Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
No Warrior? :slanted:

Yeah, this release will be decent, but Warrior really does need to come out at some point. I hate being the guy moaning about release details though. John Wayne is the one on that tracklist that I'm not sure if I've heard yet, hopefully will be a nice surprise.
Need to give that Champion mix a spin sometime.

denoir

Greenmoney recs have announced a forthcoming ep by Hard House Banton
tracklist:
1) Prep For War
2) Miss You
3) In The House

I saw him dj last month; after 20-30 minutes of funky (mostly his own tunes, old &new) he went into straightforward house, something you'd hear Petchy play these days...pretty good set though, sound fella aswell...shame the place was empty :slanted:

Benny Bunter

Judging by the last Marcus show Jook10 has made a wobble-funky tune. How do the UKF Border Guards feel about that then eh?

Thats old news man, do keep up! :p

The soulserious lot have been making these types of tunes for ages, and they're not exactly known for their consistency and quality control. Something like 'Hazard' is OK when dropped in a Marcus set with MCs as long as its not surrounded by similar tunes for an hour imo.

alex

Do not read this.
lol init, there is loads of wobble funky, and not the good type of wobble

edit* and what benny said, as long as the whole set isn't like it, i'm feeling

Benny Bunter

Look at Champion's 'Lose control'. Thats a badman tune and its as wobbly as. I prefer to judge tunes that use wobble on their individual merits, or how they might fit into a set. Being a 'UK Funky border guard' doesn't come into it.

Tim F

I hardly think the UKF border guards will be crying into their jagerbombs over anything Jook10 does really.

zhao

there are no accidents
on the wobble funky tip, i actually quite uncharacteristically played this tune out recently:

buckfunk 3000 and si begg - high volume (vip mix)

remember it from the old breaks days? this is a sort of funky remix. lol don't know what got into me really... nostagia probably.

track 3 on this page:

Blackdown

nexKeysound
I hardly think the UKF border guards will be crying into their jagerbombs over anything Jook10 does really.

I could list you 10 key dubstep artists I would have said the same thing about 5 years ago haha ... Actually it's not funny I'm crying inside..

lol are you implying that in 5 yearsUK Funky might be reduced to wobble tear-out tunes? cause if that's it I'm pretty sure it won't...

Tim F

Martin I meant it's hard to be upset when you don't really expect standards-maintenance in the first place. It's not like Jook10 is reliable.

Tim F

There has been a trend for big, dumb (I mean that descriptively not judgmentally) bassline-driven tunes over the past few months actually.

But funky will not follow the same trajectory as dubstep if only because the scene qua scene will never cross over in that way.

Look at any online forum talking about UKF other than dissensus and ILX (and online forums are the least-worst proxy I think for dubstep's gradual dissemination outside of London/Bristol) and it appears the definition of "uk funky" is Blawan, Bok Bok etc. then Greenmoney, Roska and anyone who's had a single on Hyperdub.

People aren't talking about Marcus Nasty sets the way they were talking about N-Type sets.

And if a para-scene did coalesce that didn't really involve the current London scene, I can't imagine why the artists would want to be tagged "funky" really. It would diminish their appeal among the discerning middle-classes they need to target before they could eventually move onto the US rank'n'file.