Dodgy Bad Taste Warrior Queen Lyrics

zhao

there are no accidents
Really though, what are you on about?

This tune is clearly a first person, visceral reaction to something that happened and she wrote lyrics about it. I think she is being honest and its what a lot of other people think too. Since when does she, or any other artist, have a responsibility to footnote her lyrics with a PhD on geopolitics?

i'm on about IT'S NOT COOL TO FAN THE FLAMES OF HATRED AND FEAR IN THESE TIMES.

is that so hard to understand?

Dusty

Tone deaf
It's a funny way to show respect for an artists voice by starting a thread about 'bad taste lyrics' before even bothering to listen to the whole thing in context and realise its part of a plea for peaceful action. 5 minutes on slsk is all it takes if you haven't got the track.

This thread is as much a knee-jerk reaction as any lyrics we are discussing here.

zhao

there are no accidents
Well myself I wanted to know what the conditions were that could lead to such a thing.

exactly. as did i. as everyone should have. instead of reacting. instead of getting all huffy and puffy and red in the face waving their little flags and start hating on something they don't even understand.

zhao

there are no accidents
It's a funny way to show respect for an artists voice by starting a thread about 'bad taste lyrics' before even bothering to listen to the whole thing in context and realise its part of a plea for peaceful action. 5 minutes on slsk is all it takes if you haven't got the track.

This thread is as much a knee-jerk reaction as any lyrics we are discussing here.

thanks and i will try to be more cautious in the future. but on the other hand the most intelligible part of the song is her shouting this line i have a problem with. and in the club it is the only thing which jumps out at you because the beats stop for a second and all you hear is this line.

crackerjack

i'm on about IT'S NOT COOL TO FAN THE FLAMES OF HATRED AND FEAR IN THESE TIMES.

is that so hard to understand?

She's not fanning the flames. She is doing exactly what Logos described above.

You of course have absoloutely no problem with fanning the flames of hatred. It just depends whether those flames are blowing the same way as your staggeringly simplistic playground politics.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Since when does she, or any other artist, have a responsibility to footnote her lyrics with a PhD on geopolitics?
One of the wonderful things about pop music is that if you are good you can express very complex and contradictory ideas in a very few lines. Seriously, there was a better song to be done, 'you say it's Islam, but you're just another fucked up Westerner'. That would have cut deep.

"The London bombers do not live under an occupying force but they may believe they do. They may not have suffered the daily insults of a foreign army but may have formed a view that killing themselves in the name of a “cause” was the only way to regain personal pride. It is this intention to kill themselves that must be kept in mind when trying to determine how the bombers are thinking and feeling now.

Suicide by young men is such a serious problem in Britain that it is a declared NHS target to reduce the occurrence. So it is no coincidence that these bombers are broadly of the same age and gender as the many others who kill themselves at the stage between adolescence and manhood when the pressures can seem too great and the only way out is seen to be death. If such confusions are channelled by manipulative adults and dressed with the plaudits of courage and martyrdom then vulnerable young men will succumb.'

This does suggest that, in the young men who typically become suicide bombers, the will to (self-)destruction comes first and the Cause second. Hence, once again, Schrader's acuteness in his depiction of Travis Bickle: Bickle's ultimate role as redeeming avenger (although are those final scenes a fantasy sequence? I'm never sure) is somewhat arbitrary. He could just as easily have been the assassin of a presidential candidate, pursuing his own damnation and self-destruction through the destruction of an other. Too much commentary on the suicide bombings has presupposed that the perpretrators of the attacks are committed zealots rather than confused drifters, carriers of thanatoidal teenihilstic death force for hire."

http://k-punk.abstractdynamics.org/archives/2005_07.html
http://k-punk.abstractdynamics.org/archives/005847.html

Last edited:

crackerjack

But she doesn't say 'Islamic fundamentalism'. Anyway, why 'in the name of Islam?', isn't 'you can't go killing people' sufficient?

That would make her a pacifist. Maybe that's a position she doesn't hold.

There's an emphasis there and it has strong implications

Yes, that Warrior Queen is aware that there are currently way too many people killing in the name of Islam.

Logos

Ghosts of my life
One of the wonderful things about pop music is that if you are good you can express very complex and contradictory ideas in a very few lines. Seriously, there was a better song to be done, 'you say it's Islam, but you're just another fucked up Westerner'. That would have cut deep.

"The London bombers do not live under an occupying force but they may believe they do. They may not have suffered the daily insults of a foreign army but may have formed a view that killing themselves in the name of a “cause” was the only way to regain personal pride. It is this intention to kill themselves that must be kept in mind when trying to determine how the bombers are thinking and feeling now.

Suicide by young men is such a serious problem in Britain that it is a declared NHS target to reduce the occurrence. So it is no coincidence that these bombers are broadly of the same age and gender as the many others who kill themselves at the stage between adolescence and manhood when the pressures can seem too great and the only way out is seen to be death. If such confusions are channelled by manipulative adults and dressed with the plaudits of courage and martyrdom then vulnerable young men will succumb.'

This does suggest that, in the young men who typically become suicide bombers, the will to (self-)destruction comes first and the Cause second. Hence, once again, Schrader's acuteness in his depiction of Travis Bickle: Bickle's ultimate role as redeeming avenger (although are those final scenes a fantasy sequence? I'm never sure) is somewhat arbitrary. He could just as easily have been the assassin of a presidential candidate, pursuing his own damnation and self-destruction through the destruction of an other. Too much commentary on the suicide bombings has presupposed that the perpretrators of the attacks are committed zealots rather than confused drifters, carriers of thanatoidal teenihilstic death force for hire."

http://k-punk.abstractdynamics.org/archives/2005_07.html
http://k-punk.abstractdynamics.org/archives/005847.html

I think thats an interesting and fruitful perspective, but seeing that is not the same as agreeing with Zhao's complaint.

What I find most interesting is that clearly the lyrics have pricked his worldview and more than anything else make him uncomfortable...and he can't see why they don't have the same effect on others.

Me, I quite like it when people are blunt and try to tell it like it is, even if its only a part of a necessarily very complicated story.

Last edited:
You bought the record, have presumably had it since late 06 or early 07, and have played it out but only now realise what she's saying?

noel emits

I think thats an interesting and fruitful perspective, but seeing that is not the same as agreeing with Zhao's complaint.
I don't necessarily entirely agree with zhao's complaint but it's interesting because I found that line annoying as well, more because I never really felt the London bombings had much to do with Islam as such. And I know that's not what she's saying but it does kind of serve to reinforce the idea that there is some correlation, and under the circumstances yes that is problematic I would say.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"i played a warrior queen and i think bug track at the party last sat. and somehow before never noticed her shouting something along the lines of "you can't go around killing people in the name of Islam". i think i just hit stop and started playing another tune."
Come off it Zhao, this is the second stupidest thing you've ever said (after the thing about HMLT never being rude to anyone), it's a completely uncontroversial lyric, to read right-wing propaganda into it is weird.

mms

sometimes
Yes of course I have. And that line you just quoted was meant a little bit tongue in cheek. But I do mean the bit about expecting more.

have you heard any other song thats broached the subject of the uk bombings in anyway?
i haven't although stn mentioned one by yt, it seems to me to be quite alot to expect a song about the subject let alone one that fulfills the correct geopolitical left wing analysis quota, even though that clearly isn't the purpose of the song here at all.

i don't think it fans the flames of hate here either, i mean to potential racists listen to much harsh grimey dancehall sung by a Jamaican woman produced by a white guy, who founded the group with a member of the notorious group fundamental these days?

The song is about reaction and its very hard to say that the bombings have nothing to do with the 'faith' of the men involved even if you want to leave the word religion out of the equation.
Personally i think the lyric where she says 'you're a fuckin madman' is the more dubious lyric, but it's part of a rant.

i find this from Zhao more problematic:

'and it throws a much more alarming spin on her cut "DEM A BOMB WE". (which by itself might be explained as run of the mill machismo and gun-talk, or even in the sense of "we be droppin lyrical bombs")

i'm shocked that someone who sees himself as some kind of carrier for 'shanty house' has so little regard for the performers and the lyrics they're writing, that song is old, you think you woulda listened to the song, and realised that it's not boring old black on black violence she's chatting about.

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
I never really felt the London bombings had much to do with Islam as such.
how you felt has little to do with it though. the bombers felt that they were serving islam. and, in the immediate aftermath, warrior queen felt both terrified by the violence and anger at the notion that people would use religion to justify the mass killing/maiming of civilians (including working class people, immigrants, other muslims) who have no control over the "war on terror." that's the "we" she's talking about, not britain.

noel emits

Erm, how I feel about it has at least as much to do with it as how Warrior Queen feels about it, for me anyway...
have you heard any other song thats broached the subject of the uk bombings in anyway?
i haven't although stn mentioned one by yt, it seems to me to be quite alot to expect a song about the subject let alone one that fulfills the correct geopolitical left wing analysis quota, even though that clearly isn't the purpose of the song here at all.
Yes it was just interesting to me that the song should be brought up as I'd always found those lines a bit odd, for some of the reasons that have been mentioned. 'Political analysis', well you know just an understanding that there is much more that goes into making young men want to blow themselves up than these religious beliefs. As I keep saying. But yeah, it's just a song. I did always feel that line was a bit glib though.

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
what i mean is that how you 'feel' doesn't change the facts, not that you have no right to opinions on the bombings.

you can feel that 'the London bombings [didn't have] much to do with Islam as such' but that doesn't change the motivations of the people who carried them out.

nomos

Administrator
i don't think WQ feels that the bombings have much to do with islam as such either and so she's taking issue with people cloaking the act that way.