josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
Words cannot express my contempt for JG.

EDIT: That said, he has written worse pieces.

Last edited:

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Words cannot express my contempt for JG.

no disagreements there.

on other hand I & most of the people I talk to who care about this stuff share a lot of Morris' feelings. if not his inclination to place all the blame on the Arabs (or, rather, a particular strand of the Arabs).

but that general sense of hopelessness, very much so.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
I'm not disagreeing so much as saying that I don't know if the Israeli govt would be capable, even enough of it wanted to, of dismantling or even halting settlement. or even if it could, if it would be willing to face the public outcry. I think Westerners often underestimate the tremendous internal pressure w/in Israel.

& again - & this is not a new problem or anything - what's the incentive? who is the guarantor of whatever promises the Israelis extract in return for what they concede?

good points

padraig (u.s.)

well, a couple things. if anyone's interested.

that pressure swings both ways, admittedly. pro-peace sentiment/demonstrations were a notable, if not the main, factor in pressuring Begin into making peace w/Sadat. however I reckon that 1) the settlers & their supporters have a disproportionate amount of influence & that they are stronger in their convictions than those who would oppose them, & 2) general opinion has if anything hardened considerably since the late 70s when Israel was still feeling quite strongly the aftershocks of the October War. I don't know if this will improve either - the Ashkenazim/kibbutzim/war hero elite can't dominate the country forever & as I understand it the Sephardim (as well as the Russians) are on the whole considerably more conservative.

that lack of faith in guarantees is critical. & well justified in my eyes too, given the extremely lackluster record of the UN etc. as a guarantor. there's also the question of who can credibly dealt with on the Palestinian side - that is, what Palestinian leader or group could actually enforce any agreements made on "the Palestinians".

also, a lasting peace (or at least improvement from the status quo) simply will not be imposed by American pressure. we don't have the credibility, the will, the political juice to do it. people forget that Israel/Egypt, for all the mythologizing of Camp David & Carter*, was an Israeli/Egyptian & not an American thing.

on a personal note I have to say I find the phenomenon of Americans & Europeans imposing their bullshit morality on both Israel & the Palestinians from afar to be galling in the extreme. on pragmatic grounds, alright, but whenever the moralizing, or even worse the suggestion of some kind moral authority, is introduced...dude, it makes me want to scream.

*not to undercut his enormous personal contributions & dogged, bordering on insane, determination to put an agreement through

padraig (u.s.)

The thing is, for all their myriad flaws - arrogance chief among them - the Ashkenazim elite are probably preferrable to some of the alternatives. They're secular, for one thing.

either way, you reckon there's probably only one more generation really. I mean Netanyahu was born in '49, just old enough to have served in the War of Attrition (following the 6 Day War) & the October War.

Last edited:

padraig (u.s.)

and well I'm here talking to myself, an anecdote on Israel & Israeli identity I recently heard from my mom.

a few years before I was before she & my dad spent a year living in Israel. 79-80 or 80-81, can't remember, either way in that rather upbeat pocket in between the treaty w/Egypt & the invasion of Lebanon. my mom wanted to stay permanently - (ironically it was my dad, who moved back in '88 & has been an Israeli citizen for 20 years, who objected). when she told this to the teacher at her ulpan, he said - "to be an Israeli, you have to believe. it doesn't have to be the same thing - you don't have to believe in Greater Israel, or even in Zionism really. but you have to believe."

not all True Believers like my dad, but believers nonetheless. & not to suggest that the Palestinians aren't believers as well. anwyay if it's not clear Israel, its history, its weltanschauung, etc fascinate me endlessly. the good & the bad.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
i gotta say Padraig, this thread is what, 25, pages old?

and your contribution is enriching endlessly.. ..chest ya

padraig (u.s.)

one thing.

Obama officials say the choice of Cairo for his kiss-and-make-up speech to the Muslim world does not amount to an endorsement of Egypt's unlovely government. Hillary Clinton, the secretary of state, last week met members of Egyptian pro-democracy groups (but not the Muslim Brotherhood, the biggest, banned opposition party). She urged Egypt to "exhibit more respect for human rights".

that paper I linked is about exactly this, U.S./Egypt relations - remember that relationship (& the massive amount of U.S. aid) is a direct result of the peace treaty w/Israel.

These are positive signs from the US, where the domestic situation is rearranging, against AIPAC and their Likudnik masters.

no offense but I dunno as cherrypicking a few articles from the last year & a half, from exactly the kinds of progressive Jewish sources who are AIPAC's mortal enemies, is evidence of "the domestic situation rearranging". would that it were so, but, unfortunately. also, irrelevant aside - I can't stand f**king Medea Benjamin. the poster-woman for feelgood affluent liberal bullshit (tho tbf you can't knock her personal courage).

also do not underestimate the caginess of the Israelis (infinitely moreso than their lobbyists) & Netanyahu personally.

in other words I'll believe it when I see it.

Last edited:

padraig (u.s.)

oh shit I just noticed a mention of an old mate who I'd lost touch with in one of the things Josef linked.

Tristan Anderson - he was shot in the face by an IDF tear gas canister while in Palestine doing solidarity work against the Wall. he might lose an eye - or he might have lost it already, as this happened 2 1/2 months ago. fucking unbelievable. this is just gutting.

here's an actual video of the shooting
*EDIT* it's actually of the aftermath of the shooting - also I should posted a warning (sorry, wasn't thinking straight) - it's pretty graphic

some of the comments are just fucking appalling, even for youtube.

I'm sorry. this is just devastating. we weren't close friends but I knew him pretty well, spent 2 days in jail with him once after a protest in D.C. & I'd always see him around town when I lived in Oakland. he's an ultra-dedicated, lifelong anarchist, hell of a nice guy too. he always used to have all these mad stories from Europe & Turkey & all these other places.

christ this is terrible.

Last edited:
D

droid

that was the implication.

How so? Was it because of that resolution which gave them a state or the fact that they make the odd meek protest everytime Israel deliberately attacks its facilities and kills its employees?

D

droid

oh shit I just noticed a mention of an old mate who I'd lost touch with in one of the things Josef linked.

Tristan Anderson - he was shot in the face by an IDF tear gas canister while in Palestine doing solidarity work against the Wall. he might lose an eye - or he might have lost it already, as this happened 2 1/2 months ago. fucking unbelievable. this is just gutting.

here's an actual video of the shooting

some of the comments are just fucking appalling, even for youtube.

I'm sorry. this is just devastating. we weren't close friends but I knew him pretty well, spent 2 days in jail with him once after a protest in D.C. & I'd always see him around town when I lived in Oakland. he's an ultra-dedicated, lifelong anarchist, hell of a nice guy too. he always used to have all these mad stories from Europe & Turkey & all these other places.

christ this is terrible.

Shit man. My sympathies. I've nothing but admiration for those people.