Yacht-disco thread

echevarian

babylon sister
Does anyone know of anything with a sort of bossa nova feel to it like this?

Roxy Music obviously referenced it in Avalon, and some of these bands were pretty out there rhythmically. Ever tried to play Steely Dan fills, any drummers out there?

That shit is hard, we are talking cream of the crop jazz musicians here.

I'm just worried someone is going to mention Christopher Cross and induce flashbacks of listening to my father's record collection for the first time.

Oh yeah, I like Chaka's version of You Belong to Me better.

Course it belongs in the electro-soul thread.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Maybe the line that seperates the more sophisticated funk sound from the... errr... more hardcore grits and gravy style is in time.

Who made hardcore funk after Parliament (arguably) lost their shit?

Bootsy?

After 79 or 80 so many bands either went stripped down and electronic (like Cameo) or they fell off the map.

If somebody described the Doobie Brothers to me, like, imagine a group that had the harmonies of CSNY and the musicianship of Steely Dan.

Only they played whiteboy funk, I'd be sold.

Average White Band kind of fit that description somewhat too.

Maybe its all schlock, I don't know.

Funny thread...almost cheering me up after last night's football.

I think the world became pretty much a zone of zero funkativity in the late-70s, despite the best efforts of Prince or whoever.

I actually like The Doobie Brothers, and the AWB made three classics with the pervy Schoolgirl Crush (title?), Cut The Cake and of course, Pick Up The Pieces.

Roxy's Avalon is pure yacht, it pains me to say because for three LPs they were brilliant. Ferry in his Anthony Price suits was always angling for the yacht, of course - in every dream yacht, a heartache...

craner

Beast of Burden
Wanted to mention that while I was holidaying in St Tropez harbour I discovered the definitive yacht-rock-disco album:

etc.

My good friend Prince Al-Walid hipped me to it.

mms

sometimes
i went round the house of a guy who's company fix luxury yachts with broadband and gps stuff the other day, old friend of my mums and what were they listening too?
captain and tenille, they looked like em too mind you.

echevarian

babylon sister
Well some of the current crop of disco re-edits are directly referencing mid-70s AOR, Todd Terje just released a edit of America's Horse With No Name under a pseudonym.

So this may be just an excuse for disco people to indulge their individual soft rock fetishes.

Honestly I think there's more of a future in edits of post punk and the like, but whatever.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Well some of the current crop of disco re-edits are directly referencing mid-70s AOR, Todd Terje just released a edit of America's Horse With No Name under a pseudonym.

So this may be just an excuse for disco people to indulge their individual soft rock fetishes.

Honestly I think there's more of a future in edits of post punk and the like, but whatever.

Lemme just say, for mature Marxist/Freudian-post modernist intellectuals like 98% of the contribulators on this bored, yacht-disco is the perfect amathema to whatver they're at..

I'm currently kvetching the Internerd in Nottingham, a long way from the nirvana of Australia, i can't find the 'bassline' virus anywhere in the 'real world' ok I'm here for only 4 days!

Yacht-bassline disco is the NEXT BIG TING!

craner

Beast of Burden
Is this proto-yacht rock?

It's about nuclear holocaust, so possibly not. Apart from the lyrics, it's a really lovely song.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
What am I talking about, they invented this shit.

B000002J0N.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

echevarian

babylon sister
Anyone ever heard the Rub and Tug remix of the Main Thing by Roxy?

Its interesting, not as good as the original obviously, but a very decent dance remix

I also found a cover of Crosby Stills and Nash's Fair Game by a Motown artist called Mandre that makes explicit the funk or soul influence on the song.

I might post it a bit later.

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
Recently picked up the 12" of "Caribbean Queen" by Billy Ocean and I can honestly say it's one of the most gorgeous records I've ever heard. Also amassed pretty much the entire George Benson catalogue in a local shop's "all the dead stock you can carry for a tenner" deal.

Am I the only person loving this completely unironically?

Client Eastwood

Recently picked up the 12" of "Caribbean Queen" by Billy Ocean and I can honestly say it's one of the most gorgeous records I've ever heard. Also amassed pretty much the entire George Benson catalogue in a local shop's "all the dead stock you can carry for a tenner" deal.

People like this stuff in an ironic manner. I dont get it. Its not that bad it can only be enjoyed ironically. Youngsters nowadays. <Combs grey hair and sings Gimme the Night/>

DRMHCP

People like this stuff in an ironic manner. I dont get it. Its not that bad it can only be enjoyed ironically. Youngsters nowadays.

Couldn't have said it better myself...
And to compare George Benson and Steely Dan with rubbish like Captain and Tenneille and Carly Simon is like including Kraftwerk and 2Unlimited in a "genre thread" because both acts are from Europe and used keyboards.

Obviously you have to be quite an old git (like me) to remember the London pirates (JFM, Solar, Horizon, pre-legal Kiss etc)before 1988 and George Benson (and even his more commercial albums always had some pretty serious club tackle hidden amongst the more commerical pop jazz-funk) was a staple of these - yes as late as 1987! I used to have the final Solar Radio day on tape (from 1986/87) with them playing all the classics and yes George featured heavily that day.
While Steely Dan/Donald Fagen were (excepting some of the Britfunk bands early Level 42 etc) about the only white band who you were ever likely to hear on the pre-house dance music pirates.
And as most of the movers and shakers from 1987/88 acid house had their roots in that old soul/funk/jazz scene and which provided the structure for it to take place it could be said without the likes of George Benson etc there'd have been no (British) house explosion and therefore probably no Dissensus to be being ironic about him on...

Oh and isn't it common knowledge that the only white "rock" acts that Black Americans went to see in significant numbers were Steely Dan/Michael MacDonald - so hardly the preserve of white rock execs...in fact with Steely Dan being one of the few rock bands with genuinely intelligent members i'd have thought they were a bit cerebral for some arch capitalist rock executive...

Last edited:

mms

sometimes

nah that track 'living inside your love' by george benson is gangsta's choice :)

Client Eastwood

And to compare George Benson and Steely Dan with rubbish like Captain and Tenneille and Carly Simon is like including Kraftwerk and 2Unlimited in a "genre thread" because both acts are from Europe and used keyboards.

And as most of the movers and shakers from 1987/88 acid house had their roots in that old soul/funk/jazz scene and which provided the structure for it to take

Oh and isn't it common knowledge that the only white "rock" acts that Black Americans went to see in significant numbers were Steely Dan/Michael MacDonald - so hardly the preserve of white rock execs...

Ya Mo Be There crew hold tight !!
Most Quincy Jones Production were brilliant at this time.
yes even Jugde Jules and David Pearce :rolleyes:

Last edited: