Flying Lotus-Los Angeles (2008)

Blackdown

nexKeysound
i had a great time at Brainfeeder. Rustie, Hudson Mo and Kode were my highlights as was the massive warehouse venue. great vibe...

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
i had a great time at Brainfeeder. Rustie, Hudson Mo and Kode were my highlights as was the massive warehouse venue. great vibe...

Yes to all of that- it was a stupendously good night and Kode9 was just incredible (as always- every set he plays now is just off the planet genius)

And Rustie played 3/4 Heart by Black Dog, a tune I was too young to hear on a dancefloor at the time and had never expected to hear again, so big that up.

How awesome was that- i'd never heard it on a dancefloor before either but unfortunately that is down to chance and not age.

mms

sometimes
yeah it was lush i thought lotus was amazing - i don't really get the trip hop connection it was much more electronic, at a nice slow speed - really building it, mixing in lots of things with exuberance, reminded me more of slow disco at that speed, rather than hip hop liked the window licker edit and the martyn mix of roberta flack, he was the highlight for me.

rustie and hudson were a bit all over the place, some good tracks in there, some real messy over the top wonky stuff that ruined things, good tho overall and kode was versatile and on point as ever, i only caught half of mala's set but it was a bit darker than i hoped for esp in contrast with the dayglo blur of lotus' set before, half speed pretty rigid stuff, was hoping for some lighter more galloping and housey, gaslamp played some good stuff, anyone stay for danny breaks?

Last edited:

tom pr

we turned up at ten and they were already out of tix. and rough trade is fifteen minutes from me but i thought because tix went on sale that day i'd be fine - i'm absolutely gutted i missed it.

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
I probably should have left earlier- i have to admit that i was kind of doing the zombie shuffle by this point- i was actually so tired that even the concept of having a home to go to seemed weird. And then when i did try to get home, i got the wrong bus and it took me about 3 hours.

Ballad thinks the future is boring, i think the future is exhausting :D

faustus

http://alldj.org/index.php?name=News&op=Article&sid=17317

Flying Lotus on the essential mix:

Alice Coltrane 'Galaxy In Turiya'
Charlie Hayden+ Egberto Gisomonti / Gonjasufi 'Testament'
Flying Lotus 'Massage Situation (Stripped)'
Dimlite 'Sun Sized Twinkles'
Flying Lotus 'Robertaflack Ft. Dolly'
Flying Lotus 'Robertaflack (Mike Slott Reflunk)'
Ahu 'I Know All The Bitches (Bullion Remix)'
Heralds Of Change 'Amuse'
Carlos Y Gaby 'Happy Summer Solstice'
Pudge 'Yung Infamous'
Dorothy Ashby 'Myself When Young'
Nosaj Thing 'Bach'
LL 'Turf Day'
Flying Lotus 'Infinitum (Dimlite Remix)'
Clark 'Springtime Epigram'
Burial 'Shutta'
Blank Blue 'Blank Blue (Flying Lotus Remix)'
Daedelus 'I'm String Struck'
MHE 'Untitled'
Daedelus / Madvillain 'Experience/Accordion (Flying Lotus Live
Remix)'
Hudson Mohawke 'Zoo0000oom'
Rustie 'Black Block Remix'
Teebs+Jackhigh 'Idea 1 (Clutch)'
Matthewdavid 'Tallahassee Tapes'
Martyn / Flying Lotus 'Vancouver+Pet Monster Shotglass'
Fulgeance 'Chico (Dorian Concept Remix)'
Joker 'Solid State'
Rusko 'Moanerz'
Daddy Kev 'Invite8'
Ras G 'Star Messenger'
Madlib 'Unreleased Gem'
SAMIYAM 'Cheesecake Backslap'
Knowledge 'Dawn'
Flyamsam 'Princess Toadstool'
Sa-Ra 'Hollywood'
Muhsinah / Flying Lotus 'With Me/ Melt'
Flying Lotus 'Dissecto'
Flying Lotus 'Breathe'
Mike Slott 'Home'
Flying Lotus 'Sangria Spin Cycles (Ambient Mix)'
Danny Breaks 'Cosmic Dust'
Flying Lotus 'Beginners Falafel (Free The Robots Remix)'
SAMIYAM 'Falafel Cannon'
Flying Lotus 'Beginners Falafel'
Slum Village 'Players (Instrumental)'
Flying Lotus 'Cackle'
Flying Lotus 'Raise It Up'
Osborne 'Definition Of A Breakdown'
Baron Zen 'Burn Rubber (Dam-Funk Remix)'
Mono/Poly 'Needsdeodorantbitch'
Chocolate Star / Nelly Furtado 'Stay With Me/Promiscuous'
Gonjasufi 'Suzie Q'
Kiing Midas 'Lost (Flying Lotus Live Remix)'
Rusko / Flying Lotus 'Terminal3' / 'Tea Leaf (Dancers Live Remix)'
Daedelus 'Hours Minutes Seconds (Beat Invitational Version)'
Kode9+Flying Lotus 'Kryon'
Zomby 'Spliff Dub (Rustie Remix)'
Busta Rhymes 'What Up'
SAMIYAM 'Crystal Lake'
Weather Report 'River People'
SAMIYAM 'Flintstone Car'
Flying Lotus 'Backpack Caviar'
Radiohead 'Reckoner (Flying Lotus Remix)'
Bjork 'All Is Full Of Love'
Broadcast 'Winter Now'
Portishead 'Elysium'
Linda Perhacks 'Hey Now Who Really Cares'
Flying Lotus 'Infinitum (Exile Remix)'
Flying Lotus 'Live Set Practice Run'

Tanadan

likes things
People people gather round... how does everybody think this holds up now? I realise this is a slightly odd question, but when the album came out I felt like 'OMG! here is the true music of the future - electronic yet organic, emotional, sequenced like a good DJ set, and without any jungle-istic and easily dating "we bring you the future" elements' - and now, after relistening over the past couple of months, it just seems overly fussy and loopy, and often tracks seem underdeveloped and include annoyingly tokenistic samples ('oriental' sitar, ambient 'jungly' noises, 'jazz' signifiers)... also, the sound is not very nice, played on a good set of speakers its very cracked and jagged and lacks the clean punch of a lot of other electronic music..

Last edited:

UFO over easy

online mahjong
i guess the third ep is on the horizon? they just repressed 1983 if anyone was after that

nah its the sort of epic fucked electro tune which comes after that short track, so im wondering if it is in fact what you think is feeble!

18 months later and i was of course wrong about dancefloor stalker, its great

moolac

flylo rustie and hudson murdered glasgow on friday.

one of the best gigs i've ever had the pleasure of being involved with.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
People people gather round... how does everybody think this holds up now?
I didn't particularly like it at the time, and find it's certainly not growing on me in the slightest when I'm exposed to it.

I think the volume of other roughly similar stuff is also a bit of a detraction - feeling over-saturated on moody instrumentals with stumbly beats. I know that's not all there is to it, but still.