fuck buttons

STN

sou'wester
I don't see them (the Worcester lot) as that 'noisy' it's more warm and bleepy I think. The fact that I was woken up by their 7" being played at 5am one day and I didn't kill anyone speaks volumes.

I saw them live once but I cannot remember a thing about it as I was monstered.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Yeah - it's 'noise' by aesthetic and scene association more than purely what the music is. Perhaps noise as in 'shit'. Sorry I'm being unnecessarily mean now and they are bearing the brunt for my dislike of other acts I find myself ideologically and spiritually opposed to.

CHAOTROPIC

on account
I don't know ... it's saluting the sun, isn't it? I mean, Boredoms do it, other bands have done it, sure, but there's nothing particularly new OR old about the ecstatic worship of white light ... there'll always be bands like this & they'll pretty much always sound the same. The sun's a natural opiate, even if you just stare at the one in your head. Even the something's-rotten-in-paradise muffled shrieking schtick is pretty much par for the course ... it's the ego trying to stop itself from dissolving in all that bliss, I think.

I like this. I'd be trancing my tits off if I saw them live. & next time they play London, I think I will!!

noel emits

It sounds like arse and the chords are rubbish. It's not transcendent it's just going through the motions emulating something they've heard. There's no real bliss there. The screachy vocals thing is the ego not wanting to be called a hippy by self conscious hipsters.

Nah, I'll have to hear the CD because everything online just sounds really thin and unsatisfying. Maybe it has some impact heard properly. I still think the intent behind it is just stingy. It makes me sad.

N

nomadologist

the antecedents for Fuck Buttons are not in 2001, it's in 1959-1979...

CHAOTROPIC

on account
Well the crowd look shite & the band are probably tossers & have a really really stupid name, but I don't think you need to emulate much of anything to make music like that. I was making stuff almost exactly like this a couple of years ago & the only band I'd heard out of the ones mentioned was the Boredoms. It's not about technique or chord structure or originality. It's about sensibility: you just wanna repeat & repeat & repeat until everything goes white.

Not saying they're amazingly great or anything (they're not), but as an <b>expert on the band</b>, having viewed <b>three of their youtube videos</b> :cool: I think I can see why they bother making the music they make, & that's a damn sight more than I can say for 95% of the bands I'm unfortunate enough to be exposed to.

PS: I'm not a hippy & have 0 beard.

noel emits

Play something we don't know more like.

You just illustrated that mindset perfectly. It's not transgressive or exploratory, it's just tediously familiar.

noel emits

It's not about technique or chord structure or originality. It's about sensibility: you just wanna repeat & repeat & repeat until everything goes white.
I'm totally down with that. Most of these groups just have no idea where to take that though really.

zhao

there are no accidents
ok I'm listening for first time now just because of this thread.

yeah pretty uninspired stuff. same old chords just a little more distortion. first song is ok, i like the screeching vocals. growing and a.collective and blackdice and all that...

whatever. I'm deleting it as soon as this song finishes. easy come easy go.

noel emits

I think I can see why they bother making the music they make, & that's a damn sight more than I can say for 95% of the bands I'm unfortunate enough to be exposed to.
There is that. Not sure if it justifies much though.

I was sat in a pub yesterday and the generic indie mulch wafting from the speakers kept hinting at bits of things like Joy Division or The Smiths or whatever without actually having any of the vibe that made those groups do what they did in the first place. It's totally cynical and has very little to do with making music.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It is a Hoxton age & I'm probably giving them too much credit.

This reminds me of an idea for a 'humorous' tee-shirt I had a few years ago: a drawing of some sort of ancient Briton with a big Asterix-style moustache, long mullet-type hair, tattoos etc. labelled IRON AGE, and next to it a drawing of a Shoreditch hipster ca. 2003 with an essentially identical haircut/facial hair, labelled IRONY AGE.

mixed_biscuits

This reminds me of an idea for a 'humorous' tee-shirt I had a few years ago: a drawing of some sort of ancient Briton with a big Asterix-style moustache, long mullet-type hair, tattoos etc. labelled IRON AGE, and next to it a drawing of a Shoreditch hipster ca. 2003 with an essentially identical haircut/facial hair, labelled IRONY AGE.

*puts in basket*

PeteUM

It's all grist
Saw them a little while ago with Alexander Tucker. He was chaotic and a bit crap and I warmed to him. They were punching the air, bobbing about and had the same transgressive growl-vox on every tune. They annoyed me a bit. Audience seemed to be buying it, though...

Fuck this band, wayyyyy too self serious.

and just boring.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

that is how to have fun with machines.

No, that's just as bad. :slanted:

They were punching the air,

what is it with these "new-noise" acolytes and the black power salute? it comes off as particularly ridiculous when they're surrounding a grown man crouching on the floor pushing toys around in front of a combo amp.

YAH DUDE!

mms

sometimes
No, that's just as bad. :slanted:

what is it with these "new-noise" acolytes and the black power salute? it comes off as particularly ridiculous when they're surrounding a grown man crouching on the floor pushing toys around in front of a combo amp.

YAH DUDE!

since when did punching the air become the black power salute??

this thread is a key moment in the hipper than thou shit were you eat attitude of dissensus nowdays.
oh well.