Tim F

The big difference between funky and grime circa 2002 is that at the same time as making instrumentals for MCs producers are also making full-fledged songs (and often it's the same producers! Screama, Champion, Naughty, Ill Blu etc.)

I don't know if there were any big 2-step vocal anthems in 2002, though someone may be able to correct me. "Gotta Get Through This" doesn't count as it had been big on the scene since the beginning of 2001 at least. Everything else I can remember were commissioned remixes of major label acts e.g. Misteeq.

The full-bore 2 hour MC (and by extension MC-track) only funky radio set is actually a bit of a rarity in funky, the formula usually being something more like 2 loopy instrumentals for every 1 full-fledged song, if you amortise them across an entire set.

What funky doesn't make is epic slowbuild instrumentals that weave in lots of disparate elements gradually over course of the song (as opposed to Night Slugs as per martin's initial comparison, but also as opposed to a lot of the more accomplished jungle/drum & bass) (also this itself is a distortive generalisation: tunes like "Time To Get Nasty" or "Inflation" or "Windrush Riddim" or "Fuller" might make the grade. At any rate I think martin's point was that from his perspective funky doesn't do this enough).

But it's not merely grime that avoided or avoids this: that habit is also missing from dancehall, from mainstream rap, from mainstream R&B - almost any populist vocal-heavy "dance music" (in the broad sense of the term). Even more radically: reggaeton, soca, kuduro, juke.

On the slow-build epic side you've got: some (not contemporary) jungle, some dubstep, techno, non-populist-house, broken beat.

(these are non-exhaustive lists but I expect the dynamic I'm describing will apply to anything else you care to mention)

The defining disparity is the medium: not surprisingly everything in the second group tended or tends to be vinyl fetishist (that's not a criticism btw).

Whereas everything in the first column tends to be experienced by way of radio or the club or (if applicable) video clips. There's an in-built expectation that the listener's engagement with a track is likely to be more transient, is not going to involve them listening and appraising the tune in isolation as a discrete artifact. There's also an expectation that the listener's attention is going to be diverted by whatever vocals are present, such that the arrangement is likely to be only part of the story.

So it's not surprising that the arrangements favour impact over internal development, that effectively a funky tune might have only 8 bars worth of musical variety (but those 8 bars are killer).

To my mind this simply aligns it more closely with a whole bunch of genres (but, as I've said with annoying repetition in this thread, dancehall in particular) that take this approach. It's not some trend which is unique to funky by any means - though of course almost by definition its specific manifestation is.

Tim F

Before someone is tempted to strawman my argument, I'm not saying the "vinyl fetishist" stuff is not experienced by means of club (or even radio), just that it has this other important mode of reception.

Benny Bunter

MN is playing loads of stuff by Sunday Roast and Jook 10 - producers who I always thought were quite second rate from listening to clips on UKfunky.com and Juno but the stuff getting played tonight sounds really good. God I fucking hate trying to work out whether a tune is any good or not from these crappy clips from online shops, most of the time you literally cannot tell :mad:

denoir

What are the good funky nights in London at the moment?

I'd like to know that too. Is there any way to hear pure funky live other than attending a no hats, hoods & sneakers night or listening to a radio show?

Everytime I visit LDN (which is 1-2 times/year) I look for interesting music nights but I've been struggling to find a funky one that is not posh/restricting...I only caught Beyond in March 09...which is not around anymore as far as I know

Ory

warp drive
from the comments

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

luka

if bar is the biggest venue for funky from what i hear. ive mentioned a few nights on this thread in stratford and ilford with marcus nasty and petchy and so on and everyone ignores me and goes to watch mosca in shoreditch just like every other weekend. you had to wear shoes in the garage days and you have to wear shoes now. its not the end of the world is it really. wear your old school shoes.

Last edited:

BareBones

wheezy
MN is playing loads of stuff by Sunday Roast and Jook 10 - producers who I always thought were quite second rate from listening to clips on UKfunky.com and Juno but the stuff getting played tonight sounds really good. God I fucking hate trying to work out whether a tune is any good or not from these crappy clips from online shops, most of the time you literally cannot tell :mad:

some of his/their (?) stuff is a bit wishy-washy but Sunday Roast does/do have some proper good tunes, check "la Kettele" on ukfunky.com, that's my favourite. there's another really good one but i can't remember what it's called. I've always been a bit underwhelmed by jook 10 though yeah... but willing to be corrected of course

denoir

from the comments

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

what a subtle marketing ;)

Tim F

Surprised by how many of the House Girls versions I actually recognise!

Excited for this. The highlights (apart from the obv: 1, 6, Gotta Have It) appear to be 3, 9 and 10.

Still doesn't have that nervous one with the organ stabs that they refer to as "House Girls Dubplate Mix" that Petchy always plays... but even with that it's awesome news that they're putting out all these tunes!

@ tim you make an interesting point re ‘weaving disparate elements gradually’ / impact. this – along with the obvious ‘tunes as mc riddims, essentially’ (i mean, you were the one that said that, right?) extends the feeling i alluded to re funky > grime 2. the ‘slowbuild’ as you say, or - as often - the continuing evolution of the riddim over more than just 8 bars, is one of the features that i find most appealing about the circle/germandeephousefrom2008 (lol) sound. locking into the groove is key here, rather than purely the ‘thrill of the riff’ (even if the riff can include or indeed be the drums/bass etc).
“the defining disparity is the medium” certainly doesn’t apply here though, not really sure where you were going with that, but feel no need to further pursue it.
i appreciate both form and function however, but believe that you, like benny previously, have misunderstood me when bringing up the “discrete artefact” chestnut again. having said that – and again i’m pretty confident that i’m paraphrasing your remarks here – the (whichever) dj mix/podcast etc could be considered the artefact now, i’d agree.
The big difference between funky and grime circa 2002 is that at the same time as making instrumentals for MCs producers are also making full-fledged songs
another good point - currently loving the play my game remix on naughty's 1xtra mix. by way of concluding the discussion, i'd suggest its also a given that the actual standard of production (admittedly never early grime's strong point, whilst simultaneously being part of its appeal) is also, in the main, superior.

you had to wear shoes in the garage days and you have to wear shoes now. its not the end of the world is it really. wear your old school shoes.
haha, brilliant! true as well, i don't really know why anyone would want to go to a funky rave in the sneakers & hoody. fix up, you scruffy gits ;)

Benny Bunter

Seems like the entire house girls album is out on itunes already, must have came out today.

edit: The 'Never coming out' ep is on there too! lol...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.

Wow, this is a lot - I occasionally listen to random funky mixes on youtube and get my head blown off. Tried searching for some of my favourite tracks on the mix in this thread to get some context, but there's no way of searching for posts anymore, unless I'm missing it?

Riskgo Ft. Letisha - Funky Love is amazing - has the producer done anything else?