Dodgy Bad Taste Warrior Queen Lyrics

Dusty

Tone deaf
I must have slipped into some alternative dimension where dancehall spoke out about topics only after a careful analysis of the wider situation, a full reading of the possible conspiracy theories, and a good solid tin foil hat worn on the head.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
So what? Why can't you demand more from artists whatever style they work in? It's creeping (running actually) medicoretinism is what it is.

crackerjack

It's not really comparable is it? Much bigger event, longer ago, better understood, information from many sources, and not many have a problem with hating on Fascism.

More comparable would be someone coming out with a song about the 1933 Reichstag fire and happily calling the perpetrators 'Communists'.

You're determined to keep digging aren't you.

This would only be a valid comparison if the 7/7 bombings weren't carried out by Islamists. If you wish to out yourself as a troofer, be my guest.

noel emits

You're determined to keep digging aren't you.
Digging? You asked a question, I answered it.
This would only be a valid comparison if the 7/7 bombings weren't carried out by Islamists. If you wish to out yourself as a troofer, be my guest.
More comparable. The (hyperbolic) point being that it shows a disappointing lack of media and political awareness to so glibly cite the bombers supposedly stated motives. I already said I understand it's not a dig at Islam at all, just a bit wide of the mark.

As for 'truth', well I understand the difference between knowing something and being told something and taking it on faith, you know? And when that comes to the newspapers and the government I would prefer that commentators display a little incredulity. Yeah yeah, dancehall schmancehall.

Last edited:

Dusty

Tone deaf
Perhaps if the bombers had been kind enough to write us a pamphlett on the matter and left it for others to read at the site of the bombings, we would all be more enlightened and thus allowed to write lyrics on the subject.

Thoughtless bastards.

crackerjack

As for 'truth', well I understand the difference between knowing something and being told something and taking it on faith, you know? And when that comes to the newspapers and the government I would prefer that commentators display a little incredulity.

"Just asking questions", then? Right you are :rolleyes:

noel emits

Perhaps if the bombers had been kind enough to write us a pamphlett on the matter and left it for others to read at the site of the bombings, we would all be more enlightened and thus allowed to write lyrics on the subject.
So when you have incomplete information the best course of action is to go off half cocked? You know she could have said 'I don't know who you people are and what your problem is but stop fucking bombing us you cunts', that would be more honest.

crackerjack

So when you have incomplete information the best course of action is to go off half cocked? You know she could have said 'I don't know who you people are and what your problem is but stop fucking bombing us you cunts', that would be more honest.

But of course we DO know who these people are and what their problem is, because they fucking told us.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5154714.stm

We also have a pretty good idea of where some of them went to school.

Khan is alleged to have travelled regularly to Pakistan and Afghanistan to attend military training camps, [3] and is also believed to have spent time in Israel. He is also alleged to have been trained with Indonesian terror group Jemaah Islamiyah and to be directly involved with the 2002 Bali bombing [5].

After completing the hajj earlier in the year, Tanweer travelled to Pakistan for a course in Islamic studies at a madrasa. The Pakistani government has released footage of Tanweer arriving at Karachi International Airport with Mohammad Sidique Khan, believed to be the ringleader of the London bombers, on Turkish Airlines Flight TK 1056 on November 19, 2004. Tanweer and Khan stayed in Pakistan until February 8, then flew back to London together. The youngest of the London cell, Hasib Hussain, arrived in Karachi from Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, on July 15, 2004 on Saudi Arabian Airlines Flight SV 714. [11]

Intelligence sources say the school was located in Muridke, Pakistan, 20 miles outside Lahore, named Jamia Manzoorul Islam and is believed to be connected with Lashkar-e-Tayyaba, a banned militant Islamist group. The madrasa has denied any connection with Tanweer.

It is believed there was a meeting in Faisalabad between Tanweer and Osama Nazir, a suspected member of Jaish-e-Mohammed, who has since been arrested for his role in a grenade attack on a church in Islamabad that killed five. Investigators also believe that Tanweer may have met Zeeshan Siddiqui, who is associated with a number of militant groups and who was arrested in Pakistan two months ago.[citation needed]

And so on and so on.

Dusty

Tone deaf
You don't think the videotape left by one of the bombers claiming his Islamic faith and vowing to avenge his muslim brothers and sisters is real enough to be trusted then?

**edit** beaten to it by crackerjack.

noel emits

Most of that stuff, the video included, came to light long after the song was released.

It's not a big deal, but the point is that I do think it is a dumb lyric that unnecessarily parrots lazy conflations habitually made in the media. And I really would hope for more from pop artists, why not? What were the real reasons behind these events? Does it have much to do with Islam at all? Are there parallels to be drawn with other youth violence?

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
very predictable the fan-boy reaction: "oh no he didn't just criticize my favorite deejay!"

i, like most others here, love the music. that's why i played it in the first place.

but i, unlike some others, choose to also pay her respect as a human being and an artist with a voice -- and not as some talented but ultimately should-not-be-taken-seriously entertainer.

the raising of this issue is valid, whether my reading of her lyrics are wrong or right.

crackerjack

It's not a big deal, but the point is that I do think it is a dumb lyric that unnecessarily parrots lazy conflations habitually made in the media.

You mean that lazy conflation between Islamic fundamentalism and terrorism? It's a bit like the lazy conflation between the football results and the scores at 5.00

noel emits

this is interesting:so when many WOULD have a problem wiTh hating on fascism, we SHOULDN'T talk about the holocaust
The reason most people have a problem with fascism is that it is pretty much demonstrable that it leads to horrendous conclusions. The same can't be said of Islam.

Dusty

Tone deaf
unnecessarily parrots lazy conflations habitually made in the media

I think it represents the anger and bafflement at the bombers actions most people in London were feeling after the event.

Dusty

Tone deaf
am i reading too much into it or is she a right-wing jingoist war mongering tool?

Hardly fanboy reactions on here, simply people pointing out you were indeed misreading it.

noel emits

You mean that lazy conflation between Islamic fundamentalism and terrorism? It's a bit like the lazy conflation between the football results and the scores at 5.00
Well that is a conflation in fact, not everyone with strong fundamentalist beliefs becomes a terrorist, there are more factors at work, that's part of my point.

But she doesn't say 'Islamic fundamentalism'. Anyway, why 'in the name of Islam?', isn't 'you can't go killing people' sufficient? There's an emphasis there and it has strong implications, I think that's why the line grates with me.

zhao

there are no accidents
I think it represents the anger and bafflement at the bombers actions most people in London were feeling after the event.

and those exact feelings are used by governments to further their own malicious agendas.

it's like those T-shirts after 9-11 which say "WE WILL NOT FORGET". it is fucking stupid and way over simplified and encourages the evils which are done in the name of this "righteous indignation".

Logos

Ghosts of my life
and those exact feelings are used by governments to further their own malicious agendas.

it's like those T-shirts after 9-11 which say "WE WILL NOT FORGET". it is fucking stupid and way over simplified and encourages the evils which are done in the name of this "righteous indignation".

Really though, what are you on about?

This tune is clearly a first person, visceral reaction to something that happened and she wrote lyrics about it. I think she is being honest and its what a lot of other people think too. Since when does she, or any other artist, have a responsibility to footnote her lyrics with a PhD on geopolitics?