Flying Lotus-Los Angeles (2008)

elgato

I just dont know
yeh that track very much stands alone on the EP to be fair. texturally the rest is all rough edges, wheras that track is so crisp. i find the feeling much more techno also, wheras I find the rest soulful and / or human

Now I think about it, its mad of me to single it out as favourite though, the whole EP is ridiculous. i just like to be different

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Hmm.

Surprised to hear no mentions of "Breathe. Something/Stellar Star", "Camel", "RobertaFlack" (AKA the Dolly song) or "SexSlaveShip" yet. My necks stills hurts from my first listen.

One.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
How do people think it compares to stuff like Lukid's 'Onandon' and Take's 'Eathtones and Concrete'? I like the latter especially for having a bit more variety than you get on most of this type of album...

mms

sometimes
How do people think it compares to stuff like Lukid's 'Onandon' and Take's 'Eathtones and Concrete'? I like the latter especially for having a bit more variety than you get on most of this type of album...

its a varied record, with three vocal tracks, no mcing.
i thought the lukid album was really quite boring personally.
there is alot of this stuff about at the mo, i'm kind of wishing someone would stick to doing crunky, hyphy sounds with psychedelia a bit more, some of the rustie and hudmo stuff sometimes sound like they've got their keyboards set fully on clever, half on wacky of you get what i mean, i don't get that feeling they're really serious enough artists, not in the league lotus is anyway.

elgato

I just dont know
i don't get that feeling they're really serious enough artists, not in the league lotus is anyway.

im actually really glad about that though. there are things that can be created only by a wilder less focussed mind that cannot by a more serious 'artist', and likewise vice versa. so im glad that there are the two sides going on here, i think it will make for the production of more interesting music overall

mms

sometimes
im actually really glad about that though. there are things that can be created only by a wilder less focussed mind that cannot by a more serious 'artist', and likewise vice versa. so im glad that there are the two sides going on here, i think it will make for the production of more interesting music overall

i dunno it's a case of some music is better than other music for me, some people are more dedicated and naturally talented.

i'm really enjoying the mike stott record that just came out tho.

gumdrops

im fuckin sick of 'wacky' music. toddla t is another example of what mms was talking about.

i do like lotus. get a bit of deja vu with it, reminds me or late 90s stuff, just through the prism of modern detroit influences, but i like the wooziness/haziness of it.

Alfons

Way of the future
the launch party looks sick:
http://www.flying-lotus.com/losangeles/images/Brainfeeder625-2.jpg

I did a mix in this vein, some of the artists discussed here:

mp3:
http://kalli.breakbeat.is/mp3/kalli_-_mai_hip_hop_mix.mp3

tracklist:
1. Flying Lotus – Tea Leaf Dancers (Warp)
2. FLYamSAM - The Offbeat (Ghostly Swim)
3. Lukid – Ski Fly (Werk)
4. Dabrye, Jay Dee & Phat Kat – Game Over (Ghostly International)
5. Flying Lotus – 1983 (Plug Research)
6. Rustie – Just 4 Kicks (Instrumental) (Stuff)
7. Hudson Mohawke – Ooops (Lucky Me / Wireblock)
8. Cool Kids – Black Mags (Chocolate Industries)
9. Danny Breaks – The Octopus (Intergalactic Starfighters) (Alphabet Zoo)
10. DJ Vadim featuring Moshun Man – Terrorist (Ninja Tune)
11. IntroBeats – Untitled (CD-R)
12. Harmonic 313 – Problem 3 (Warp)
13. Bullion – Get Familiar (One Handed)
14. Prefuse 73 – I´ve Got No Time for Rearviews (Warp)
15. Anti-Pop Consortium – Silver Heat (Warp)
16. Madlib – Chop Style (Suey Blast) (Stones Throw)
17. J Dilla – Light Works (Stones Throw)
18. Samiyam – Donuts with Sprinkles (Fat City)
19. Blackalicious – Make You Feel that Way (MCA)

More mixes in my podcast:
http://kalli.breakbeat.is/music/music.html
http://feeds.feedburner.com/kallibreakbeat/podcast

Last edited:

faustus

^^^ that looks great, on the d/l. been wanting to do a mix like this.

[not to be a pedant but the lukid track is called 'ski fly' - 'the now ep' is so great!]

Alfons

Way of the future
^^^ that looks great, on the d/l. been wanting to do a mix like this.

[not to be a pedant but the lukid track is called 'ski fly' - 'the now ep' is so great!]

fixed, Im a bit pedantic about things like that myself, can't believe I missed that.

Client Eastwood

listened to that mix over lunch alfons. heavy ! ! !
oh man. as soon i get home that going to be playing on the hifi for a proper listen.

ordered the CD too :D

Alfons

Way of the future
Thanks for the kind words guys :D

am hoping to bag the album this weekend, altho the vinyl version isn't out yet is it?

straight

wings cru
finally the hiphop left field is appealing again. those anticon cds are staying taped up in boxes though.