Yacht-disco thread

echevarian

babylon sister
A little meaningless trivia, Precious Wilson who sings backup on When The Going Gets Tough, was also in a group called Eruption.

One of my favorite one hit wonders of the disco era.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
I reckon yacht-disco could be the next hip thing, I mean Mike Ink alluded to it on his 'life's a gas' album, so I figger the trendy kids from New York and France and Berlin will be concocting something pretty soon.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
A little meaningless trivia, Precious Wilson who sings backup on When The Going Gets Tough, was also in a group called Eruption.

One of my favorite one hit wonders of the disco era.

ERUPTION were one of the first proto-Detroit tech groops. Defintely acknowledge the Krattwerk influence way before all those fucken electro hacks. Dig the 'MUSIK LADEN' on the dude's keyboards...

echevarian

babylon sister
Slave are another one of those groups that I have a hard time getting my head around.

Early stuff from their first two albums kind of splits the difference between influencing G-Funk and Detroit Techno.

Which is to say it is fucking sweet.

But their later stuff fits more on this thread.

echevarian

babylon sister
http://www.divshare.com/download/4390521-fbe

I offer this up as evidence that Stock Aitken and Waterman weren't completely horrible.

Its a remix that Clivilles and Cole (C+C Music Factory) did of Donna Summer's Love's About To Change My Heart.

Its house, from the late 80s, and well worth a listen.

Last edited:

echevarian

babylon sister
Are the Doobies yacht disco, or would they be more yacht funk?

Where is the line between sweet sounding funk and boogie and this hypothetical genre?

Am I talking to myself here?

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Doobies in your funk?

All disco is ripe for the yacht, but not all funk, as in Ohio Players or prime JB - grits 'n'gravy: no; caviar:yes.

echevarian

babylon sister
Maybe the line that seperates the more sophisticated funk sound from the... errr... more hardcore grits and gravy style is in time.

Who made hardcore funk after Parliament (arguably) lost their shit?

Bootsy?

After 79 or 80 so many bands either went stripped down and electronic (like Cameo) or they fell off the map.

If somebody described the Doobie Brothers to me, like, imagine a group that had the harmonies of CSNY and the musicianship of Steely Dan.

Only they played whiteboy funk, I'd be sold.

Average White Band kind of fit that description somewhat too.

Maybe its all schlock, I don't know.

Last edited:

echevarian

babylon sister
Oh yeah, Steely Dan were yacht as fuck.

I've heard a good disco DJ convince me this was a disco track just through juxtaposition.

craner

Beast of Burden
Carly looks pretty fucking alarming in that last video. Imagine having that sidling up to you on the sofa!

craner

Beast of Burden
It's certainly the sauve, rich but not garish, mature but not prudish, Clintonian baby boomer end of the yacht-scene. This is not Romancing the Stone-yacht. Are we beginning to define certain parameters?

craner

Beast of Burden
That clip was recorded at Martha's Vineyard in 1984: so, the epicentre of a certain style of yacht-dom.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
has no one checked this?

this has got to be yacht based
check that moog solo it cracks me up

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
this has got to be yacht based
check that moog solo it cracks me up

yacht ballad-pop? It wouldn't be possible for C&T to do something that wasn't yacht.

heh, the moog solo sounds like a cassette tape fast-forwarding. And what's up with those kind-of-creepy muskrat-bear-mouse things dancing around? I'd be willing to wager C&T had a fursuit fetish.