fuck buttons

sing_minimal

haha dunno, i thought the last album was alright. but yeah, in essence they're very different, though both basically do techno rhythm covered in shoegaze noise type of thing : )

straight

wings cru
i never liked xela and i don't see any comparisson there..that indeed is just dull ambient folktronica..

im not saying that fuck buttons sound like xela im saying they might be confusing him with schauss as they were on the same label and quite similar. Xelas old stuff was a bit dull but he was really young when he did it so i'll let him away with it, directions changed a fair bit as does the direction of his label Type to quite noisy stuff since machinefabriek becametheir flagship artist and hes been doing circuit bent noise stuff live recently.

Xela's last album the Dead sea http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=23220

Back on topic, i go back to my original point about the fuss on Fuck Buttons is because so few of these albums make it anywhere near official release as it compleetly goes against the DIY ethic of this sort of band. How many spraypainted one sided 7"s or sandpaper covered CDRs make it into the press (other than the wire or vital or something) or more to the point onto the internet. Your average new pitchfork guy would see this record as pretty fresh and wild because theres a lack of easily obtainable sunroof, volcano the bear etc.

Last edited:

sing_minimal

yeah, sorry..what i meant is i don't see the comparisson between schnauss and xela. one is fun and the other depressing. i heard the last xela..couple of times was enough though, it's just too depressing for my taste.

fuck buttons are quite fun as well..it's quite an important factor for me to know people doing it are having fun..i'd like to see these guys live

straight

wings cru
i tend to lump all of the manchester type/boomkat/cco electronica mafia together i guess

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
Back on topic, i go back to my original point about the fuss on Fuck Buttons is because so few of these albums make it anywhere near official release as it compleetly goes against the DIY ethic of this sort of band. How many spraypainted one sided 7"s or sandpaper covered CDRs make it into the press (other than the wire or vital or something) or more to the point onto the internet. Your average new pitchfork guy would see this record as pretty fresh and wild because theres a lack of easily obtainable sunroof, volcano the bear etc.

I think that's probably not true as they're very different in sound and i think reach and intent from the average noise band, i think the nearest comparison to them might be something on load records, yellow swans at their happiest maybe, but they're pretty different from that too. The description above is rather stereotypical of the type of cdr lead noise, free folk whatever scene thats come about in the last few years, but i don't see them fitting in there much either and one of the few interesting things about this thread are the lack of actually being able to place them, with some really off key comparisons - especially without slagging them off.

Do pitchfork like them then, i'm sure mr pitchfork can access whatever he wants via the internet and he's able to easily obtain any of the bands you're talking about and he might we musn't patronize him although for him fuck might be the new wolf:)

Last edited:

sing_minimal

as they're very different in sound

that's subjective, isn't it really?

i mean it's the same as any other music basically..people big into similar music will find differences, on the other hand people who maybe aren't that familiar with it will find it pretty similar.

it's different enough for people into this stuff to find it interesting and not different enough for other people i guess. maybe : )

mms

sometimes
that's subjective, isn't it really?

it's not subjective no they sound different, the things they mix together, the way the album is put together - the one record in that sense it reminds me of is coils ' constant shallowness leads to evil'
although its almost like a reply to the noise scenes more hairshirt extreme elements ' constant evil leads to shallowness'

Last edited:

sing_minimal

well, i think they sound very similar to some ulrich schnauss stuff from the last album..except the noise part there isn't quite as raw. ofcourse this is an subjective opinion.

i think the nearest comparison to them might be something on load records, yellow swans at their happiest maybe, but they're pretty different from that too

From what I heard of Fuck Buttons, which is admittedly not very much, they reminded me of a light version of Yellow Swans. Not totally rubbish, but missing the magic. I'll probably see them on their tour with Battles in a month with two, maybe they're better in person.

straight

wings cru
they lack the shimmer that yellow swans have, their noise is pretty one dimensional. I guessed the pitchfork thing.

Last edited:

childrentalking

Xela yes, but comparing Fuck Buttons to Black Dice, Boredoms, Animal Collective, Sunroof! and Growing are ridiculous comparisons? You're going to have to substantiate that I'm afraid.

mms

sometimes
Xela yes, but comparing Fuck Buttons to Black Dice, Boredoms, Animal Collective, Sunroof! and Growing are ridiculous comparisons? You're going to have to substantiate that I'm afraid.

i've never said that, there are similarities with a few of them, blaxck dice and sunroof more than the others, but they're also quite different.

tryptych

waiting for a time
I saw them at ATP last year and they were great, one of the best things I saw - fun, pretty euphoric and you could dance to it.

N

nomadologist

xela - well this another ridiculous comparison.

yeah i don't particularly like Fuck Buttons but the comparisons they're getting here are pretty shortsighted and weigh far too heavily on the "indie from the last ten years or so" side

aMinadaB

yeah i don't particularly like Fuck Buttons but the comparisons they're getting here are pretty shortsighted and weigh far too heavily on the "indie from the last ten years or so" side
So what comparisons/influence from earlier music would you suggest? You mentioned "from '59-'79" but that's such a broad period in terms of music history that you could say this of almost any realm of music made today. In the case of this band, what antecedent(s) do you hear as predominant then, what's the non-"shortsighted" genealogy?