Buying records

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I'm not a big fan of sound degradation on vinyl (it does my head in that every time I play something, I'm making things worse for the next listen). Nor DUST."
It may well be that I'm lying to myself that I like that kind of thing to make myself feel better (though really it's not as bad as all that is it?). Ultimately, for a reason I can't really understand or articulate, I prefer vinyl and any reasons I do give are probably just post-justification or whatever you want to call it. I certainly don't proselytize for vinyl because I have no arguments for it being better.
One thing that nobody has mentioned about collecting records is that I reckon that the bottom will slowly drop out of each market. If you're planning to retire on your rare doo-wop collection then you had better get rid of it soon because in a few years there won't be many people left who want to pay good money for it. The same will presumably happen to each old genre.

Dusty

Tone deaf
slightly OT, but as a media how reliable are cds over long periods of time ? do they deteriorate ?

A proper CD will last for many years, I suspect that at normal room temperature and in a dry environment they will probably just sit there for the full century the makers originally claimed. A CD will definately outlive your harddrive.

CDr's however use ink rather than an actual etching into the aluminium, and these things fade really quickly. Don't back your mp3 collection up onto a CDr, it could be gone in 10 years.

I've got about 2000cds clogging up my front room, although I'm not holding on to them for any collectors value, its more the artwork, and the fact its still easier for me to put a CD into my stereo than it is to wire up a computer and play the FLAC files. I think with time this is going to change.

If you legally buy mp3s these days, its often the same money (or even cheaper) to get the album on amazon preowned than it is off any mp3 store - and I'd always prefer to have the CD backup.

Re: the artificial collectors market, I like the small handmade runs that certain labels are doing of 3" CDrs - even if said CDr is dead in 10 years... it's a nice way to keep releasing music. It's not as if there is even any profit in it at all. It really is becoming a hobbyists past time to both buy and make music.

Last edited:

DJ PIMP

Hard drives are a stepping stone toward having all (your) music stored on the net, which can then be streamed to your portable media device via a ubiquitous wireless connection. In the future.

We've seen this trend already with email; moving the client from the desktop pc to the web; gmail etc.

I can't see a future for physical media.

petergunn

plywood violin
What genres explicity cater to Collectors?

Certainly industrial music does with all its "box set edition of 555 copies, with bonus 10 inch disc including recordings of the producer going to the toilet in a tibetan monsastery" hype.

IDM seems to in some forms, also black metal?

rip81.jpg

Certainly industrial music does with all its "box set edition of 555 copies, with bonus 10 inch disc including recordings of the producer going to the toilet in a tibetan monsastery" hype.

This is very true-though largely it's so the major players can make a living out of their music. they know that their audience is relatively small but quite fanatical...a hangover from when NWW et al records WERE relatively hard to obtain. They're prepared to exploit that audience pretty cynically though I'm surprised it still works in the days of myspace pages etc.

There's a similar tendency on the fringes of avant garde music to produce similarly ridiculously limited and overproduced editions...though i suppose there's a crossover audience-wise

john eden

male pale and stale
I think in the days of myspace there will still be people who want to own stuff that nobody else has -

things which are tactile/exclusive/pricey >>>> things which are ephemeral/unlimited/free

Ha ha that's my first ">>>>>>"

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I think in the days of myspace there will still be people who want to own stuff that nobody else has - "
Definitely, isn't that why more people go to gigs (and pay more for the privilege), to "own" the experience of being there?
I reckon that in the near future there will be an increase in (some) people valuing local things and experiences that you can't get over the internet.

For sure- what i meant was the air of marginality and mystery long cultivated by these artists has been somewhat dispelled by their new found accessibility via the internet, willingness to play live and so forth. I would have thought it undermined the "esoteric" nature of their product, which was surely a large element of the appeal for those that bought into it. of course their audience has grown up with them and now has the disposable income to underwrite their latest "follies"...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm not a big fan of sound degradation on vinyl (it does my head in that every time I play something, I'm making things worse for the next listen). Nor DUST. :mad:

Then get yourself one of those turntables that reads records by laser - no physical contact between the disc and the read mechanism! :D

No idea how much they cost, though.

mixed_biscuits

No idea how much they cost, though.

Would there not be wear and tear from photons smashing against the vinyl?

IdleRich

IdleRich
"this Malcolm Catto record came out in late March and people are already selling it for 2 or 3 times the retail price on the internet..."
I had to buy copies of that for three people - should have kept a few for myself...

matt b

Indexing all opinion
I'm not a big fan of sound degradation on vinyl (it does my head in that every time I play something, I'm making things worse for the next listen). Nor DUST. :mad:

get a decent stylus, set it up properly and use a lid on your turntable= virtually no damage.

the whole bespoke/ltd edition thing bores me to tears and it gives record buyers a bad name.

so you've got a marbled 8" by artist x, ltd edition of 87?

i can pretty much guarantee it'll be rubbish.

KernKätzchen

I think that they are not as reliable as they were originally claimed to be - but wasn't there some story about how you could increase their life expectancy by refrigerating them or something (even as I write that it sounds like bollocks)?

I went on this training course on how to back up your work safely (it was a fun day out) where we were told that CDs last '2-20 years'. Which seems like a ridiculously wide range, but I suppose it depends on whether you have them knocking around in your car out of the box or not.
But two years? Two? :eek: Hardly indestructible, then.
We were also told that it's the side with the label on that you shouldn't touch, not the shiny side.
Trouble with CDs (or any digital format) is that when they go, they really go and become completely unplayable, start skipping and looping etc. whereas you can have a fairly scratched and scuffed vinyl record that will still play ok with just hiss and crackle. There are loads of shellac discs and 78s around from the early 20thC that still play...

KernKätzchen

Re: record collectors. There's a chapter in Evan Eisenberg's The Recording Angel about an old guy who has spent so much on records over the years he can no longer afford to eat and lives in pitiful squalor in a house that creaks with the weight of tons of vinyl. Once he has acquired them though, he's happy to give them away to people. He refuses to sell any. Fascinating, if also sad.

woops

is not like other people
Re: record collectors. There's a chapter in Evan Eisenberg's The Recording Angel about an old guy who has spent so much on records over the years he can no longer afford to eat and lives in pitiful squalor in a house that creaks with the weight of tons of vinyl. Once he has acquired them though, he's happy to give them away to people. He refuses to sell any. Fascinating, if also sad.

Vinyl 2000 is a documentary film about some of these kind of people. The guy who has a bed made of records but can't sleep on it because of all the records etc. Worth watching if you want to see how far buying records can go.