2008 tips/predictions/hopes

tom pr

Oh yeah, and it dawned on me today what I am most looking forward to next year: ROACHEE'S RETURN SET!

mms

sometimes
She didn't specify a specific problem with it, just tried to take the piss as though we should have been embarrassed for playing it. The night has always been big on indie and electro and some kids seem to be offended that since we've taken it on we don't ever play The Libertines. I think she was probably one of them. Still, there was enough kids there dancing to it to justify us playing some more next week.

lots of people are snobbish abut things like that!

straight

wings cru
a lot of middle england kids dont really get that garage was ever an underground thing, their sole memories are shanks and bigfoot and artful dodger on TOTP

swears

preppy-kei
a lot of middle england kids dont really get that garage was ever an underground thing, their sole memories are shanks and bigfoot and artful dodger on TOTP

Yeah, I loved all that, though. ""Fill me In" and "Gotta get through this" were great pop tunes. Good times.
After that I became more interested in the non-mainstream stuff, it was a gateway.

Immryr

yeah im definitely guilty of ignoring garage first time around, it was about 2 or 3 years ago when i started going back and taking notice.

straight

wings cru
it was 'straight from the heart' that got me in on garage, those plasticy trumpets. though this wasnt really something you let people know in 6th form in an irish boys school.

mixed_biscuits

N

nomadologist

I hope there's a single released in 2008 that's half as good as "The Way I Are" and I'll be happy.

Benny Bunter

yeah im definitely guilty of ignoring garage first time around, it was about 2 or 3 years ago when i started going back and taking notice.

Me too. I feel slightly foolish now. I've been working backwards from dubstep and grime this year. I wonder if a lot of people are doing this at the moment. Even though its much darker and all that, dubstep just seemed a lot more accessible to me than UK garage ever did. I think it must have been So Solid Crew or somebody that put me off!

So what are the big names in garage and two-step doing now? MJ Cole and all them...
Wanna get more into garage, but not really sure where to start. Hmm, another thread perhaps...

viktorvaughn

Me too. I feel slightly foolish now. I've been working backwards from dubstep and grime this year. I wonder if a lot of people are doing this at the moment. Even though its much darker and all that, dubstep just seemed a lot more accessible to me than UK garage ever did. I think it must have been So Solid Crew or somebody that put me off!

So what are the big names in garage and two-step doing now? MJ Cole and all them...
Wanna get more into garage, but not really sure where to start. Hmm, another thread perhaps...

That's exactly how I felt 18 months ago! Pretty gutted to have not paid attention earlier. Search for garage, 4x4, 2-step etc there are some top threads.

viktorvaughn

this is exactly, to the letter, what i've been saying! trim and durrty goodz are the two grime emcees who i think could really appeal to a wider, hip-hop rooted audience if given half a chance and decent promotion. unless jammer makes 13 different versions of murkle man, i don't see him doing the same. SOMEONE SIGN TRIM FFS :mad::mad::mad:

Three years ago that was me - classic/canonical hiphop, MF Doom, big dadda, bit of studenty ninja tune stuff. If someone had played me Wiley I would have thought it was balls, if I had heard Trim I think I would have loved the wordplay and maybe the lack of overt agression in his voice...

mms

sometimes
Three years ago that was me - classic/canonical hiphop, MF Doom, big dadda, bit of studenty ninja tune stuff. If someone had played me Wiley I would have thought it was balls, if I had heard Trim I think I would have loved the wordplay and maybe the lack of overt agression in his voice...

the hip hop people i know think grime is weird and they can't rhyme.
they miss the other influences that affect the mc styles and beats an think it's just kids stuff about shanking which is a shame, it's definitely not hip hop though.

viktorvaughn

the hip hop people i know think grime is weird and they can't rhyme.
they miss the other influences that affect the mc styles and beats an think it's just kids stuff about shanking which is a shame, it's definitely not hip hop though.

Thing about Grime that you can't deny is that there is absolutely loads of gun and shankchat. So when my friends site that as an objection and I try and explain that if done well the aggression is amazing musically it sounds like a weird defence.

Immryr

i never try and defend any element of grime to anyone really. if they dont like it theyre probably a c*nt anyway.

viktorvaughn

i never try and defend any element of grime to anyone really. if they dont like it theyre probably a c*nt anyway.

Yeah that's the point I have got to really...given up on ever really defending it and also having mates who will come to grime nights with me!

Yeah that's the point I have got to really...given up on ever really defending it and also having mates who will come to grime nights with me!

i have tried in vain to get anyone from uni to go to a grime night with me for some years now (even dubstep was a bit of a push a while back, probably would jump at it now), bar a few close friends who are up for anything.