Dodgy Bad Taste Warrior Queen Lyrics

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
you can feel that 'the London bombings [didn't have] much to do with Islam as such' but that doesn't change the motivations of the people who carried them out.
It means there is a difference between my reading of the events and the reported / stated motivations of the bombers. I would still say it's not that helpful to think of their motivations in terms of it being 'Islam'.
i don't think WQ feels that the bombings have much to do with islam as such either and so she's taking issue with people cloaking the act that way.
Yeah I agree.

zhao

there are no accidents
you think you woulda listened to the song, and realised that it's not boring old black on black violence she's chatting about.

so what is she chatting about?

have just listen to it but can't make out most of what she's saying... other than that line of course.

but i've just realized that this tune is called Dem A Bomb. i previously thought it had another name. so it's just one song...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
i'm on about IT'S NOT COOL TO FAN THE FLAMES OF HATRED AND FEAR IN THESE TIMES.

Which is exactly what YOU'RE doing by saying that a Londoner (I assume she's a Londoner?) has no right to feel fear, confusion and outrage at terrorist attacks that killed 50-odd people, and injured God knows how many more, in her own city.

zhao

there are no accidents
feeling fear, confusion, and outrage is one thing, and another to spread vehement anti-Islam messages in a pop tune.

nomos

Administrator
feeling fear, confusion, and outrage is one thing, and another to spread vehement anti-Islam messages in a pop tune.

you just said you don't understand most of the lyrics. and if you did you'd know you're wrong.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

But she didn't say "It's not OK to be a Muslim", did she? She said "Don't go around killing people in the name of Islam" (which a small, but very notable, minority of Muslims do, or attempt to do). PLEASE tell me you can see the very clear difference here - I mean, you CAN see it, right?

zhao

there are no accidents
you just said you don't understand most of the lyrics. and if you did you'd know you're wrong.

ok. i trust you enough to take your word on this.

so what i'm gathering is this: that the song is not particularly, or at all, spreading state propaganda, but that line delivered in harsh tones, which just so happens to be the part of the song easiest understood by non-patois speakers, may easily lead to interpretations of the meaning along the lines of an anti-Islam message.

this being the case (again, i'm taking your word), it is still off-putting for me; and i will have to edit it out before playing it out again.

zhao

there are no accidents
But she didn't say "It's not OK to be a Muslim", did she? She said "Don't go around killing people in the name of Islam" (which a small, but very notable, minority of Muslims do, or attempt to do). PLEASE tell me you can see the very clear difference here - I mean, you CAN see it, right?

conflating Islam with killing is what that line does, and it is problematic for me.

nomos

Administrator
Warrior Queen said:
why don't you deal with your cause more justly / they commit the crime we pay the penalty
that + "i'm scared to death of back packs on the bus now" pretty much sums it up.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
No. Conflating Islam with killing are what the people who kill in the name of Islam do.

yes and this is what she's clearly condemning, but zhao's mp3 wasn't labeled very well so he just thought it was the usual guntalk, which he doesn't mind so much.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
conflating Islam with killing is what that line does, and it is problematic for me.

But how does the line do this? It is an unfortunate fact of life that some Muslims commit acts of violence which they justify, to themselves and others, in terms of their religion. As far as I can make out, the lyric is saying that this is a Bad Thing. It is not saying that committing acts of terrorism is a necessary and integral part of being a Muslim. In fact, this sounds almost as if it's what's you're saying.

crackerjack

yes and this is what she's clearly condemning, but zhao's mp3 wasn't labeled very well so he just thought it was the usual guntalk, which he doesn't mind so much.

Now I see:

celebrating people who terrorise their own neighbourhood = good.

condeming people who terrorise their whole country = bad.

john eden

male pale and stale

No.

For me "killing people in the name of Islam" implies that Islam is actually about much more than killing, or in fact isn't about killing at all.

I think YT's lyrics on the subject are better but it is entirely fair enough for Warrior Queen to write lyrics about her thoughts on the matter, and for people to discuss them.

Perhaps Zhao should do a counteraction version on the same riddim?

In other news I saw Kevin Martin at Dirty Canvas last night and the new Bug album is finally finished.

zhao

there are no accidents

Now I see:

celebrating people who terrorise their own neighbourhood = good.

condeming people who terrorise their whole country = bad.

misunderstanding: what i meant is the TITLE of the song by itself can be construed as "the usual gun talk", which i do not condone but admit do regularly turn a blind eye on - may or may not be morally excusable. but then again gangsterism is certainly not on the same scale as hundreds of thousands dead in Iraq.

crackerjack

but then again gangsterism is certainly not on the same scale as hundreds of thousands dead in Iraq.

Treu. And if Warrior Queen had celebrated the deaths of all those Iraqis this might have been relevant.

In other news I saw Kevin Martin at Dirty Canvas last night and the new Bug album is finally finished.

Shot you in the head mek you call for a nurse,
nurse, nurse
doctor can't repair, dem call for a hearse
:D

mms

sometimes
but then again gangsterism is certainly not on the same scale as hundreds of thousands dead in Iraq.

Well Gangsterisim has it's huge death toll too, but then at the same time, gangsters don't make guns or create the situation it thrives in. That's not to excuse it in anyway. There are parallels and contrasts to be drawn all over.

petergunn

plywood violin
of course there is nothing wrong with this statement in itself.

but

• IT IS AN EXTREMELY ONE SIDED AND GROSSLY SIMPLIFIED REACTION TO THE SITUATION. (WHAT ABOUT "DON'T KILL PEOPLE IN THE NAME OF DEMOCRACY?????")

• it is an ignorant and lazy stance which does not take into account causality which goes back many decades.

• it is also the official message of dominant ideology, already ubiquitous and repeated ad nauseam in all mainstream media.

• it polarizes people, and further exacerbates current problems of racism and xenophobia.

• and it is this same message which is used by politicians to make money off of fraudulent wars.

and what about "DEM A BOMB WE"???? how is that anything BUT jingoist war mongering???

the least thing we need is our "underground" artists and voices of the inner city youths to be shouting slogans of the state. what this says for the grime (or whatever) community as a whole is "we are semi or un-educated and have the critical thinking skills of sheep".

(tried to find transcripts of lyrics for either song but to no avail...)

dude, it's a song, not a term paper...