2008 tips/predictions/hopes

gremino

Moster Sirphine
Hi,

this is my first post. I'v been lurking here for a quite long time...

- more bedroom producers emerging from uk funky house and increase of broken beat end of sounds. I Hope (or predict!) all this generic house sounds slowly slips away and this raw uk house sound takes the place.
- more 4x4, housey and uptempo dubstep. More emphasizing to the drums
- hard4 evolving and growing
- niche getting experimental production (okay maybe not in 08, but maybe further in the future?)
- grime evolving in its own way, none of this hiphop stuff. More grime-instrumental vinyls getting released.

- hardcore breaks developing more unique sound, not just doing the same oldskool.
- Naphta's Space2pace-project getting more interest from producers!!

- and one big hope: more people in Finland giving interest to these styles!!

Mr Jeg

suck your thumb
I wish Big Dadda had done an album with Trim - Wiley sounds so grimey whilst Trim’s wordplay could easily appeal to the nerdy white backpacker MF Doom hip-hop fans who dabble with Big Dadda/Ninja Tune/UKHH.

this is exactly, to the letter, what i've been saying! trim and durrty goodz are the two grime emcees who i think could really appeal to a wider, hip-hop rooted audience if given half a chance and decent promotion. unless jammer makes 13 different versions of murkle man, i don't see him doing the same. SOMEONE SIGN TRIM FFS :mad::mad::mad:

straight

wings cru
garage has already undoubtedly enteres the indei disco, its a matter of time. Ugh think of it, its what all the little indie girl wannabe starlets hammering moschino etc

After checking that vid on xlr8r the switch/ diplo dancehall record. elephant man over seals 'killer'

straight

wings cru
yeah, they've had a garage room at chalk for about a year i think and i know a lot fashion types up here following suit. their crowds a bit sillier than fwd's (understatement)

Edit has fwd got as crap crowd wise as i keep hearing? my girlys lived in shoreditch for 6 months but ive never been down, got put off by the supossed white dreadlock crew.

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
Indie kids are gonna find garage a bit too... I dunno, "commercial" is the wrong word, but flashy, bouncy, 4 to the floor, it's not "cool" by their standards is it? I remember the serious geetar set at school hating crossover stuff like Armand Van Helden and 187 Lockdown, too... what's the word? DISCO. Whereas something like electro had that sullen, new wave element they could dig.

straight

wings cru
its the more flamoyant types not the traditional embrace fan types. i think its irony over anything else and a lot of london kids inheriting their brothers decks and tunes when the music room became the nursery

(idle) hopes

ruff sqwad instrumental cd
newham generals - welcome to newham
newham generals - generally speaking
jammer - top producer
Lewi White & Ghetto - Freedom of speech
Jammer - Are you dumb vol 3
Wiley - Tunnel Vision vol 7
Wiley - Umbrella vol 1
wiley - 10 pound an hour
crossfire vol 1
dj cheeky - try and stop me
dj maximum - max power
Roll Deep album
Flowdan - Return of the big mic man
Durrty Goodz - born blessed
Riko - The truth
slix down 2
trim soulfood 3
Trim album
chronik - still blazin
chronik - here in da spirit
chronik - still here in da spirit
rotten diary's vol 2
slew dem mixcd

but i doubt any of them will come out befor the end of 2008

hahaha

i havent even heard some of the mc's announce any of them either (chronik - still here in da spirit?)

if that lot got released in 2008 it would be incredible

someone needs to start a regular grime event - i know its been said plenty of times, and dirty canvas is great etc... but a regular slot, a monthly residency at a club in london featuring some of the top dj's and best mc's would really really really help the scene

swears

preppy-kei
its the more flamoyant types not the traditional embrace fan types. i think its irony over anything else and a lot of london kids inheriting their brothers decks and tunes when the music room became the nursery

yeah i know what you mean, but even so...

I play at a mainly indie/electro night in Bournemouth and we dropped some old school garage anthems this week, completely split the crowd. Some people were loving it, others not so. We even got slated by an ironic 'I dress like an idiot to hide the fact that I'm hideously ugly' girl afterwards.

swears

preppy-kei
Never got that tactic, I just dress as generically as possible to avoid attention.

Anyway, what did she say was her beef with it?

She didn't specify a specific problem with it, just tried to take the piss as though we should have been embarrassed for playing it. The night has always been big on indie and electro and some kids seem to be offended that since we've taken it on we don't ever play The Libertines. I think she was probably one of them. Still, there was enough kids there dancing to it to justify us playing some more next week.

swears

preppy-kei
I went to a alternativey/record collector night once and give one of the Scratch Perverts a thumbs down for playing out "Seven Nation Army". Didn't make a big fuss, though. His set had been pretty good up until that point.

tom pr

I saw the Scratch Perverts in Aberdeen and it was literally the biggest pile of shit ever. About half an hour of good music (all grime, dubstep and hiphop), followed by an hour of Justice and then an hour of Blur and Nirvana. Funny thing is that at least they're a bit of a gimmick act- Semtex did pretty much the same thing last time I saw him DJ.

[Edit: though swears, if it had been Apathy's remix of Seven Nation Army it would've been blessed, right?]