longer this scene can do its own thing without the pressure that was heaped on grime the better. the fact that the name puts so many people off is probably an inadvertent stroke of genius.

Last edited:

mos dan

fact music
i agree that it's not totally there (how could it be when there are only about a dozen releases so far?) but i do think the potential is starting to fulfill itself without anything being too formalized yet. lots of loose ends to be picked up and that's always more exciting to me. at the same time, i don't care about trying to convincing anyone. i'm enjoying seeing where it goes and the longer this scene can do its own thing without the pressure that was heaped on grime the better. the fact that the name puts so many people off is probably an inadvertent stroke of genius.

yeah i'm more than happy to wait. i just don't think it helps if people put the, ahem, hype cart before the musical horse (not directing this at anyone, just saying).

mos dan

fact music
can someone explain this whole thing to me please?! its all very amusing

do you mean ilx vs dissensus? yeah i could do with having this explained. i have a journo mate who's been on ilx forever and fears/dislikes dissensus in a totally inexplicable way.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
a lot of people were on ILX (inc me) before Dissensus was formed. This place then kinda sucked a lot of the dubstep/grime/ukg energy out of that place.

I still read ILX it but it's full of people trying to win smart-alec oneliner competitions rather than actually adding to the debate about any given musical topic. which gets boring fairly quickly...

Elijah

Butterz
is he gonna be on really early again? could do with more than 10 heads on the floor this time

he was on at 12.30 i think last time, thats not even early, especially when people duck out at like 2.30 after mcs have spat.

last time the elementary funky tunes went down well.

echevarian

babylon sister
Blackdown said "a lot of people were on ILX (inc me) before Dissensus was formed. This place then kinda sucked a lot of the dubstep/grime/ukg energy out of that place."

The other thing I've heard mentioned is the idea that Dissensus has this air of sneering condescension towards anything that isn't grime/dubstep/UK hardcore continuum.

For people who actually enjoy, say house, that impression can be a little offputting.

I mostly think its just a difference in personality between the boards.

Edit: I'd also like to add that I don't share this view, and didn't intend offense.

I've found a lot of the criticism of funky very frustrating, particularly since I have enjoyed both grime and house in the past, simultaneously.

Respect is due for all the education I've received on this board over the years.

Last edited:

straight

wings cru
he was on at 12.30 i think last time, thats not even early, especially when people duck out at like 2.30 after mcs have spat.

last time the elementary funky tunes went down well.

was my birthday and the whole night was a bit of a blur, ive had to piece it together

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I love funky sets so much right now. I just need to buy some of the records...

But Dan, it's music for girls, you wouldn't understand...

:D

mos dan

fact music
I love funky sets so much right now. I just need to buy some of the records...

But Dan, it's music for girls, you wouldn't understand...

i listened to a lot of that set, it was great! this be the funky i like. funky made and/or played by grime people ;)

datura

white collar loafer
i listened to a lot of that set, it was great! this be the funky i like. funky made and/or played by grime people ;)

My historical distaste towards house (monotonous etc borne by the music I heard in cheesy meatmarkets back home on and on the radio) has changed quite a lot. I love the rhythms in a lot of these tunes and the energy and grimy influence.

Been picking up a few 12s but proving to be pretty sparse and expensive (although most have at least 2 great tunes on, which a lot of music released under other genres can't boast).

doom

Public Housing
This just in my inbox,

the mp3 store on ukfunky.com is up, with 10 tunes by Mini Kingz, DJ Tremendous, N.B Funky, Kush & DJ Mystery up now, more coming over the next week I'm told :cool:

http://ukfunky.com/

nomos

Administrator
nice, thanks doom

invasion records (tadow, producer mario, courtney denny) have an mp3 shop too. it wasn't totally working when i tried it but they were helpful about it. they've added new tracks so it might be sorted out now.

Last edited:

doom

Public Housing
yh, I'm waitin for an email back from em... I was gonna say in that post... 2 of the 4 were 160s (& one has a massive skip) :slanted: & 1 I still can't D/L, gettin some error like I've already D/L'd it... I'm glad people are gettin onit tho, I have a mate in London who can get into uptown for me... but, the price of postage is pretty much half a dozen tunes! much rather it all went on music!

nomos

Administrator
the one i got so far from invasion was 256. but really for £1.50 or £2 they should be 320 or wav like at juno or beatport. seems like it would be easier for a label just to sign up with one of those two. easier than running your own dodgy download system and the more tracks there are in one place from different labels, the more people you're likely to have buying your stuff.

but yeah, very good that they're getting into downloads. would be cool if labels with some of the bigger tunes like spoilt rotten would get on it.

Last edited: