autechre - quaristice (2008)

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
It's like the Aphex single with Mega Banton... he plays it out but won't release it, don't know why...

Of course you know about the time Lady Saw hooked up with Boards of Canada? Not pretty... shows you can't just buy credibility...

mms

sometimes
It's like the Aphex single with Mega Banton... he plays it out but won't release it, don't know why...

Of course you know about the time Lady Saw hooked up with Boards of Canada? Not pretty... shows you can't just buy credibility...

aphex did a track with daddy freddy tho

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I've only got the first album (which I love to bits) and a few other early tracks - is the stuff they've done more recently comparable? In theme, style, quality...? Bit of a vague question, I know. The response to the new one seems mainly positive, might have to treat myself, I haven't got hold of any new music for aaaages.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
I've only got Draft 7.30 out of their recent stuff, but I find it very beautiful in a really abstract kind of way - the way the rhythms and micro-rhythms trip off each other, the buildup and release, the spatial element of it combined with the anti-naturalism of the sounds, the ebb and flow of the tracks. It sort reminds me of a Bertrand Russel quote: "Mathematics, rightly viewed, possesses not only truth, but supreme beauty - a beauty cold and austere like that of sculpture, without appeal to any part of our weaker nature, without the gorgeous trappings of painting or music, yet sublimely pure, and capable of a stern perfection such as only the greatest art can show."
Yeah, that's a nice quote. One of those microsound composers said he wanted his music to be enjoyed in the same way people enjoy algebra, which caused a lot of discussion about whether that makes any sense for music. Can't remember who it was now, you could find the microsound list archives and go hunting.

I do have heaps of respect for Autechre, especially as they do seem totally committed to just doing their own thing. I guess it's why I keep checking in on every release... I just have yet to find anything I connect with after, well, I think they were already falling off around 'Chiastic Slide'. That said, I don't really like their first two albums much either. Guess I'm just a fussy bastard.

zhao

there are no accidents
wha? did someone say something? funny i thought i heard something about... nevermind. musta imagined it.

I'm gonna make some tea and sandwiches (Jasmine and PB&J), anyone want some?

zhao

there are no accidents
Mmm yes please!

sorry i made the jasmine a bit too strong you might wanna add some water or else you might get a bit jittery if you know what i mean. but the crunchy "Barney's Best" and fresh Rasberry Jam on white bread cut into diagonal halves is just perfect :D funny europeans tend to dislike peanut butter. out of their minds if you ask me. but i guess maybe not true of the english? always been a sensible lot i reckon.

mixed_biscuits

heheh Yeah I love peanut butter.

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are the tops.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm sorry, but Marmite OWNS peanut butter. With a vengeance.

Not sure what this has got to do with the new Autechre album - unless there's a track called 'Marmitrix_01' or something?

mixed_biscuits

Not sure what this has got to do with the new Autechre album - unless there's a track called 'Marmitrix_01' or something?

Are you gunning for inclusion on the pedantry thread or something?

zhao

there are no accidents
Peanut butter + banana + white bread

but hey waddaya know. we're out of jasmine. AND peanut butter AND jam AND bannanas AND whitebread. sorry.

(a nice smack upside the head if you can guess who drank all the tea and who ate all the biscuits)

vimothy

yurp
thrusting back and forth in and out of Sen. John "Anti-Torture-Ban" McCain's daughter's Republican cunt.

but hey waddaya know. we're out of jasmine. AND peanut butter AND jam AND bannanas AND whitebread. sorry.

(a nice smack upside the head if you can guess who drank all the tea and who ate all the biscuits)

dude-wait-what.jpg