2008 tips/predictions/hopes

boomnoise

♫
i hope that a second wave of dubstep producers emerge with talent equal to or greater than the foundation producers'. and that they get the attention they deserve.

headhunter

Been a lurker for a short time here, about time i wrote something.

hopes and what i look fwd too:

2562 Album
Shack album
Anything from substance and vainquier
Atheus album
Aphex twin album
Autechre album
Midimilliz/Extrawelt album
More 4/4 soca-style and tripped out shroomy dubstep
Ott Dubstep album

I probably missed a lot , but thats from the top of my head.

zhao

there are no accidents
Thing about Grime that you can't deny is that there is absolutely loads of gun and shankchat. So when my friends site that as an objection and I try and explain that if done well the aggression is amazing musically it sounds like a weird defence.

do these people object to the representation and glorification of violence in movies as well?

or what about classical paintings of war? what about the iliad or the odyssey or grendel? do they dismiss these things for having loads of "gun chat"?

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Grime is the victim of having shit PR. Not bad press. Or negative press. Or negative content. Just shit PR.

Hip Hop, Movies even Dancehall to some extent all make money from implied violence.

Grime does not.

And to be honest in reality the level of violence in Grime is not even remotely close to the level of actual violence in and around Hip Hop and Dancehall's core audience.

spooky girlfriend

Wild Horses
-Will be interesting to see this newly rave-oriented thing develop further. I like bassline but isn't is it just garage?
-New Cuban Linx. Apparently it'll carry the hardcore element that RZA shed from '8 Diagrams'.
-Hope this year brings some surprises, so we can give them cool-sounding labels and shit.
-The 40th anniversary release of the White Album. Come ooooon
-A big fire in Shoreditch. Plague of locusts, whatever.
-Dirty Canvas comes to Norwich.

The first piece of music I heard this year was Baggy Trousers. The first album was Scott Walker's 'Tilt'. Oh and did anybody else watch Point Break? I lasted ten minutes.

viktorvaughn

do these people object to the representation and glorification of violence in movies as well?

or what about classical paintings of war? what about the iliad or the odyssey or grendel? do they dismiss these things for having loads of "gun chat"?

I think they don't like what they see as the relentless aggression and hyper-masculinity of it. I can't really be bothered having arguments about it though maybe I should, I just go on with the listening myself!

gumdrops

i hope this year will be less about delivery systems and downloading and *THE INDUSTRY* and all that stuff and just be more about the music. less retro-ism. more forward thinking. more risks. more interesting stuff. i think 07 was quite terrible in many ways, even though there were some good albums out there. i hope 08 will be the year that not everyone feels it has to be 'full-on mainstream or nothing'. there arent any particular albums im looking forward to though, as im not that hopeful, but im sure new artists will arrive who i like and albums i wasnt expecting to be good (cuban linx for example) will be better than i thought. well i hope so anyway.

and no, my friends wont come to grime nights either! there should be a 'my mates dont like grime' meet-up lol.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
-A big fire in Shoreditch. Plague of locusts, whatever.

Oh and did anybody else watch Point Break? I lasted ten minutes.

Spot on. Point Break remains in my mind as one of the only films that has ever passed under my head to such a degree that I simply couldn't continue wathcing. it was like a televisual lobotomy. And I speak as someone who endured Paris, Texas (surely one of the world's most over-rated films?) solely due to the luminescence (sp?) of Nastassja Kinski.

Yes, a big fire really wouldn't be enough. Pestilence might just pass muster.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
i have tried in vain to get anyone from uni to go to a grime night with me for some years now (even dubstep was a bit of a push a while back, probably would jump at it now), bar a few close friends who are up for anything.

"and no, my friends wont come to grime nights either! there should be a 'my mates dont like grime' meet-up lol."

I have been meaning to put a question up regarding 'difficulty in getting your friends along to certain kinds of musical events', but refrained due to not wanting to feel like a sad bastard whne everyone replied "God? Really? I've just been with a couple of my mates to an Indonesian bassline night and they fucking loved it!"

So, I shall now have faith enough to start said topic.

I have to routinely, ahem, white lie about what the content of the evening will be to get ppl to come certain places with me. My ultimate triumph was with Eskimo Dance back in the day...

Immryr

ha! what did you tell your friends was going to be on at eskimo dance?

(un)forunately this isnt really a problem for me, as there arent very many things put on here that i would like and have to convince people to go. to

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I kind of, um, extrapolated from hip hop. One of them was my girlfriend of the time, so I guess that was easier.

But yes, proud of that one. Managed a similar trick with the first Dirty Canvas. Haven't been to many since :cool:

Pestario

tell your friends
Juke music is gonna get big!!! (ok maybe not big till 2009/2010) - file this under hopes as well as predictions - chk

Yesss! and booty music in general becomes popular in the uk and kids have footwork battles on the street, i.e. London becomes southside Chicago! Dubstep also picks up some booty influence and spawns some sort of Booty-step, if you will. It'll be similar to current dubstep but with non-sensical, repetitive, misogynistic chants over the bass lines. CAN'T WAIT.

More plausibly, minimal becomes less popular making room for harder wachine-machine techno to be big again.

gumdrops

I have to routinely, ahem, white lie about what the content of the evening will be to get ppl to come certain places with me. My ultimate triumph was with Eskimo Dance back in the day...

HAHA. i have done this quite a few times. one friend who came to me to house party left in horror after an hour and a half when it turned out the wobbler-ism wasnt going to stop any time soon. another i took to that rinse night a while back and she tried her hardest to get into it but just looked uncomfortable when my 'its underground music, its not all dark, really' summary turned out to not be quite true. luckily, they werent the only people i was with lol. its easier to get gfs to put up with it though - they have next to no choice in the matter when they make you go with them to see the likes of athlete and the bloody killers.

Last edited:

doom

Public Housing
Yesss! and booty music in general becomes popular in the uk and kids have footwork battles on the street, i.e. London becomes southside Chicago! Dubstep also picks up some booty influence and spawns some sort of Booty-step, if you will. It'll be similar to current dubstep but with non-sensical, repetitive, misogynistic chants over the bass lines. CAN'T WAIT.

More plausibly, minimal becomes less popular making room for harder wachine-machine techno to be big again.

:cool:

dunno about washing-machine techno but the momentum growing in house music has me excited.

I was amazed a few months ago to discover some "C-Walking" vids on utube from my old highschool... musical backing was fairly trad-rap'n'b but the seeds have been sown :D

was at a fairly odd club night the other week where a mate was dj'ing and bumped into some old crew from the hXc scene... house'n'rap is fast becoming the north-west passage!

viktorvaughn

and no, my friends wont come to grime nights either! there should be a 'my mates dont like grime' meet-up lol.

I have one mate who does not live in London who likes Grime.

Seriously if anyone is stuck shout cos I'll probably be going on my 1s anyway!

gremino

Moster Sirphine
Over a half of 08' has gone now. So, how is your predictions/hopes come true?
Here's some of mine:
- more bedroom producers emerging from uk funky house and increase of broken beat end of sounds. I Hope (or predict!) all this generic house sounds slowly slips away and this raw uk house sound takes the place.
Has actualized well :)
- more 4x4, housey and uptempo dubstep. More emphasizing to the drums
Has actualized quite well too :)
- hard4 evolving and growing
I haven't heard much of this stuff recently... I must search some producers Myspaces, people like Dj Klassics and Morph.
- niche getting experimental production (okay maybe not in 08, but maybe further in the future?)
Does anyone know is any experimental productions going on?
- grime evolving in its own way, none of this hiphop stuff. More grime-instrumental vinyls getting released.
The vinyl-releases doesn't look good, but I have a feeling when listening to Spyro, that more actual grime is being made. Dunno then how much it's old stuff though...
- hardcore breaks developing more unique sound, not just doing the same oldskool.
Some of this has happened, like this and this. Though in this case I should talk generally about 'nu rave' (not the Klaxons thing!!!!).
- Naphta's Space2pace-project getting more interest from producers!!
This is still very Subvert central-centric, but I'm very hopeful about this!
- and one big hope: more people in Finland giving interest to these styles!!
Not happened :(