fuck buttons

No, that's just as bad. :slanted:

what is it with these "new-noise" acolytes and the black power salute? it comes off as particularly ridiculous when they're surrounding a grown man crouching on the floor pushing toys around in front of a combo amp.

YAH DUDE!

black power salute?

you mean...fist pump?

And I'll defend Dan Deacon til I die, most energizing live experience around right now. Its just madcap pyrotechnic rave dance that makes fucked up young people go apeshit, which is no mean feat these days.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
this thread is a key moment in the hipper than thou shit were you eat attitude of dissensus nowdays.
oh well.
Dissensus really has been a pile of horseshit for at least a year now, wrt quality of discussion, but I still hear about more good stuff here than through any other means (outside friends).

The album track that's on Youtube seems very different from the live performances on there. I don't like any of it, but then I don't like any of the artists they're supposedly ripping off.

CHAOTROPIC

on account
Fuck this band, wayyyyy too self serious.

and just boring.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

that is how to have fun with machines.

Haha! What's that, Geeks Get God? :D Very enjoyable, cheers! Must be a right moshpit at their gigs, you can tell. I'd be right in there.

EDIT: the video is like swallowing 1000lb of semi-digested syrupy-sweet hipster bile though.

childrentalking

pointing out you find a critical darling derivative, underdeveloped and undeserving of hype is being hipper than thou? what's so good about this music? why is it what you've been waiting for? what have you been listening to before this that's meant it's such a breath of fresh air? (I'm not being snide, I'm curious).

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
They've got a fairly good line in song titles and I like the cover art. I suppose it's to be welcomed when bands are more informed by Boredoms than Rod Stewart, maybe ;)

Someone made a myspace page for Hanadensha which was a sort of Boredoms psych-drone side project some 10+ years ago (if that sort of thing matters). I dunno, check it out.

http://www.myspace.com/hanadensha

mms

sometimes
pointing out you find a critical darling derivative, underdeveloped and undeserving of hype is being hipper than thou? what's so good about this music? why is it what you've been waiting for? what have you been listening to before this that's meant it's such a breath of fresh air? (I'm not being snide, I'm curious).

i really enjoy this music and i had no idea it was critically acclaimed or whatever - i don't read any music press, but i listen to a hell of alot of music.
You do sound like you're being snide.
The album is just really enjoyable and like nothing else out there and an utter pleasure to listen to as a whole, you've not listened to it though, so you wouldn't know.

but then again you think dan deacon is good - a fat guy in kids clothes who does comedy gabber, a genre mined about a decade ago, and never for more than a cheap smirk.
This i don't understand.

Last edited:

sing_minimal

i thought it was awesome on the first listen..now i find it very average. though i haven't listened much yet..still a milion miles ahead of all the indie rockness

STN

sou'wester
i really enjoy this music and i had no idea it was critically acclaimed or whatever QUOTE]

As far as I know it's not, it just looks as if it might be at some point. That seems to be the problem.

Personally, I like it.

Edit: I CAN see why it might get on your nerves though...

noel emits

Dissensus really has been a pile of horseshit for at least a year now, wrt quality of discussion,
I dunno, I think the uptight considered theorising thing can all get a bit much and stifles discussion in the end, people don't want to join in. It needs balancing out with a bit of off-the-cuff ranting and banter sometimes. Gutterbreakz' Kraftwerk poll is a welcome and timely populist* move. Sometimes I think people are afraid of posting stuff here that might seem a bit too ILX, which is understandable of course.

*inclusivist. :)

Last edited:

noel emits

There's a bit of Bristol tradition for the noise / melodic thing with Flying Saucer Attack / Third Eye Foundation and so on. I didn't like them so much at the time but I found a copy of Distance recently and it sounds nice to me now. Obviously more introspective / reflective in mood than FB but the melodies are good and the distortion is of a similar character. Saw a guy calling himself Team Brick a little while ago and although also more ostensibly moody actually pulled off a really good performance at what was otherwise quite a disheartening event.

Oh anyway whatever, let's have some Hanatarash.
:)

since when did punching the air become the black power salute??

it was just for the sake of humour, no need to take any of this seriously.

having said that- i find it a pretty odd sight at these kinda gigs, the atmosphere of them often seems really forced. it sort of equates to people displaying they're having a good time when it doesn't seem like they are.

there's an awful lot of similar stuff around, and this doesn't seem to add much to the pile. hipness doesn't come into it!

sing_minimal

didn't ulrich schnauss do a similar thing on his last album? though i get black dice comparissons..but not animal collective ones..

mms

sometimes
didn't ulrich schnauss do a similar thing on his last album? though i get black dice comparissons..but not animal collective ones..

no ulrich snauss makes dreadful yaught ambient - really horrible holding music. it's about a million miles from this lot.

straight

wings cru

maybe confusing him with Xela? they both used to do similar folktronic stuff for the city centre offices label but hes not moved on to pretty great spooky giallo wierdness and is active on the improv noise scene in manchester

And I agree on the lack of an animal collective comparison, even on their noisiest outings (here comes the indian, danse manatee) there was always definite structure (as in a journey and a destination)

In general i've stopped doing noise gigs because of the clicky crowds involved. I've put some big ones in the past and had a reasonable amount of positive response but i enjoy hanging out with dancey folks much more.

Last edited: